Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #41
Maz

Default Re: A Fallout'esque Post Apocalypse Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tema69 View Post
@Maz: Thanks. I sure do appreciate the help! I wasn't very thorough in my description of the character either - or at least not regarding his malfunctions and whatnot.
But since I have those 30pts for Amnesia, would you recommend anything else? So far, I'm looking at Vampirism (as stated earlier), Blessed (actually representing an orbiting sattelite transmitting blurred recon photos, but since he himself believes to be a divine angel, I thought it fitted nicely), and Honesty.
Anything else that might be cool?
Well since you don't want to boost HP, ST or HT lets see... how about High Pain Threshold or Combat Reflexes? Both are IMO very fitting for a trained soldier. Else there is the Regeneration (DR) that I proposed earlier, just to keep him a little more self-sufficient. But you might prefer that he need to be repaired after each battle.

Vampiric bite would bring a cool dark edge to the "angel" and be a way to mitigate his Unhealing indeed. (a little Blood Angel like, no? ;) )

Other more or less apropriate stuff could be Injury tolerance (Unliving) to represent that he is more machine than man.
Filter lungs, again to represnt the cyborg-ness.
Fearless (he has a really low Wil las it is, is he really going to run away from something fearsome?)
Dark Vision or Night vision or infrared vision to represent bionic eyes... maybe also Telescopic vision.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #42
Tema69

Well, it's actually the player not wanting to have too high ST/HT/HP to represent his decay.

I've added High Pain Threshold already, along with a single level of Hard to Kill.

Combat Reflexes is definetely a handy-dandy advantage, but it's rather pricey. He should probably buy it at a later stage though, that'd fit more with the 'reawakening' theme.

Honestly, I try not to have self-sufficient PCs (they tend to think very highly of themselves if they don't need anybody else), so DR Regen is out.

Filter Lungs and Fearless are good bets, I'll probably throw those in. Now I'm gonna need some Disadvantages to keep balance...
We did look at Unliving, but since we decided that he'd be "Hard shell, soft core", DR being hard, HP being vulnerable, Unliving wouldn't fit too well.

His eyes are the only 'human' part of him visible, and we made a point out of them not being enhanced. Again, player decision...

Really glad you liked the Vampirism part. Yeah, now that you mention it, it seems slightly BloodAngel-ish, but since I intend on having it be Vampirism (counts as Cannibalism), it's not as BAish, just more... cannibalistic.
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #43
Jonas

Interesting take on a more Fallout 3 inspired setting, but I do have one nitpick thats been bugging me since I read the thread this morning.

If Centrum is assumed to be skilled at infiltrating new parallels, have a decent grasp of the local history, and are using 'counterfeit' bottle caps to bribe the locals why did they make the blatant mistake of not weathering them first? I mean they had to have known that freshly minted caps would stand out like a sore thumb, unless they did it on purpose.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #44
Tema69

Thanks. :)

As for the Centran mistake, well, it could be anything from lack of time, to not enough research, a rookie team (a post apocalyptic nuclear fallout world might not get as much attention as other, more prosperous and ressource-filled worlds), or a combination.

...and it's a great way for me to get the PCs to find out what's going on. Or at least hint a bit at it.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #45
The_Nightwatch

Quote:
They should probably have intelligent tactics, and have chosen their battlegrounds wisely. Suggestions for the ambush site, anyone? Tactics should involve stun grenades of various kinds, traps (holes in the ground? :D ), nets, net launchers, stuff like that?

As I see this, they should have two options (at least) - the first being PC victory, and they interrogate a captured NPC merc. Second option being the PCs losing, and being interrogated. From there on, they'll be interrogated. They could try to escape, talk, lie or bribe their way out of it?
The only suggestion I'll make is - you could (if you want) have them be good tacticians, etc....but they've gotten a bit overconfident, even arrogant, given how much they, in their own minds at least, outclass all the locals. So they might be sloppy in their setup, think they can frighten the PCs into giving up or running - and after the first couple of turns realize they're in a real fight, and have to get back to being professionals.

Of course, in those first couple of turns, the PCs could think they're up against a bunch of well-equipped boneheads, and themselves get overconfident... ;)
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #46
Tema69

Great ideas, thanks. Arrogance is always fun. :D
...well, not always. ;)

Your idea of trying to scare them at first is good.

Hm... Perhaps by opening up on full auto over their heads/at their feet, immediately revealing all their gunners/positions, and also revealing their power armours immediately?
A show of force of sorts?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #47
The_Nightwatch

Sure thing. Or even just march on out in all their superior equipment, figuring to overawe the ignorant savages with their pathetic remnants of a civilization they couldn't even understand. At least so the Centrans might think. :)
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #48
Tema69

That'd be the centran agents, right?

I meant the mercs that would be going after the shiny-bottlecap-thing?

I'm trying to show that the Centrans are well equipped, well-trained, experienced, and have actual military expertise, and not just... shoot a gun -experience. So I think I'll have the Centran agents be as pro as possible. That should be another hint pointing towards something extraordinary.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #49
Ragitsu
Banned

The Weirdness Magnet Disadvantage sounds excellent for this campaign.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #50
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Good idea, thanks. I'll look into it. :)
Edit: Maximum Duration, where's that?
That one's from the new Psi Powers book, my bad. You can, uh, get an idea of the effects and pricing by searching here (to make you want to buy it when your book budget improves, of course). ;)

Quote:
I'm thinking that they deploy in some sort of drop-pod-style things, that break apart after entering the atmosphere. The low HT is supposed to represent his body having laid in stasis for 300 years in orbit. He "accindentally" dropped with his unit, but scattered during freefall, and most of the other guys died (he's looking for them, so I think I'll have one or two alive for later).
Fair enough, but IMHO if this doesn't totally screw him as a PC you're not using environmental hazards.

Quote:
BUT, since I've given the DR "Cannot wear armour", when I actually mean "cannot really wear normal armour, must have some specially crafted", how would you price that?
I'd price that at [0] points - It's included in the Gigantism Feature.

I understand that 40K is part of the inspiration here, but 40K is a very "style-over-substance" setting where Bigger literally = Better for its own sake in some highly-contrived cases. Making these guys SM +1 nets them a 4-point discount for being a huge, obvious, scary-looking, unarmored target.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, fallout, fallout post apocalypse, post-apocalyptic