Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Tectuctitlay

Default Re: Fallout was almost Gurps?

According to the Fallout Wiki:

Quote:
In early 1997, in the midst of Fallout’s development, Steve Jackson Games and Interplay terminated their deal. Apparently, Steve Jackson Games was satisfied with everything but the Vault Boy pictures in the character screen and the execution scene in the introduction. As the split between Fallout and GURPS became imminent, Steve Jackson remarked “The GURPS implementation they've created is *worth* saving.” When the contract was referenced over approval rights, Interplay discovered several flaws, which in turn developed into a legal squabble over the contract itself. Eventually, the companies ended with a mutual decision to part ways. Chris Taylor, while agreeing that the split was a blow to the project, said "instead of compromising and making an inferior product -- Fallout will be produced with conviction." The title was changed to the final version: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game and the SPECIAL character system was designed. GURPS sometimes appears as a terminal password in Fallout 3.
Tectuctitlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
So whats the story?
In the mid-90's, the developers of Fallout licensed GURPS to act as their engine. Later, the deal was dissolved.

Honestly, virtually no one (other than SJ) who was involved in the deal works for either company now, so any rumors are just that: rumors, with pretty much no way to confirm or deny any of them.

(Not trying to squash the speculation -- just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the unreliability of said speculation. Very few know the full story, and they're unlikely to have any reason to dig up twenty year old conversations.)
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Six_Gun_Sam

Go up to the "search" function and type "Fallout". Lots of good stuff hidden in this very forum. So go enjoy some sloppy ghoul action.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...hlight=Fallout

Fallout fans are hardcore and everything tends to turn into an arguement sooner or later. Nothing wrong with that, just shows the passion of the fanbase.

Last edited by Six_Gun_Sam; 06-12-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: found the old thread!
Six_Gun_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
JMason

Yeah, this comes up every so often....

I use to have (can't seem to find it now) an old full page ad torn out from PC Gamer or EGM for "FALLOUT: A GURPS Post-apocalyptic adventure". If you search the web you can still find the image.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
Ed the Coastie

Although Fallout appears to be an interesting game/setting, I tend to get a bit frustrated with all of the people who seem to think that Fallout is the "official" GURPS post-apocalypse setting.

Even more frustrating is what appears to me to be an increasing tendency towards post-apocalypse settings in general to all be clones of Fallout...it seems like I can't swing a mutant cat anymore without hitting a Vault or a member of the Brotherhood of Steel.

Just yesterday, I mentioned to a couple of my players that I would be starting up my post-apocalypse Quest for Avalon campaign* soon, and one of them asked something along the lines of "What Vault are we from?"

*Quest for Avalon is set in 2015, in the aftermath of the Two-Day War as described in GURPS Horseclans and has nothing to do with Fallout.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
From what I can recall, one of the big reasons I heard were objections to the games content at a time when the anti-rpg hysteria was still going strong. SJG didn't want to deal with that kind of fallout....
<rimshot>

Quoted for punnery....
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
NorphTehDwarf

For a while there was even a Pen and Paper version (unofficial, of course) of the SPECIAL system floating around.

I played Fallout before I even touched a P&P RPG but looking back on it I can see how Black Isle's system was a really cut-down and simplified GURPS implementation with a few extra core stats (too many, perhaps, although having Perception not being locked to IQ was rather charming). I mean, it even had Perks! And the Traits were kinda like bundled Advantage/Disadvantage sets; I'm pretty sure I could stat every one of them in GURPS if it hasn't been done already.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
Although Fallout appears to be an interesting game/setting, I tend to get a bit frustrated with all of the people who seem to think that Fallout is the "official" GURPS post-apocalypse setting.
The one I'm working on takes place shortly after a persistant, 15 year long global aurora showed up (going with the HAARP conspiracy concept) frying anything electronic. At the point where play starts they've had about 3 years to start rebuilding a roughly TL/6 electronics level. I'm also throwing in some of the ideas from the Biological Nightmares section of GURPS Y2K.

And maybe aliens to turn it into a space campaign after a while as I really can't see a post apoc setting lasting very long once any form of recovery starts.

So except for a relatively small handful of government conspiracists (okay, yeah I did take some of the ideas here from the Enclave in Fallout, but other places as well) who had things set up to keep them going, nobody really had any warning or time to get into a shelter. Not that it would have done much good except to maybe have food storage.

Edit: A few of the survivor groups (cities were a bad place to be with electrical shorts starting fires) managed to keep some higher tech going in what amounts to underground Faraday cage bunkers.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 06-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Six_Gun_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
For a while there was even a Pen and Paper version (unofficial, of course) of the SPECIAL system floating around.

I played Fallout before I even touched a P&P RPG but looking back on it I can see how Black Isle's system was a really cut-down and simplified GURPS implementation with a few extra core stats (too many, perhaps, although having Perception not being locked to IQ was rather charming). I mean, it even had Perks! And the Traits were kinda like bundled Advantage/Disadvantage sets; I'm pretty sure I could stat every one of them in GURPS if it hasn't been done already.
I was doing some reading a while back and I believe that Fallout is the spiritual predecessor of D20 Modern. Some of the Fallout staff had even moved on to work for WOTC.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Ed the Coastie

Just to be obnoxious, I think I am going to try to stay as true to the "canonical" Horseclans as possible...including the timeline for the 2-Day War and the technology available. I'm gonna have to make sure I acquire the rest of the book series...

Tags
fallout