Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #1
horowits

Default Glass chits made from tile

I found some 12 x 12 tiles at a job site the other day that were made up of individual 1" square clear glass tiles with a white layer of paint on back. I also had a dry erase marker. The logical thing to do was turn them into chits for... whatever I want! Here is a picture from my fledgling blog. It should be fairly easy to find a similar sheet of tile if you want your own. Cheers!
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Glass chits made from tile

Those certainly work. Do you find the marker smudges easily with handling?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #3
horowits

The dry erase does smudge easily. Wet erase would probably be a better marker for the task. They are also quite easy to pick up on the edges.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
kjamma4

Since they are glass, you might be able to use a Sharpie and then clean them with nail polish remover.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
horowits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Since they are glass, you might be able to use a Sharpie and then clean them with nail polish remover.
That's a good idea, thanks.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
KevinJ

Those do look nifty. You could also draw things on the back and then apply paint over the drawing to make them 'permanent'. Do you know where they were purchased?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
oldwolf

I bet a "grease" pencil would work great on them and not smudge easily, while still being able to be rubbed off cleanly.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Nice find.

1x1" glass mosaic tiles are a pretty common item for building decor, and can be pretty cheap (pennies per tile, usually in 12x12 sheets, so 144 tiles for a few dollars). You can get them in all sorts of colors or patterns, too. Match the theme or setting for your game, color-code the good guys and bad guys, and so on.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
horowits

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Those do look nifty. You could also draw things on the back and then apply paint over the drawing to make them 'permanent'. Do you know where they were purchased?
Thank you. Mine were painted white on the bottom already but that would be a killer idea otherwise. I am not sure where they were purchased. A lot of my gaming bits are pieces of trash tile and whatnot from construction sites I work at and this happend to be a lone 12x12 sheet going into the trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
I bet a "grease" pencil would work great on them and not smudge easily, while still being able to be rubbed off cleanly.
That is a good idea too. I tried using a very fine sharpie as suggested above and it worked really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Nice find.

1x1" glass mosaic tiles are a pretty common item for building decor, and can be pretty cheap (pennies per tile, usually in 12x12 sheets, so 144 tiles for a few dollars). You can get them in all sorts of colors or patterns, too. Match the theme or setting for your game, color-code the good guys and bad guys, and so on.
Thanks! They come in many varieties indeed. I have some textured translucent blue ones that I use for water. I also have some megahexes I got out of some sheets of 1" hexagon tile.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
noahenholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by horowits View Post
I found some 12 x 12 tiles at a job site the other day that were made up of individual 1" square clear glass tiles with a white layer of paint on back. I also had a dry erase marker. The logical thing to do was turn them into chits for... whatever I want! Here is a picture from my fledgling blog. It should be fairly easy to find a similar sheet of tile if you want your own. Cheers!
WHAT'S BAND OF dry erase marker did U use

Last edited by noahenholm; 11-26-2020 at 07:46 AM.
noahenholm is offline   Reply With Quote