Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
La1cajun

Default Munchkin Quest Questions Regarding Combat

Man I like to see more traffic here in the Quest side. Im trying to learn the Quest game and it helps to have these posts. I have a couple of questions from our first game yesterday.

1) Rules classify a monster with my color as "mine". Am I the only one that can roll for the monster during combat and am I the only one that can play cards to alter the roll ect on that monster.

2) When you encounter a monster, you cant run away before combat like in munchkin but the actual battle has to take place unless a card says otherwise, then if you lose you have to try and run away or suffer bad stuff. You have to retreat into an adjacent room.

3) If I retreat into another room that another Munchkin is in and I use my second move to search the room and I find a monster, Do I fight it alone or because 2 munchkins are in the room we both have to fight it? "Can I even search a room that another munchkin is in? didnt think about that one..lol"

Thanks,

The Cajun
La1cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Munchkin Quest Questions Regarding Combat

You roll for that Monster and can affect its sure roll with that affect your or any die roll. Other players can affect it with cards that affect someone else's or any die roll.

You can't Run Away before combat starts in Munchkin, so I don't think there is any divergence between the two games...

You can search in a room with another munchkin, just not where there is a Monster. If you find a Monster while searching, any other munchkins in the room do not automatically join in the fight, but you can surely ask one to help you, if you need it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
La1cajun

Well how does combat happen in general with the other players during my turn? For instance:

1) i encounter a monster and have to fight it. I need help. I know i can ask for help but only the person in the adjacent room or in my room can help. Now i believe that those are the only ones that can actually help with their level and bonuses, but what of the other players on the board. Can they still play monster enhancers and such even though they arn't close to me on the board at all? Just wasnt sure on that.

Second on combat is lets say Im in a room. Someone elses turn ends and during monster move phase one ends up in my room. Do I have to fight it?

Thanks

The Cajun
Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
MIB 9966

Monster Enhancers can always be played. It's the Potions and one shots that must be used in the same room or adjacent.

If a monster ends the monster move on your turn, nothing happens yet. If the monster is still there at the beginning of your next turn, you must fight. It can still move out of the room if there are other turns in between (unless, of course, the monster has your base....)
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
La1cajun

But arnt monster enhancers a form of one shots? Also, in the form of sequence of events, when can a person play the "buffs" for or against the monster or me. Are those allowed after my and the monsters roll during combat? Or does it have to be done before the final rolls to see added points? Thanks.

Last edited by La1cajun; 04-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Monster Enhancers are not "one-shots" as defined in the rules.

And rolling the dice ENDS combat -- you cannot play cards (except cards that actually change the die roll) once you have rolled. Accordingly, the "reasonable time" rule applies; you cannot roll the dice until your opponents have agreed that they're done screwing with you.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Actually, the rules go further, and say that Throwable Items can only be used in your current room or an adjacent one. Monster Enhancers are not Throwable Items. Neither are Scrolls, so you can use those from anywhere (unless, of course, a specific card says otherwise). It's not about one-shot Items, or one-shot cards, but about specifically defined things, and Munchkin Quest goes very far to define things very carefully. It even has a glossary that is, in my opinion, required reading.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote