Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Stellar

Default Munchkin Expansions ranking

Hello. I am trying to rank all the regular munchkin expansions (2 to 9) and i d like the thoughts of other people too. i have tried up to demented dungeons expansion (6), and this is what i think each expansion offers to the base game.

2. The Unnatural Axe: a pretty decent expansion with interesting cards/ fun wordplay on the cards and an overall balanced addition to the first set. The orc race is an amazing addition to the game, making the games even more unpredictable. I can see some repeating cards that could be taken out of the deck, due to the sheer volume of the cards (278 cards without the blank ones are a lot of cards, and shuffling the decks each time is a pain, if you want to randomise it proreply and not have cards stacked together) (some gual cards can be reduced, also i remove/add race and class cards according to the number of players, some +1 equipment cards too, but not the ones i consider funny :P ) I personally give it a 7.5/10.

3. Clerical Errors: That expansion is pretty much like the unnatural axe, meaning it adds no new gameplay feature to the game. The cards are still amazing, original with their wordplay and with cool artwork, something that made me be interested in munchking in the first place. The addition of the bard class and the gnome race is amazing though, it adds so much spice that it makes the game even more unpredictable than before. The monsters are pretty cool too (with a second level 20 monster), so i d say this expansion is even better than the previous one, since it adds up even more content to work with. The only problem i ve encountered so far is the massive deck amount, a total of 392 cards (if you include the blank ones), which is a pain in the ass to shuffle, plus all the repeated cards (like race and class cards, along with the GUALs), that i have a habit of siding out, according to the amount of players in my table. I personally give it a 8.5/10.

4. The Need for Steed: Now that is an interesting expansion. Content wise it has less monsters and treasures to work with, meaning its kinda underwhelming, compared to unnatural axe or clerical errors. This expansion however packs a new game mechanic, steeds and hirelinks, which adds a whole new flavor to the original game. The new steed/hirelink mechanic is pretty interesting, (especially if you consider the ranger class featured in the next expansion), and it gives players who might have been bored of the original game and expansions new playstyles to see, and even more rules to "follow". People who did like the previous 2 expansions but dont want a new mechanic wont like this expansion though, since steeds can alternate the gameplay. i d say this is a perfect expansion if you are looking for something different in munchkin.A solid 7.5/10.
(fun fact: the number of cards in your deck with this set and the previous ones combined is 504 cards... Have fun shuffling them all if you dont remove some...)

5. De-Ranged: This is the first expansion that feels pretty weird if its not combined with the 4th, the need for steed. The ranger class is pretty good, since making any monster a steed makes almost all monsters compatible steeds, but i can't say that the amount of steeds/hirelink enchancements is enough, or it just feels like it to me, idk. The amount of monsters and treasures is decent (60 doors and 52 treasures). A pretty decent set, but not one comparable to the previous ones, even if the ranger is an amazing class.It's saving grace is the ability to make monsters into steeds, bring more chaos to the table, but i cant see how steeds/hirelinks can work if you havent played the need for steed expansion and you try to introduce that to players with this set. If you have the need for steed expansion however, then this set is amazing, making the previous expansion even more unpredictable and fun. By itself its a 7/10, and an 8/10 if combined with the Need for Steed.
(616 cards if you own all the previous sets...)

6. Demented Dungeons. Now this is a weird one. I consider Demented Dungeons and Terrible Tombs a mistake to be released like that, considering the double dungeons edition exists, which literally merges 6 and 6.5 to one edition. This is a pretty underwhelming set, if you consider that the previous sets contained 112 cards each, whereas this set provides only 36 new cards, lliterally 1/3 of the volume of cards previous expansions had. Gameplay wise this expansion is neat, since it introduces the dungeons, a brand new mechanic to spice up even further munchkin. With 16 cards to be placed on the deck and only 20 oversised dungeon cards though, it soon becomes clear that this wasnt planned properly, since if you have any other expansion of the game (aside from the basic first set), these cards dont show up that often, and when they do, their impact on the game is not as amazing as you might think it would be. Dungeons with similar effects, or dungeons that come up in subsequent games get old quickly, and lose that spark that their intended mechanic has to offer. I think that double dungeons offers what both demented dungeons (6) and terrible tombs (6.5) were originally supposed to look like, and an overall better experience than 2 halves put together. A 6/10 for demented dungeons/terrible tombs, and a 7/10 for Double Dungeons.

From the 7th expansion and forward (Cheat with both hands, half horse, will travel, and jurassic snarc) i havent had the chance to try them yet, so any suggestions/thoughts on those expansions is much appreciated. Feel free to correct me/post your thoughts on each expansion.

Last edited by Stellar; 11-25-2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Stellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
Nobunga

Default Re: Munchkin Expansions ranking

Munchkin 7 is such a strange monster and it's really only for crazy, advanced Munchkin Players who MUST combine two or more full sets. Card balance is key and this expansion's effectiveness as Mash-up Lubricant will vary on the mash-ups, but when they show up, it's great. 7.5/10

Munchkin 8 is my favorite Expansion. More Steeds! More Hirelings! But it's the inclusion of the two new races, Lizard Guy and Centaur, that I really love. I also love the Class and Race Enhancers. So many great new mechanics to spice up your game. 9.5/10

Munchkin 9 is a great expansion for the Dinosaur lovers, but it did feel a little underwhelming to me. I think deep down inside, I would have preferred a full Munchkin BC game, but this was still a great collection of cards. 7/10

Munchkin Something Fishy helps strengthen one of my favorite Munchkin Stacking Monsters: SHARKS! Despite that, like Jurassic Snark, it felt a little underwhelming and I feel like not taking the occasion to introduce the Pirate Class to Fantasy Games was a missed opportunity. 6.5/10
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote