Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default Appropriate Accessability Mod...

I want to put a limiter on Will for "Not against Psionics". This will be for a world with mental powers/psionics and I am the GM. The only truly significant percentages are in lumps of 20% but it could also be a -50% for "only on psis" as mentioned in the RAW. I'm tettering on the edge of going with that -50%... I was wondering what other's oppinions on this was.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Corlock Striker

Default Re: Appropriate Accessability Mod...

Well, what's the population percentage of people with psionics? And I imagine that Will will only not be effective against telepathic abilities, not non-telepathic psi abilities. So what's the percentage of telepaths within the psi community?
Corlock Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
nerdvana

I don't have it calculated that strongly... but I'm going to be mirroring Gamma World and imagine it to be rare to find a community that has mutants that doesn't have some psi where Will is used to resist it...
Old 04-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Corlock Striker

Sorry, didn't mean like exact figures, just an idea. Well, if it's going to be pretty common to encounter someone who can counter the effects of the Will advantage, I'd make it somewhere between -30% to -50%, depending on exactly how common you feel it's going to be. The list of how common certain materials are for limited damage resistance might be of help. Look at the stuff in each category and decide what is most analogous to the appearance of telepaths within your world, and then use that percentage.
Corlock Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
nerdvana

Right. I'm specifically thinking of limiting the Will Disadvantage that Pure Strain Humans will have... and -40% or -50% is good, either resultes in the same effect... By default they have normal will but are not so good with resisting psionic abilities.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Couldn't you just give them Susceptible (Psionics)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
CoyoteGestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Would that reduce other resistance rolls as well, though? (eg, HT to resist a psychokinetic Affliction)
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I want to put a limiter on Will for "Not against Psionics". This will be for a world with mental powers/psionics and I am the GM. The only truly significant percentages are in lumps of 20% but it could also be a -50% for "only on psis" as mentioned in the RAW. I'm teetering on the edge of going with that -50%... I was wondering what others opinions on this was.
Will is used to withstand psychological stress and to resist supernatural attacks. Psionics are a subset of supernatural attacks. Thereby the limitation only applies to ... a quarter? ... a fifth? ... of the attribute.

For something that works (say ...) 75% of the time, being inapplicable 25% of the time, that would read to me as [Accessibility, Only Works % of the Time]. Which is a -10% limitation described on page 99 of Powers.

I'd suggest the -10% limitation value. Completely up to you though.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
Would that reduce other resistance rolls as well, though? (eg, HT to resist a psychokinetic Affliction)
"Susceptible to Telepathy", then, or even "Susceptible to Psionic Maledictions".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That's based on HT, wouldn't I have to put a modifier on it to have it switch to Will?

Tags
limitations, psionics, q&a