Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #21
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: "Instantaneous" use of continuous advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Even with those caveats, this argues to me that the discount really should be something like -20% for Costs 1 FP/minute, -5% per additional FP, -40% for Costs 1 FP/second, -10% per additional FP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatius View Post
Drawing things a little more back onto the original point, I think a partial fix at least for per-second FP would be to use the "normal" Costs Fatigue -5%, and attach Reduced Duration (1/60) for -35%, thus giving a baseline -40% just for having switched to one FP per second. Alternatively, if you're going to be paying 4 or more FP per second, just use the -10% per FP rate as normal.
This last idea looks like it is more of a step in the right direction. A pitfall endangering either approach is the comparison with Limited Uses that I mentioned before. vitruvian's suggestion of -20% for 1FP/minute corresponds to LU(3 or 4), but would itself be usable many more times in a day. Attaching a RedDur driver to CF, as in the second idea, would make paying 1FP/sec. give the same discount as one use per day. This is not obviously unfair, but does give the per second user more flexibility and the potential for slightly increased use over the course of a day.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #22
Bruno

Limited Uses 3-4 times a day can be used 3-4 times in a row without exhausting the user, without having to wait to recharge FP, and just generally without restrictions.

That makes it FAR more useful than something that costs a crapton of FP.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #23
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Limited Uses 3-4 times a day can be used 3-4 times in a row without exhausting the user, without having to wait to recharge FP, and just generally without restrictions.

Just use both limitations.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Just use both limitations.
??? How is that relevant to comparing the price of Costs Fatigue to Limited Uses Per day?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno

Something that costs 1fp/minute can also be used 3-4 times in succession w/o exhausting the user, who can then rest for 30-40 minutes and do it over again, several times over the course of a day. To my mind, that makes the CF limit (the one proposed by v) more effective for the owner than LU.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #26
zylosan

Default My take on Exalted Charms.

I have also struggled with how to import Exalted type charm effects into gurps. This is where I got.

1. The reduction of an always on ability to a FP per use ability is only an issue if its possible to purchase the normal version of the power with out the FP cost limitation. Obvious solution: Only allows the FP version. Exalted Charms are generally instant or reactive charms with a duration of 1 second for a cost in essence points. All types of Exalted, Fair Folk, Ghosts what ever suffer from the same type of limitation.

2. Scene length charms are powers with the limitaiton that allows them to be activated for an FP costs with a duration of 1 minute for combat charms. Non-combat scene charms have a default duration of 15 minutes. Again do not allow the normal version of the same power without the limitation.

3. Acception the First: Charms that provide an always on benefit allow the purchase of the unlimited power.

4. Essence Rating: Many charm effects scale based on the users essence score. I model this with the addition of three new advantages based on magery.

Advantage: Enlightened Aura. 5 pts. Effectivly a modified version of magery 0. Enlighted Aura represents characters who have the ability to conciously manipulate essence. Provides a number of benefits: Ability to attune to magical artifacts, the ability to use raw essence to replace material components for thamaturgy, learn spells with a magery 0 prereq, attune to manse, attune to hearthstones, learn terrestrial martial arts and terrestrial circle sourcery.

Advantage: Empowered Aura: 10/level These represtents a characters raw essence using ability. Each level functions as magery for powers to which that type of Exalted has access.

Advantage: Essence Pool Modified version of an energy reserve with a default value of 10 + (Empowered Aura x Exalted Type modifier) + Purchased levels. Each additonal point costs 1-3 cp depending on how powerful you want your characters to be.

Essence Pool is intentionally very cheap and its starting size depends on the type of Exalted the players is. This does not keep with GURPS all usages of cps should be roughly equal and no advantages that give price breaks on other advantages. It does however model the Exalted setting in which Solars can kick the hell out of terrestrials, partially due to having a much larger essence pool. Characters will go through motes quite quickly so I suggest allowing EP only regeneration at a reduced costs for Celestrial Exalted.

I have a more detailed break down on my wikia but have not updated it recently.
zylosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #27
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
You could just purchase the advantage with nuissance effect and wing it. Sounds like a 15% nuissance effect to me (instantaneous but costs fatigue per second?).
I'm with lemminglord here. GURPS RAW doesn't make a whole lot of sense here, so I'd advice just winging it.

Tags
advantages, limitations, powers