Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Finnwolf

Default Fallout Campaign

I have started gamemastering GURPS campaign based on Fallout computer games. I created a blog for it to keep record that is easily available for all of my players and maybe for some people who happen to be interested of the idea. Feel free to comment it and ask questions or just read it for fun.

Oh yes the address is http://lprfallout.blogspot.com/
Finnwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Ogbendog

Default Re: Fallout Campaign

I've not yet played falllout (dinasour of a computer) but I like the PA genre. Are any of the PCs mutants? if so, what sorts of powers?

I've been toying with converting Darwin's world to GURPS but haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Finnwolf

One of the characters was supposed to be an actual mutant, but since the player had to move to other city because of his master's degree, chances of him actual playing in campaign will be near zero. His character might appear in game as a NPC though. Rolf Reno is the name of the character.

He had at least 1 hit/12 hour regeneration and strong radiation resistance. I ruled that players could take most advantages and disadvantages from Compedium Ibut all the advantages labeled as paranormal, occult, super etc. would be caused by mutation and the more of these advantages you wold have, more likely it would be other people to notice you being mutant and probably would lead to discrimination.

Rolf also had the ability to "speak" with animals. This is due to weak psi-powers he has gained through mutations. I can post some more detailed stats for Rolf if people are interested. His player also made quite wacky yet somehow fitting story for Fallout typish world.

And do try the Fallout computer games. They are great and include lot of little inside jokes. The music and athmosphere is unlike any other computer RPG.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Kyle Aaron
MIB

Excellent stuff! My Gm is running a Fallout-based world, but with other elements, since I know the game world too well for the GM's liking...:)

I wonder which forum would be a good one to post the journal in? Hmmm...
Kyle Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
laserdog

I adore the Fallout universe.

However all my attempts at it were always stymied by lack of some basic facts I thought I needed to know.

Such as, anyone have any good stats on the shelf life of most random things (from bullets to canned goods)?

Or any good stats on how long it takes particulate radiation (fallout) to settle to "safe" levels?

(*Makes puppy dog eyes at SJG to finish the "Survivor" Post-apocalyptic sourcebook...*)
laserdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Ogbendog

they last as long as the plot needs them to...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdog

However all my attempts at it were always stymied by lack of some basic facts I thought I needed to know.

Such as, anyone have any good stats on the shelf life of most random things (from bullets to canned goods)?

Or any good stats on how long it takes particulate radiation (fallout) to settle to "safe" levels?
IIRC the rule of thumb for fallout is that each x7 time results in the radiation dropping by x10. Also, check how long it took before Hiroshima and Nagasaki were inhabitable.

For shelf life, ammunition, if stored in a reasonably cool and dry place, will have a life measured in decades - my father has some Mark VII .303 ammunition headstamped 1943, and it's fine. When he got it off my grandfather it had just sat in the back of a shed for about forty years, and about 10% of the rounds had corrosion on them, so they were thrown away. Twenty years on, proerly stored the remainder are fine. Those we fired when we got them (about 20 were fired) all worked perfectly. I'd go with at least a century for properly stored small arms ammo.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
Finnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdog

(*Makes puppy dog eyes at SJG to finish the "Survivor" Post-apocalyptic sourcebook...*)

As others pointed out, for playability I have presumed that lifetime of ammunition is aslong as my plot happens to need. Although I tend to drop the malfunction number by 1 or 2 if the ammunition is supposed to be old or poorly made in wastelands. Also I decided that radiation is low enough after 100 years in most places for people to be able to live, although birth defects are much more common as is cancer too. And since there is still heavily mutated FEV around, all kinds of strange mutation are on loose.

And yes, Post-apocalyptic sourcebook would actually be very usefull. Wonder why there hasn't been one already. Or has there?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
DryaUnda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnwolf
Post-apocalyptic sourcebook would actually be very usefull. Wonder why there hasn't been one already. Or has there?
The stock answer given is something along the lines of "We already have one, GURPS: Y2K." It even gets a passing mention in Basic, p.566.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 AM   #10
Finnwolf

Does Y2K actually have Fallout type post-apocalypse stuff? World after nuclear war and survival in world filled with mutants and such?

Tags
fallout