Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #41
larsdangly

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy vs TFT

One thing I noticed about Dungeon Fantasy is that the default assumption is very powerful and relatively complicated starting characters. I've always gravitated toward that 'zero to hero' feel for dungeon crawl games, so this was a minus for me. How have people found that in play?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #42
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
Thanks for the link.

I authored Blackmarsh which was adapted for Heroes and Other Worlds by the author of that game. I had a few TFT fans tell me they used the setting for their campaigns.
I certainly have! ;-)

I hope that you will be doing some work for SJG for TFT in the near future too. If anyone can do a heck of a hexcrawl, it's you!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #43
BrianEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
I authored Blackmarsh which was adapted for Heroes and Other Worlds by the author of that game. I had a few TFT fans tell me they used the setting for their campaigns.
Heck, I forgot I have that Rob, from back with H&OW. Totally just dug it out and moved it to my TFT stuffs. Blackmarsh is great - used it a few times.
BrianEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #44
larsdangly

What did you Blackmarsher's do about the NPC stat levels? HaOT tends to give NPC's pretty low core stats compared to TFT. Did you use them as-is or modify them to be closer to the normal TFT scale?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #45
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
One thing I noticed about Dungeon Fantasy is that the default assumption is very powerful and relatively complicated starting characters. I've always gravitated toward that 'zero to hero' feel for dungeon crawl games, so this was a minus for me. How have people found that in play?
The Dungeon Fantasy RPG tamps down complexity a bit with the aggressive use of templating. The characters are quite capable, but they're also quite capable of being challenged.

It will be interesting to see how a DFRPG-oriented adventure might translate to TFT. If only there was a new one to make the trial on. Hmm. ;-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #46
robertsconley

Quote:
What did you Blackmarsher's do about the NPC stat levels? HaOT tends to give NPC's pretty low core stats compared to TFT. Did you use them as-is or modify them to be closer to the normal TFT scale?
I didn't do much of anything. The text and the two maps of Blackmarsh are open content under the OGL and Creative Commons (the author's choice). It was all CR Brandon doing the conversion.

Blackmarsh original
--------------------------------------------------
0608 Ashdown, Pop: 121, Mixed; Align L;
Ruler: Councilor Neera Dane, Ftr6, L; Resource: Market.
Ashdown is home to many retired rangers as well as the spouses and children of rangers currently on duty. Neera Dane, a retired ranger captain leads the village council and operates under the authority of the high captain of the rangers. She and the villagers will gladly aid any friend and ally of the rangers. Halflings, men, dwarves, and elves can be found living here.

HOW Blackmarsh
--------------------------------------------------
0608 Ashdown, Pop: 121, Mixed;
Ruler: Councilor Neera Dane (ST 8 DX 13(11) IQ 9 EN 8 MV 6; AR-3 DM 2d6; 2 skills+3; 3 skills +2) Longsword, small shield, leather armor. Resource: Market.
Ashdown is home to many retired rangers as well as the spouses and children of rangers currently on duty. Neera Dane, a retired ranger captain leads the village council and operates under the authority of the high captain of the rangers. She and the villagers will gladly aid any friend and ally of the rangers. Halflings, men, dwarves, and elves can be found living here.

--------------------------------

What I would do is the same thing I do when I converted Majestic Wilderlands stuff between GURPS, Harnmaster, OD&D, AGE, D&D 3.0. I consider levels 1 to 2 to be apprenticed level. 3rd level a professional starting out, 6th level a professional with some experience and about where a 125 pt GURPS character to be at. 9th level to be a leader of their profession, 12th level a renowned member of one's profession, and finally 15th level or higher an Olympic/Nobel caliber level of expertise.

So for TFT I would look at the equivalent to apprentices, starting professional, experienced professional, etc. and scale everything off of that.

For monsters I would sub in the equivalent from the whatever the rules have.

That would be the starting point that would get modified through actual play until I felt I had a handle on it and then write it up for publication if the opportunity presented itself.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #47
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I certainly have! ;-)

I hope that you will be doing some work for SJG for TFT in the near future too. If anyone can do a heck of a hexcrawl, it's you!
Appreciate the vote of confidence.

While I love refereeing GURPS, the lite nature of TFT is definitely appealing. Not just what can be done with RAW (Rules as written) but the tweaks one can make to adapt it to a specific setting.

I like to play and referee D&D 5th edition as well but there is definitely more to do to add stuff compared to the OD&D stuff I do. I been reading the TFT rulebooks I own (and just ordered a copy of In the Labyrinth off of Ebay) and TFT is very much like OD&D in that regard.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 PM   #48
Jim Kane
Banned

I am reading these posts and looking over the preview on the link. This looks very good indeed at first-blush for adaption into TFT. I think I will order the free pdf copy. Thanks for the info. Good interior art too.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 07-25-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #49
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
It will be interesting to see how a DFRPG-oriented adventure might translate to TFT. If only there was a new one to make the trial on. Hmm. ;-)
Put me down for one!
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #50
KevinJ

Quote:
So, DF was created to simulate the door kicking style from the early days of role playing games, but using GURPS instead of the even more bloated D&D versions with 20 rules and 456890709083 exceptions to those 20 rules.

Since DF uses templates, and there are scads of templates and variations to choose from, it's easy to pick a template and then wade in.

With TFT you can also have a complex character with a rich history and backstory, just less crunchy.