Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 07-26-2017, 05:10 AM   #31
AurochJake

Default Re: I was hoping for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Looking forward to hearing more. Don't forget feature creep is the enemy of good enough and often on time delivery.
You can say that again! We have a complete plan of everything we want including but there are certain things we can't talk about yet for various reasons. We will have more information on what will be included very soon, apologies we can't say more than that for now!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #32
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Darn it, I was going to answer some of those questions, but reading the above, I think I'd better let Auroch reveal things at its own speed, rather than leaking what I know from the things I have approved.

However, if I could have answered, you folks would have liked the answer :)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #33
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Darn it, I was going to answer some of those questions, but reading the above, I think I'd better let Auroch reveal things at its own speed, rather than leaking what I know from the things I have approved.

However, if I could have answered, you folks would have liked the answer :)
I guess I'll just have to keep asking questions and maybe you'll slip. :-)
Old 07-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #34
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Units - What factions will be available? Assuming PE and NAC to start, but will there be others? Especially with multiplayer, will there be an ability to pick paintjobs? Since most factions are just PE or NAC with different paint and logos...

Out-of-sequence attacks - This is specific to cruise missiles. How is the opportunity fire going to be handled for cruise missiles in a multi-human game (especially online)? Does play pause whenever the CM passes within range of a unit so it can try to shoot it down?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #35
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Out-of-sequence attacks - This is specific to cruise missiles. How is the opportunity fire going to be handled for cruise missiles in a multi-human game (especially online)? Does play pause whenever the CM passes within range of a unit so it can try to shoot it down?
You pretty much have to do it that way. 1) accidental detonations - a player can influence the location. 2) ogre missiles - a player can choose if to fire one each time the cruise missile moves.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #36
hcobb

Will the AI be federated (here is a group of units that can move and attack as a group) or single unit (GEV #3412, what is the best move you can make, without coordinating with other units)?

If it is single unit will you at least do two pass? I.e. first check to see if each unit can make an attack this turn, then sequence units from highest priority targets they can hit to lowest, with the resulting conditions being considered by lower priority units WRT stacking, etc.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #37
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Will the AI be federated (here is a group of units that can move and attack as a group) or single unit (GEV #3412, what is the best move you can make, without coordinating with other units)?

If it is single unit will you at least do two pass? I.e. first check to see if each unit can make an attack this turn, then sequence units from highest priority targets they can hit to lowest, with the resulting conditions being considered by lower priority units WRT stacking, etc.
This. The AI for a single unit (eg, an Ogre) only need to evaluate for itself. Evaluating for a group of units that can work as a team matters and gets more interesting. A high percentage of Ogre is moving everything into primary and supporting positions, but then evaluating fire activity based on the results of the fire attempt.

A classic example of this is a pair of GEVs attacking a single GEV. 2x2 Attack against 2D. It's a pair of 1-1 attacks or a single 2-1 attack. The math works out very differently depending which way you go, plus there's a side-benefit of a two 1-1 attacks. If you fire and are successful with the first 1-1 attack, you now have a "free" shot with the other GEV at some other target. That also leads to planning for primary/secondary target options.

The logic is further impacted by stacking and spillover fire. with a stack of 2 GEVs, is it better to take a 2-1, with spillover against the second at 1-1, or two attacks at 1-1, with two spillover attacks at 1-2?

etc
Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #38
dwalend

Quote:
If the AI decides what to do with each unit without considering what other units will do it'll be a short game and with lots of spill-over. I'm sure they'll do better than that. (Heck, you have to build an AI beefy enough to think about lots of units just to drive an Ogre through a defense in the basic game.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #39
Buzzardo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
This. The AI for a single unit (eg, an Ogre) only need to evaluate for itself. Evaluating for a group of units that can work as a team matters and gets more interesting. A high percentage of Ogre is moving everything into primary and supporting positions, but then evaluating fire activity based on the results of the fire attempt.
Indeed, given that units often must team up to get the right odds, coordination between units isn't a nice-to-have. It's crucial.

As for the number of passes, a friend of mine who does AI for games once mentioned that the proper solution is a graph from which the computer player then picks the best outcome. With multiple units, the graph quickly gets complex, but that's why we made computers.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #40
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

And now we have some questions to which I do NOT know the answers, so I'm looking forward to learning them!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote