Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Ezra

Default Frequent hits to the groin using the Human and Humanoid Hit Location Table

Do hits to the groin occur too often when players strike at "whatever target presents itself"? My players rarely call their shots, and the fact that the "Human and Humanoid Hit Location" table (B552) assigns the groin to rolls of 11 (a common roll on 3d6), it comes up often. Shouldn't hits to the groin be rare (a critical hit location even)?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Frequent hits to the groin using the Human and Humanoid Hit Location Table

Basic Set sets the Groin as too easy to hit; Low Tech fixes this by replacing it with the Abdomen, and Low Tech: Instant Armor reintroduces the possibility of randomly hitting the groin (on a hit to the Abdomen, roll 1d; a 1 means a hit to the Vitals, a 2-4 means a hit to the Digestive Tract, a 5 means a hit to the Pelvis, and a 6 means a hit to the groin; I'd be tempted to remove one or more of those Digestive Tract results and replace with "no special effect," personally). -3 to hit is probably insufficient of a penalty, but probably isn't horrible (it being 1/6 to hit on a -1 to hit location implies it should be -5 to hit, which seems more appropriate).
Old 08-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Frequent hits to the groin using the Human and Humanoid Hit Location Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
Do hits to the groin occur too often when players strike at "whatever target presents itself"? My players rarely call their shots, and the fact that the "Human and Humanoid Hit Location" table (B552) assigns the groin to rolls of 11 (a common roll on 3d6), it comes up often. Shouldn't hits to the groin be rare (a critical hit location even)?
Probably, yes.

This is fixed if you use the revision to the hit locations from GURPS Low Tech, which changes hit location 11 to the 'abdomen', which is just more of the torso (but differentiated for purposes of body armor).
Old 08-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Ezra

I see it. That resolves the issue. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Basic Set sets the Groin as too easy to hit; Low Tech fixes this by replacing it with the Abdomen
Oh interesting, I hadn't seen that Low Tech was indeed doing that. That's a much better hit location table! (although I generally don't roll for Hit Locations, I have all attacks hit the torso unless specifically aimed at something).

Quote:
-3 to hit is probably insufficient of a penalty, but probably isn't horrible (it being 1/6 to hit on a -1 to hit location implies it should be -5 to hit, which seems more appropriate).
Yep, at some point my players figured that the -3 penalty was quite worth it for all the benefits you get from a groin hit, and suddenly the game became inappropriately comical, as they would hit every NPC guard in this area... I think -5 to hit is a lot better, since IIRC it's the penalty for hitting the neck, and the two parts seem pretty similar in size and difficulty to hit. At least, using -5 helped recover the original tone of the game... :)
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
...I think -5 to hit is a lot better, since IIRC it's the penalty for hitting the neck, and the two parts seem pretty similar in size and difficulty to hit. At least, using -5 helped recover the original tone of the game... :)
I like this house rule. I think I'll implement that as well.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
I think -5 to hit is a lot better, since IIRC it's the penalty for hitting the neck, and the two parts seem pretty similar in size and difficulty to hit. At least, using -5 helped recover the original tone of the game... :)
It's -5 to hit the Face (from in front, or the Skull from behind), the Neck, the Shoulders+Upper Arms (that is, to avoid the forearm and elbow), or the Thighs, although those last two are a bit problematic in terms of size (but GURPS has some built-in assumptions about presentation and the like, basically assuming the hands are easier to hit than the upper arms, despite the latter being noticeably larger). Again, the Groin being as difficult to strike as any of those sounds roughly appropriate.

Note the same methodology I used implies the Vitals would be -4 to hit (1/6 to hit, thus 5/6 "protection") on the Chest or -5 to hit on the Abdomen, the Digestive Tract would be -3 to hit, and the Pelvis would be -5 to hit. The RAW values for these are -3, -3, -2, and -3 (although I'll say the Abdomen Vitals being the same penalty to hit as the Chest Vitals is problematic, as the Abdomen is often less armored than the Chest).
Old 08-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
Donny Brook

I have a long-standing house rule that gives a +1 bonus to active defenses vs. groin shots.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
Rupert

Quote:
Basic Set sets the Groin as too easy to hit; Low Tech fixes this by replacing it with the Abdomen, and Low Tech: Instant Armor reintroduces the possibility of randomly hitting the groin (on a hit to the Abdomen, roll 1d; a 1 means a hit to the Vitals, a 2-4 means a hit to the Digestive Tract, a 5 means a hit to the Pelvis, and a 6 means a hit to the groin; I'd be tempted to remove one or more of those Digestive Tract results and replace with "no special effect," personally). -3 to hit is probably insufficient of a penalty, but probably isn't horrible (it being 1/6 to hit on a -1 to hit location implies it should be -5 to hit, which seems more appropriate).
I'm going with 1-in-6 hits the Groin, to match the optional rule of 1-in-6 hits to the Torso hit the Vitals.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I have a long-standing house rule that gives a +1 bonus to active defenses vs. groin shots.
I'm not sure all of them should get that, it's not necessarily any easier to dodge an attack aimed there than elsewhere...

More like people just use Frantic Defense more often when they perceive this is the intended hit location.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule suggestion, rule tweaks