Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #731
Yellowbeardhellfist

Default Re: 2 Player rules/suggestions

Found this from another site thought it was a cool take on a two player game.

A two-player version that my son and I came up with was pretty fun. Here are the altered rules:

OBJECTIVE: Be the first player to retire your four heroes at level 6.

SETUP: Start by separating out all the Class and Race cards. In the standard Munchkin game you will find 21. Shuffle these cards together. Next, deal 4 cards to each player. Each player places these character cards in front of him/herself on the table. These cards represent your Adventuring Troop of Heroes trudging through the Dungeons of Munchkingdom. Next, place a single D6 (six-sided) die on top of each character to represent their current level. Each hero starts at level 1. Lastly in Setup, reshuffle the remaining Class and Race cards in the Door deck, and draw 4 door cards, and 4 treasure cards per Player (not per character). Each player may distribute their 'loot' amongst their 4 heroes.

GAME PLAY: Roll the die to see who goes first, highest die wins. The first player may lay down any treasures or items below any of his 4 heroes. Note: Once a treasure has been laid to the table from your hand, it must remain with THAT hero to which it has been placed. Furthermore, a thief cannot steal a card from any allied hero pertaining to the same Adventuring Troop. A Thief can only steal from the opponent's Troop of Heroes.

Each Hero can later on be one Class and one Race as per normal rules. Furthermore, if Class or Race are lost as a result of a curse or some other reason, simply flip the card over...that hero still can be played as normal, just without the Bonuses/Penalties of the previous Race/Class.

Once the first player is ready to begin, he chooses ONE hero from his Troop (moving the Class/Race card forward slightly to show election to other player) to open the door, then flips over TWO Door cards. Both Door cards have active effects if they are monsters or curses. This means that they are resolved simultaneously. If they are two monster cards it is like the results of a Wandering Monster card as per the original rules (Running Away must be resolved from each monster by EACH hero involved in combat).

If they are both curses, they affect that single hero who busted down the door. A Wishing Ring or other item that prevents a Curse will deflect ONE of the Curses (active player chooses which Curse to be removed). The player may still 'Loot the Room' (drawing a face down Door card into your hand) or play a Monster by 'Looking for Trouble' from his hand as per normal rules, unless the Curse card specifically states the turn has ended.

If one card is beneficial (i.e. Class/Race card, Cheat card, etc.), the player may place this directly into his hand. The non-beneficial card is then resolved (i.e. fighting the monster).

If BOTH cards are both non-threatening, the player places both into his hand, and then may choose to either 'Loot the Room' or 'Look for Trouble' per normal rules.

Note: Monster Altering cards (i.e. Humungous +5) are non-threatening if drawn with a non-Monster card, and may be placed in the player's hand. But, IF drawn with a Monster, it alters THAT monster during that combat.

Also: The actual Wandering Monster card if drawn Face Up, invites your opponent to lay down ANY held Monster card in their hand!

After resolving combat with monsters per the rules below, or after 'Looting the Room', the player ends his turn by either laying down Item cards to individual heroes in his Troop (Treasure cards aquired from defeating Monsters can only be equipped directly after combat to the two heroes involved in combat...see combat rules below), or discarding them so that only 5 cards remain in his hand at the end of his turn. Every Dwarf character in his Troop allows the player to hold +1 card above the normal 5! If cards were discarded in this manner (at the end of the turn), the opponent if he has a hero with a current level less than or equal to the lowest level of all the heroes on the table, he may select ONE of the discarded cards and place it to the table below that lowest level hero (if its an item) or to his hand (if its NOT an item).

Note: Items that are unusable be a hero may still be equipped to that hero. The bonus is just not added unless conditionary requirements are met. But, heroes that are NOT a Dwarf can only equip ONE Big item, used or unused.

COMBAT: When fighting a monster, add up all the bonuses of all the Monsters and Monster Altering cards involved in combat. Unless one of the heroes involved in combat is a Warrior, the player must beat the Monster's bonuses by 1. This number is derived by adding the hero's current level, plus any bonuses (or subtracting any Penalties). If the first hero who 'Busted Down the Door' does not have sufficient Attack Points (Level + Bonuses), then he/she can ask for help. This is done by selecting ONE of his current heroes (those NOT Retired). The Opponent may even offer to help for some bargained price, with any ONE of his heroes. If someone helps in combat, their bonuses and levels are added to the first hero's. Once a hero agrees to join combat, he/she cannot back out. If for any reason the hero(s) cannot defeat a Monster(s) then each hero involved in combat must attempt to Run Away separately from EACH Monster in the combat. If a hero is unsuccessful from Running Away from any Monster, that hero must face the consequences of the Bad Stuff of THAT Monster.

The only Hero that gains Levels after defeating a Monster is the one who 'Busted Down the Door'. If for some reason another hero jumps into battle to help, then the first hero leaves. The second hero must face the Monster(s). That second hero does not get any levels if the Monster(s) are defeated, but does get all the treasures. Furthermore, a third hero cannot be asked to help.

Note: The Kneepads of Allure, or other similar Items may be used to force someone into help the wearer of the Item, OR it can be used to PREVENT your opponent from using ONE of his heroes as a helper! In either way, the hero being manipulated by the item gets a saving throw to resist. That player must roll higher than a 6, by rolling a D6 and adding THAT hero's current Level.

RETIRING: Once a hero reaches Level 6, he/she is Retired from play. Take all his Class/Race cards, and Item cards and discard them. Leave just the D6 to represent one Retired hero. Player who Retires All four Heroes in their Troop wins.

DEATH: When a hero(es) suffer Death from Bad Stuff, they lose all their stuff. The player of the dead hero(es) lays down all their cards in ther hand next to all the dead hero's items he/she had in play. All of these cards will be discarded. Prior to being discarded, the opponent gets to select ONE item to add to EACH of his active (non-Retired) heroes. These items must first be given to the lowest level heroes.

Note: this means that if both players have heroes that die in the same combat for whatever reason, one player's opponent will Loot his hero's body, while his own heroes will Loot his Opponent's dead hero's body. Dead heroes do not participate in Looting the Body.

The dead heroe's Level die (D6) remains at the same level.

SELLING ITEMS: Only ONE Level can be bought each turn by each hero in your Troop. Furthermore, Level 6 can only be attained as per normal Munchkin Rules regarding Level Ten.
Yellowbeardhellfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #732
LECHUCK81

Default Munchkin Solo Rules for loners

Hi, Im Mariano and ive been developing a new set of rules for playing Munchkin in solo rounds just for fun. I speak spanish so i made then in my language and translated them as good as i can. If someone is interested on them or have any suggestions, they are more than welcome.

REQUIRED MUNCHKIN GAME AND A D6 DICE.

MUNCHKIN LONER: KILL THE MONSTERS, STEAL THE TREASURE AND TICK YOUR FRIENDS.

1. To win the game you have to reach level 20 before finishing any of the two main decks (Dungeons or Treasures).

2. At the start of the game, draw 4 cards. Discard all curses, traps, errant monsters, or any other "bad" card for your initial hand. But attention! Do not replace discards. What you have in your hand you can play at the moment. You can only use classes, races, equipment and up to 2 items for your backpack (at your choice). This will be what is at stake. Before each door you can change what is in the backpack but to change equipment you must discard the one you are wearing.
Before removing a door card there is a preliminary phase of equipment assembly that allows you to re-equip yourself for the fight.

3. If you defeat a monster steal the indicated treasures and gain levels. (as usual)

4. In case you have to ask for Help, roll a D6 and add the result to your level. If you also do not overcome the monster, the Wrong Roll indicated by the card is applied. In case of winning the match thanks to the die the level or the Treasure or both OR NOTHING is added.! (throw a D6 to see what luck you have 2 to 3 treasure, 4 to 5 level and 6 both ... IF IT IS 1 WAS ALL A DREAM, YOU DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM THE COMBAT!)

5. If you want to run away you can achieve it with a 4, 5 or 6 on the D6 roll.

6. In case of encountering a Wandering Monster, take the monster that is lower in the discard pile, this monster joins the Wandering in the battle. Against a Wandering Monster (and company) you can not ask for help.

7. There are cards that allow you to steal objects, levels, etc ... to other players. If what you get is in the discard pile, you recover it and it passes to your hand, in the case of stealing levels, you add them directly.
CLARIFICATIONS: BOTH LEVEL UP OR STOLEN LEVEL CARD DEPENDS ON ROLLING THE DICE ONLY! (IF U GET 5 OR 6 APPLY THE EFFECT, IF NOT TOUGH LUCK AND DISCARD THE CARD).
YOU HAVE TO DEFEAT A MONSTER TO WIN THE LAST LEVEL OF THE GAME.

8. In case of doubt about the rules ... do not deceive yourself, you are alone, nobody looks at you, nobody judges you ... applies coherence and enjoys the game. Think that if you cheat yourself you are not playing anything anymore, you are doing the BLEH directly.

MODIFIED PHASES
1.- ASSEMBLY AND STRATEGY: CLASS, RACE, EQUIPMENT AND ITEMS TO BE USED IN THE BACKPACK (MAXIMUM 2)
2.- KILL THE MONSTER: AS IN NORMAL MUNCHKIN WITH THE RULES ADAPTED TO 1 PLAYER.
3.- STEAL THE TREASURE.
4.- DISCHARGE. (MAXIMUM 4 LETTERS IN HAND)

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR HIGHER DIFFICULTY (RUSSIAN ROULETTE)
1.- EVERY 5 TURNS ENTERS THE RUSSIAN ROUTE PHASE.
2.- USE D6 DICE TO KNOW HOW THE DESTINY WILL AFFECT YOUR GAME.
3.- IF YOU GET 6 (YOU WIN AN ADDITIONAL ITEM OF THE TREASURE OR THE DISCHARGE PILE) 4 or 5 (A LVL IS LOST) 2 or 3 (AN EQUIPPED ITEM IS LOST) 1 (NOTHING HAPPENS)
4.- DISCHARGE. (MAXIMUM 4 CARDS IN HAND)

Last edited by LECHUCK81; 01-14-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: upgrade
LECHUCK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #733
Triquii

Default Re: Member House Rules

One house rule I use for munchkin marvel is dead easy and makes it significantly more challenging In fact the original game seems pretty dull without it.

Whenever you fight a monster, turn over it’s trwasure cards and it gets use them. Go up a level, infinity gems and cubes all count as +5. This way even quite weak monster can be tough early in the game and it can take a while to get going. Also once you know what someone else stands to gain it incentivises others to get involved and interfere.

sometimes we only apply it from level 5 upwards but this way when your over level 10! A couple of monsters can get really tough. I had an enemy pass the 100 combat value today.....
Triquii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #734
djweaver29

We play that you can have more than one person help you in combat and, [Warning: Controversial] we don't allow items to be placed on the table unless you can equip them. Once an item is placed on the table it can no longer be sold for gold. This keeps players from hoarding items.

These rules just stem from not properly reading the rules the first time, and we've been considering abandoning them for a little while now. Interestingly enough, it's pretty rare to run into a card that conflicts with these rules.
djweaver29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #735
Nobunga

Default Re: Post Level 10 Game!

6, 8, 16, 17 are already rules in regular Munchkin.

Also, this is clearly House Rules and will most likely get moved there by the Moderators soon.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #736
Nobunga

Default Epic Pathfinder!

I've seen two posts in the last week asking about Epic Abilities for the Class and Faction introduced in Munchkin Pathfinder 2: Guns and Razzes. So let's post our House Rules for these Epic abilities. I'll go first.

Epic Gunslingers - True Grit: When fighting alone OR with a helper, you may discard two cards to gain a combat bonus equal to your level. (This replaces the Grit Ability)

Epic Razmiran Vision - Blessing of Razmir: You get a +1 combat bonus for every 500 gold pieces worth of items you have in play.

Still needs some playtesting. Blessing of Razmir originally gave a bonus for every 100 gold pieces, but when we played it that way, the bonus went crazy high too quickly. In response, I upped it to 500, but is that too high? Is 300 better?

Last edited by Nobunga; 09-26-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixing bad grammer and formatting
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #737
Why-a-Duck

In my group, you have to shake hands on it when agreeing to assist in someone else's combat. This removes all ambiguity, so nobody can claim they hadn't actually joined the fight yet when you drop in a level 20 wandering monster.
Why-a-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #738
Be-Rad!

I would most certainly not call this a house rule, but I play with a group of M:TG Players who are so ticky-tacky about timing that they allow traps to hit someone with a lose a level just as they would get level 10 or 20.
Be-Rad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #739
Markimedes

More of a game variant than a house rule. It's for 2 people, which is often the number of people I have available for a game.

First off, each player plays as two munchkins.
Each player chooses a color and takes both the male and female piece. Each player must now select a sex, and write that sex down somewhere secretly (I write it on the bottom of my foot, but I am weird). The munchkin of that sex is the only munchkin that player controls that can win the game. If the munchkin of the opposite sex wins the game, then the player controlling that munchkin loses.

Players cannot trade items between their two munchkins.
The change sex curse changes the sex of both munchkins under the player's control.

Otherwise, the game is played normally, with players taking a turn for each of their munchkins. Might need some more ironing out, but it's pretty fun.

Makes for some interesting play styles.. some things I've noted:
Since which sex will win is a secret to the other player, you are incentivized to try to disguise it. If the munchkin you are favoring becomes obvious, your opponent may concentrate fire on that munchkin with two munchkins. (Or even try to get the other munchkin to level 10, losing the game for that player!)
You can give charity to your other munchkin if they happen to be the lowest level, so it makes sense to try to keep one of your munchkins in that position.
You can use the change sex curse in order to make your opponent lose, or yourself win.
Probably other things too.

Last edited by Markimedes; 01-11-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Markimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #740
saman

Kneepads of Allure are used as a one-shot
saman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice