Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
David Johansen

Default Promote GURPS Here!

So, as a spin off of the Raise a Million For GURPS thread, it was suggested by SJG that we need to get out there and promote GURPS on-line. So, I've started this thread for people to use to point out places where we can do so.

In general I think dog piling every "system for setting" thread out there would probably be in bad taste but we could promote GURPS by starting spin-off threads on doing specific settings and putting a link in the root thread.

So, to start off, here's one I've spun off of a thread about universal systems:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...c-Comedy/page2
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
brianfb

Default Re: Promote GURPS Here!

If you want to promote gurps, run it at cons. Tough to sell a game where some absolutely necessary books like martial arts are no longer available in print form though.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Nymdok

I do what I can to try to boost the GURPS signal on Twitter, but evangelizing at cons is still probably the best course of action.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Cybren

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
If you want to promote gurps, run it at cons. Tough to sell a game where some absolutely necessary books like martial arts are no longer available in print form though.
the average RPG gamer does not go to cons, let alone plays in con games
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
brianfb

Gurps needs to be taught. Just dropping the rulebook in front of someone is a nonstarter for most folks given the loud thud they make :)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I decided to advertise an online game on the game finder for these forums. I'm getting about 50% gurps newbies. From advertising a game on these forums!

Playing with people you haven't before, whether at a con, online, or face to face, will help.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Gigermann

Run online GURPS games and advertise them in the forum for the virtual tabletop you use. For instance, for the Fantasy Grounds VTT, the more GURPS games that are available, or even being discussed, on the Fantasy Grounds community forum, the more curious folk will find and/or join them.

Online equivalent of running con games.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
soulnafein

I have a couple of suggestions for introducing new players to gurps:

1) Use a well known setting, possibly a modern or sci-fi one where I believe GURPS shines. Maybe based on a famous videogame.
2) Don't over do with character points (150 max)
3) Use character templates, very simple ones. Don't give too much choice (offer the option to browse the book and customize)
4) Print a simplified character sheet that doesn't show costs of each skill, it confuses some players, just show skill name and value

Now obviously this encourages new players. I guess that to encourage GMs you need to find other GMs to play games for.
soulnafein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

If you're a parent, make sure your kid(s) know how to play so they can infect their friends. O;>

You can also potentially leverage parenthood by offering to run games after school (ideally with historical or historical-based settings, to be educational). You'll need a school with an extant gaming club, and/or a teacher willing to hang around and let you use their classroom while they grade papers and stuff. (You will also probably need to go get fingerprinted, as a non-employee volunteer.)

If you can go this route, remember that while you should absolutely help the kids ease into GURPS, the mathematical aspect of it will become a selling point when you talk about it to other parents and/or staff. *evil grin*

(Honestly, I think Munchkin was useful for my kid's addition and subtraction abilities, when she was a wee munchkin herself. ^_^ )
Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

I'll second Beth. I spread the GURPS virus through my local teenagers when I lived in Kansas. I directed a summer theatre program, got to know which of my kids were already gamers, and then induced them to join me for a run of "Flight 13," the old GURPS Horror adventure. They got hooked pretty hard, and since the parents already knew me, there weren't the trust issues that might have otherwise arisen.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote