Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #11
JoelSammallahti

Default Re: TL 0 campaigns?

Man, I'd love to play in any of those. (I'm a sucker for anything prehistoric, and there's a real dearth of good entertainment set back then.)

I've run a couple of TL 0 one-shots a few years ago. In one, the PCs were vaguely Melanesian-ish canoe people looking for a good spot to start a village after splitting from a bigger band that had invented authoritarianism. In the other, the PCs were teenagers undergoing their initiation into manhood: hunting, psychedelics, and goofing around. It was great until one of the players suddenly got food poisoning and cut the session short! Bit too realistic, then. :D

I also started my current vampire campaign in chalcolithic Central Europe. I remembered reading about dogs being buried with grave goods like people, and archeologists speculating about their status as group members, so one of the one-off PCs was a dog! He was a super valuable party member too, and fun to stat up.

Anyway, I think when it comes to research, prehistory's a lot more forgiving than later eras because there's so much we just don't know. Especially when it comes to the paleolithic, we pretty much know what kinds of stone tools people made, and a little bit about burial customs and what little we can guess about diet and lifestyle from skeletons. So you can invent all the rest without stepping on the history nerd players' toes too much.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Any TL0 campaign I run would be fairly urbanized - Çatal Höyük, Jericho, pre-Dynastic Egypt, Inca Empire, pre-Columbian Iroquois Confederation, etc. This wouldn't be a "straight" TL0, as each of these is often considered TL1 or better in some respect (commonly agriculture, architecture, and/or mathematics), but clearly lacking knowledge of how to smelt copper, gold, silver, tin, and other soft metals as well as limited to pure muscle power for a lot. I may permit stuff like domesticated woolly mammoths and whatnot, though. ;)
GURPS Low-Tech says quite explicitly that even though bronze is the signature technology for TL1, a society can count as TL1 if it's advanced enough in other ways. Agriculture, pastoralism, urbanization, full-time craft workers, literacy, some form of money, and state-level political organization all are relevant. Of your examples, I'd say the Incas have enough of those to be considered TL1; probably the others don't.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #13
sn0wball

For TL 0 alternative history, part 1 of Stephen Baxters Northland triology, Stone Spring, would be a great inspiration (apart from being a great novel). If nothing else, it shows how a few individuals can completely reroute history during the stone age.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
The Colonel

I recall reading the (?3e) GURPS Ice Age which seemed useful for this sort of thing... and can be had quite cheaply on WH23 if the idea interests you.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I recall reading the (?3e) GURPS Ice Age which seemed useful for this sort of thing... and can be had quite cheaply on WH23 if the idea interests you.
Important bits from it went into GURPS Dinosaurs, and other important bits (with some overlap) into the original edition of GURPS Low-Tech, and into the 4/e GURPS LTC 3.

I must confess that one of the books I've daydreamed about writing is GURPS Tribes, which would be a guide to how to run campaigns set in TL0 societies and worlds, including suggestions on "primitive culture construction" akin to the alien race and planetary design rules in GURPS Space. In my current TL1 campaign, though, I did the culture design by eyeballing it. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Important bits from it went into GURPS Dinosaurs, and other important bits (with some overlap) into the original edition of GURPS Low-Tech, and into the 4/e GURPS LTC 3.

I must confess that one of the books I've daydreamed about writing is GURPS Tribes, which would be a guide to how to run campaigns set in TL0 societies and worlds, including suggestions on "primitive culture construction" akin to the alien race and planetary design rules in GURPS Space. In my current TL1 campaign, though, I did the culture design by eyeballing it. . . .
I'd buy that in a hot second.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #17
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Shut up and take my gift economy
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've played in a play by post game that did TL0. It was fun when we had an aim, but the GM struggled with that.

Some source books are fascinating to read but difficult to play, and I think I've found TL0 to be like that. Though I'm sure if I set my mind to it I could make it work.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I must confess that one of the books I've daydreamed about writing is GURPS Tribes, which would be a guide to how to run campaigns set in TL0 societies and worlds, including suggestions on "primitive culture construction" akin to the alien race and planetary design rules in GURPS Space.
Yes, please.

I've played a TL0 game, not under GURPS, and it was immense fun. It really makes you focus on essentials.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #20
The Colonel

Quote:

Sounds useful ... and, as per Iceage, some detail on how to do shamanism well wouldn't go amiss given the prevalence of animism in many human starter cultures. I know thaumatology touched on it, but there was more elsewhere in previous editions IIRC...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign design, gming, setting design