Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Pyramid #3/96: Tech and Toys IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to hear what you think of this issue.
It's a very solid issue with a very high level of long-term utility. This is actually typical of Tech and Toys issues.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #22
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
No, the memory material adds a fixed amount of energy to each shot, so a number based off the user's ST wouldn't make sense (actually, if my math and engineering were better, I might have tried to work out some way to calculate how much memory material should add based on the underlying ST of the bow - since GURPS ST is quadratic, a flat bonus to ST is technically adding more energy to higher-ST bows. But I don't have the math for that, so the current system is a workable approximation).

For higher-ST aliens, in any case, you can just get a bow rated at a higher ST.
There's no easy way to add a realistic ST bonus so going the flat bonus route works and is what Ultra-Tech did for Power Armor.

About the only thing you could of done is crate a table that lists a range of bow STs and then show how that bow ST goes up with material X, Y and Z but that would of eaten pretty hard into your word count limit.

But for those who want the detail but don't know that math it's pretty simple, just time wasting. Using a spreadsheet will make your life much easier.

Just take the flat bonus, add 10 to is and then figure what Basic Lift itwould have then subtract 20 from the Basic Lift. This is your actual ST bonus. Now go find the ST of the normal bow you want to use, figure the bows Basic Lift and add the actual ST bonus to it and then refigure the bows new ST. from that. Once again, this is why Ultra-Tech went with flat adds heh.

For a spread sheet just add a cell called "ST Bonus" and add the materials ST bonus to is, another one called called "Base Bow ST" and add the ST value of the normal bow you are using as a base and then an output cell called "Actual Bow ST." In the "Actual Bow ST" cell add a formula like this: ROUND(SQRT((("Base Bow ST"^2/5)+((10+"ST Bonus")^2/5)-20))*5))

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #23
Kalzazz

Is the bow stuff compatible with Low Tech and High Tech bow stuff?

'ie Thr+X' type stuff?

Or is it TDS style 'the bow does X damage'?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #24
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Is the bow stuff compatible with Low Tech and High Tech bow stuff?

'ie Thr+X' type stuff?

Or is it TDS style 'the bow does X damage'?
It's the former. I put a priority on agreeing with stats in sourcebooks. But I used the Deadly Spring's spreadsheet to help calculate reasonable damages, and the article includes the materials stats for the new materials I used, so you can use The Deadly Spring to make your own bow designs if you want.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #25
benz72

I just wanted to point out, in the context of futuristic building practices, that we are on the cusp of adopting autonomous building machines as can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ycr...ature=youtu.be

and already have some semi-automated ones like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVWayhNpHr0
Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I got a year and more subscription from the I want it all on the kickstarter. Is this going to be included in that?
Disclaimer: Pyramid subscriptions are not my department, so please do not take this as Word of God! But as I understand it, we can't start those subscriptions until after we send out the Kickstarter survey, collect everyone's info, and then close the survey. And we haven't even sent out the survey yet.

(As of now, we've only asked the "I Want It All!" backers for their email, which is completely separate from the survey and Backerkit process.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalminos View Post
Is there no tl9 rigid material for armor making? (what are tl9 space armors made of?)
Sure there is, but David covered that in "Cutting-Edge Armor Design" from Pyramid #3/85: Cutting Edge. He only included Reflec in this system because it was inadvertently left out of that one.

That's why the introduction to his article mentions that article as covering TL9 armor design, why I linked to that issue in my OP, and why both his article's intro and my OP described this sytem as covering TL10-12 armor with a single nod to TL9.

(I'll leave your other questions for David and Kelly to tackle.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #28
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Disclaimer: Pyramid subscriptions are not my department, so please do not take this as Word of God! But as I understand it, we can't start those subscriptions until after we send out the Kickstarter survey, collect everyone's info, and then close the survey. And we haven't even sent out the survey yet.

(As of now, we've only asked the "I Want It All!" backers for their email, which is completely separate from the survey and Backerkit process.)
I totally understand the reasons and logistical concerns behind the thing, and that it's probably not possible — but if there's a suggestion box I'd dearly like to slip in a request for “Add a survery/BackerKit option to backdate Pyramid subscriptions to the date of the Kickstarter.”
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #29
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Out of curiosity, which PC? I skimmed through the introduction posts on your blog, but didn't see anyone called out as an archer. I'd be interested in reading about their adventures if they started using something from the article.
That would be Ezekiel LeStrange aka Technomancer from the B-Team.

And they likely are. I'm going ot have to redo the bow...but I'm good with that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #30
The_Ryujin

Ok got it and yep, David... you just killed three of my future blog posts lol. At lest I was on the right track with them, especially with electromagnetic armor though it looks like he changed how you figured how many uses you get (I get 133 uses off of a D cell for a Heavy Battle suit when Ultra-Tech lists it as 10).

Though I did notice two typos in the article. The formula for figuring how many uses you get from electromagnetic armor, as it is currently written, actually gives you MORE(!) uses the bigger you armor is! It should be Pc divided by DRc, not multiplied by DRc!

The second typo I noticed right in the preview PDF, the example armor has AD 10.5, that should give it PF1 not 2! It would of needed an AD of at lest 20 to get 2.

But other then that, I'm loving this issue. More Tech and Toys please!

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/96