Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:32 AM   #1391
scc

Default Re: What GURPS needs... now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
And its looking like it might become an actual unofficial setting or "adventure Path" as some have asked for.
It's the unofficial bit that might be a problem, and not just for some players.

See Hasbro is working to make a new D&D movie, and not just potentially one, and if that's successful I can see others in the movie business looking for RPG properties they can pick up in response. The problem is that the GURPS cabinet is bare, despite likely being the second or third biggest game on the market.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 AM   #1392
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It's the unofficial bit that might be a problem, and not just for some players.

See Hasbro is working to make a new D&D movie, and not just potentially one, and if that's successful I can see others in the movie business looking for RPG properties they can pick up in response. The problem is that the GURPS cabinet is bare, despite likely being the second or third biggest game on the market.
Well its a liscenced setting.
GURPS ha moresettingsthan any othersystem I can think of,the cabinet is not bare, just none have huge marketing or visibility.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #1393
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
What? Noršlond? I mean, what are the odds of seeing three more adventures hit the streets in 2019?
Did I hear its time to start spreading rumors? ;-D

Extra! Extra! Douglas Cole will publish ten more adventures for DFRPG/GURPSDF in 2019!!!
Read everything here!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #1394
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
Did I hear its time to start spreading rumors? ;-D

Extra! Extra! Douglas Cole will publish ten more adventures for DFRPG/GURPSDF in 2019!!!
Read everything here!!!
So, I know you're kidding, but:

the basic pacing of Kickstarter, which until I have a steady stream of sales coming in to forward-invest in production, means that in terms of 'de novo' projects, I can probably do a maximum of three or four per year. One month for Kickstarter, another month to CLOSE Kickstarter and run the Backerkit shipping and extras portion, and the following month or so for fulfillment. Offset print runs put a LONG delay in that "last" month, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to run a second project while a big offset order is "on the water."

So at best, I can probably deliver four new books in the target page count per year.

If I start to bring in non-Kickstarter revenue through back-catalog sales, that story changes.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #1395
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
So, I know you're kidding, but:

the basic pacing of Kickstarter, which until I have a steady stream of sales coming into forward-invest in production, means that in terms of 'de novo' projects, I can probably do a maximum of three or four per year. One month for Kickstarter, another month to CLOSE Kickstarter and run the Backerkit shipping and extras portion, and the following month or so for fulfillment. Offset print runs put a LONG delay in that "last" month, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to run a second project while a big offset order is "on the water."

So at best, I can probably deliver four new books in the target page count per year.

If I start to bring in non-Kickstarter revenue through back-catalog sales, that story changes.
Wow! I was joking, but 3-4 books a year it's very nice to hear. Good luck and success :D
Old 12-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #1396
Refplace

The softcover vs. hardcover question in another thread prompted this thought and question.
PDF vs. printed, when is printed good?
Assume you can have both at the game table and given the extra portability and searchability of PDF I think the most useful printed books are ones I want to loan out.
So things the players find useful...
GM Only or mostly
  • Adventures
  • Settings
  • Bestiaries

Players need to thumb through
  • Gear books
  • Spell books
  • Power Ups or splat type books, including tactics, gear and abilities, preferably by type/role. Easier for a player to digest that way.

Especially attractive on a store shelf
  • Settings
  • Bestiaries
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #1397
Refplace

What about fiction?
One of the things that I think attracts GMs and players is attractive settings. Novels based on a setting can add depth and life to a setting, so what about stories based on either GURPS published settings or homebrew ones?
Writing novels is hard and requires different skills than technical writing but if people wrote everything from session based short stories or longer works based on a setting and distributed them through W23?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #1398
Fred Brackin

Quote:
What about fiction?
?
Recent discussions among my gaming group suggest that if it wasn't written by Salvatore for the Forgotten Realms not all of us read even that much and this is for a ganing fiction line that used to have multiple rows in mall bookstores.

With the way self-publishing on Amazon has fragmented the genre fiction market I've come to believe that there's no more than a very slim chance of randomly encountering a person who's read _any_ of the books you're reading now.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #1399
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
With the way self-publishing on Amazon has fragmented the genre fiction market I've come to believe that there's no more than a very slim chance of randomly encountering a person who's read _any_ of the books you're reading now.
I dont expect most of them to sell well.even the free ones. Few fiction authors succeed, much less become big names. My question though is could it help?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 06-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #1400
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I dont expect most of them to sell well.even the free ones. Few fiction authors succeed, much less become big names. My question though is could it help?
What I thought I said was "No, it won't help because not enough people will have read them.".

There is a caveat that this is for face-to-face gaming. Of course if you are going with soem sort of internet-based solution you probably don't need the help.

Tags
boxed sets