Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
David Bofinger

Default Re: Top objective of the Wizards' Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
It's worse than than that: nobody actually eats peanut butter on Cidri due to severe allergies being prevalent in the gene pool.
So why do they make peanut butter? Is it a weapon poison? A yeti deterrent? Do they put it in grenados?
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #12
Shostak

People used to eat peanut butter, but an experiment into the underlying laws of magic permanently mutated the genes.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #13
phiwum

Shostak, you are a sucker. The peanut allergy is a myth, spread by certain high ranking wizards so that they can hoard peanut butter for themselves. On certain festival nights, they have wild orgies involving great gobs of peanut butter, some of which is eaten and some of which is used for purely recreational purposes which modesty does not allow me to describe in detail.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #14
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
On certain festival nights, they have wild orgies involving great gobs of peanut butter, some of which is eaten and some of which is used for purely recreational purposes which modesty does not allow me to describe in detail.
That's nuts! The authorities would be all over them in a jif.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
That's nuts! The authorities would be all over them in a jif.
I was gonna try and contribute something to this thread but I just can't top this; the words are all stuck to the roof of my mouth.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
Senturian

suppose we need the Mechanician's Guild to help with the Jam.
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #17
Shostak

With the animosity between the Wizards and the Mechanicians, things could get sticky; they might not want to stir up any tensions. And, unless the Mechanicians have a lot of members, they'll be spread awfully thin.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Does it? In my experience the really great scientists and whatever usually also have an interest in other things. Garry Kasparov, for instance, went into politics. Edison definitely liked money. Top churchfolk in the middle ages became almost indistinguishable from any other kind of prince.

And even if all aren't like this, they're people, and people have all sorts of degrees of interest in money, power, etc. To have one character think like this is cool. To say they all think like this makes them less people and more stereotypes.

The Cidri concept of wizards as professional experts like lawyers and doctors strikes me as more likely than this idea of them all becoming monk-geeks. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have this as a background, and there might be a good reason for it in story, but I wouldn't push it on believability grounds.
And some of those church leaders dabbled in esoteric philosophy (magic) and astrology.

I think groups have factions. In the 1950s, MIT had a Tech Model Railroad Club. There was a group that was the Knife-and-Paintbrush contingent. They spent 'their time building and painting replicas of certain trains with historical and emotional value, or creating realistic scenery for the layout.' The other group was the Signals and Power Subcommittee. They 'cared far more about what went on under the layout.' 'Need of regimental lines of switches and achingly regular rows of dull bronze relays, and a long rambling tangle of red, blue and yellow wires'; the electrical guts and relays of the thing. (from Hackers by Steven Levy) Each group knew they enjoyed the TMRC and acknowledged the other, but stuck to their own.

I think the Wizard's Guild is interested in the perpetuation of the Wizard's Guild and all things related to magic.

I acknowledge that HCOBB has a contingent that wishes to discover the underlying truths of magic and so they do basic magical research. As a result they learn really impractical spells and enchantments. I would have a contingent like this also. But keep in mind that there would be dissension within that group too as some might look at the root of magic to be emanating from the gods and push that agenda's research.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #19
hcobb

How much of the secrets of magic are to be found buried deep in the dwarven mines or goblin ruins?
Old 11-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #20
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How much of the secrets of magic are to be found buried deep in the dwarven mines or goblin ruins?
Probably more than the humano-centric wizards are willing to ponder.

Dwarves runes; goblin sylphs.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is online now   Reply With Quote