Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Whitelaughter

Default Do the archives still exist?

Wanted to find an NPC from 2005 (Laver, the ethereal water elemental/bath tub) but the archives seem...gone. Are they just having a hick up or are they gone forever?

was looking here: http://mail.sjgames.com/pipermail/in-nomine-list/
going further back, got told I didn't have permission to access these archives: http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/digests/
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Do the archives still exist?

I don't know! I hope someone who has more clues will post about what might have become of that material.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
Wanted to find an NPC from 2005 (Laver, the ethereal water elemental/bath tub) but the archives seem...gone. Are they just having a hick up or are they gone forever?

was looking here: http://mail.sjgames.com/pipermail/in-nomine-list/
going further back, got told I didn't have permission to access these archives: http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/digests/
These URLs are invalid, but if you use the sjgames.com Search feature, some of the list .txt archive files will open. Forex:
http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/dig...98/9/1-943.txt

But I can't browse up from there. And a search of Laver turns up nothing.

I'd hate to lose the archive...
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
Attercap

The search appears to be broken as well. No matter the search term, it returns no results.

I'm hoping this is a general permissions issue on the text files or their directories rather than a loss of the files themselves. Seems like it, given one of the files can be reached. And, if that is the case, then it should only require some administrative tweaks. ...But I don't have any authority within SJ Games servers.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Celti

SJG switched from self-hosting their mailing lists to using Google Groups to host them instead. You can find the current archives of the IN list on Google Groups, but these only go a little ways back and the previous archives don't seem to have been imported.

As for accessing the previous archives at their previous location, it looks like the mail.sjgames.com subdomain has been removed, and the webserver tries to redirect any requests for it at the normal domain over to the (now-nonexistent) mail subdomain. I'm pretty sure the archives are still 100% intact, and could be accessed at http://www.sjgames.com/pipermail/in-nomine-list/ if the SJG webmaster would just remove that redirect.

(This of course assumes I've correctly sussed out what the server architecture for SJ Games is/was. Hopefully I'm not wrong...)

Last edited by Celti; 01-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Celti

In the meantime, it's a wonderful thing that sites like Narkive exist.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
thorr-kan

PM Archangel Beth; she'll know who to contact.

The list is still accepting and sending emails; I tested it this morning. But the option to subscribe to and receive digests quit working awhile ago. I don't have a timeframe, unfortunately.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
But the option to subscribe to and receive digests quit working awhile ago.
You should be able to fix that by going to the Google Groups page for the list, clicking the "My Settings" button (the icon of a bust with a gear), selecting "Membership and email settings" in the drop-down menu, and then setting "Email delivery preference" to "Send daily summaries" or "Send combined updates".
Old 01-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Aleph
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
As for accessing the previous archives at their previous location, it looks like the mail.sjgames.com subdomain has been removed, and the webserver tries to redirect any requests for it at the normal domain over to the (now-nonexistent) mail subdomain. I'm pretty sure the archives are still 100% intact, and could be accessed at http://www.sjgames.com/pipermail/in-nomine-list/ if the SJG webmaster would just remove that redirect.

(This of course assumes I've correctly sussed out what the server architecture for SJ Games is/was. Hopefully I'm not wrong...)
The pipermail redirect was to another web server, that was running on the now-decommissioned mail server we used to have. Those archive files and the pipermail setup do not exist on our current web server.

The files that existed were archived offline, but no plans were made to put them online, as the list had not had any activity for over a year before the server was decommissioned.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
The pipermail redirect was to another web server, that was running on the now-decommissioned mail server we used to have. Those archive files and the pipermail setup do not exist on our current web server.

The files that existed were archived offline, but no plans were made to put them online, as the list had not had any activity for over a year before the server was decommissioned.
Does the ability exist to put the files back online? They're text files; they can't be that big. While I didn't post to the list very often, I did dig through the archives on a regular basis.

On the other had, small private company with limited resources. I understand that a moribund game line will not be a high priority.