Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #21
JLV

Default Re: Dark City Games - Stretch Goals

Sadly, there are laws that govern a lot of this, and I can't see any of it happening in time for this Kickstarter -- though I think it would be wonderful to see it.

I suspect Guy IS pursuing getting his rights back; but I think that's a task that takes several years, and since Steve played his cards close to his chest while he was doing it, I imagine Guy is only just starting the process. I simply can't see Howard ever making his own IP available to us, so that's probably a non-starter from beginning to end.

We have several lawyers who comment here regularly and are probably more conversant with the ins and outs of the law than I am, but I'd guess I'm not too far off the mark.

One thing I DO know, however. Steve Jackson and Steve Jackson Games are honorable entities and would never willingly or knowingly even take a chance on infringing on copyrights for this or any other game. So whatever they do will be strictly on the up and up.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
My conspiracy theory is that Mr McLimore has been quietly getting the rights back to GrailQuest, in the same way that SJ was able to get TFT back, and this will be announced as a stretch goal. Absolutely no evidence to back this up though...
While I hate to sink any good conspiracy theory -- especially with this company -- this one isn't true. I do intend to do this, but I have not started the procedure, and since it takes at least a year or so to complete the process (assuming no snags), there is no way this will be part of the Kickstarter.

I am in the very early stages of working on a "sequel" of sorts to GrailQuest however, having finally found an appropriately Arthurian hook on which to hang it. Not part of the Kickstarter, but it is in my plans to develop it once I have the time to do so. Pretty busy at the moment, though -- and about to be busier as soon as Steve sends me the "final" ITL manuscript.

But I do appreciate the enthusiasm, honestly. That little game from long ago seems to have touched a chord. It brought me to here, in any case, and I'm enjoying being here a lot.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #23
JLV

Well, for me, the great news is that you ARE going to pursue it. Grailquest was the best microquest done (in my personal opinion), and that's saying something because they were all pretty darn good. To this day, I use (somewhat more fleshed out) "Crossroads Inns" about the way you set them up! Thanks for making my roleplaying career better than it would have been otherwise!

Even better news? That you're also beginning to think about a sequel! TFT things just keep getting better!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #24
KevinJ

No thank you. They are not an added value for me and I don't want them. The small minority of you who do like them are free to buy them for yourselves.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
No thank you. They are not an added value for me and I don't want them. The small minority of you who do like them are free to buy them for yourselves.
You're certainly welcome to your own opinion of the value of these adventures. You have no data on which to base your assertion that a "small minority of you" want them, however, so your dismissive final comment is out of line. As Steve asked you in another thread, please remain civil to other posters. Thanks.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote