Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default UT - Targeting Computer

This confused me a bit reading it. Essentially there's a HUD Link, but it has no price/modifier, so I assume it's just automatic with a HUD? Do you put the computer and software on the weapon then and it just gives feedback?
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Genesis

Default Re: UT - Targeting Computer

It's UT - the dressing can be whatever you want. I always assumed that the HUD link was free, because without it the device isn't really helpful (barring a weapon mount capable of aiming and shooting on its own, which IIRC is a different thing). But sure, it's a little box you put on your weapon. Or it's a software addition to your existing suit comp (assuming it's got the extra complexity and size) and a camera for the weapon. Or it's an implanted module that uses feedback from the limbs to extrapolate weapon position without dedicated sensors. Whatever, it's UT!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Varyon

All TL9+ weapons are assumed to have "smart" electronics, implying they already have a computer in them. The ability to interface with a HUD may be a standard feature (up to the GM). I'd imagine the targeting software is installed on the HUD rather than the weapon itself, however, but again that's up to the GM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
GodBeastX

Alright, so I wasn't as confused as I thought.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
This confused me a bit reading it. Essentially there's a HUD Link, but it has no price/modifier, so I assume it's just automatic with a HUD? Do you put the computer and software on the weapon then and it just gives feedback?
Targeting is a program. See UT p. 149-150

All programs must run on a computer. Per the box on p.149 all TL9+ fireamrs get one free. At TL:98 this is probably only C3. You'd need to upgrade to run the +2 Skill version. The targeting program doesn't have to run on the gun's internal computer either. Any computer li9nked to the gun and the shooter will do.

Computers that interact with humans need interfaces. A HUD is a common interface. See p.24. What TL9+ guns get for free is the HUD link. The HUD display is separate and extra though often bundled into a piece of vision gear or armor.