Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
ssveter

Default Warp with Tunnel and Extended Duration

I have a power I am working on that would allow the character to create a warp with the tunnel modifier. The question I have is, can I apply the Extended Duration modifier to the tunnel duration so that the tunnel may be used multiple times before closing despite the encumberance limitation?
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Warp with Tunnel and Extended Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
I have a power I am working on that would allow the character to create a warp with the tunnel modifier. The question I have is, can I apply the Extended Duration modifier to the tunnel duration so that the tunnel may be used multiple times before closing
There's no prohibition against opening another tunnel while the first is open, so even without Extended Duration you should be able to have up to 18 tunnels open at once, depending on what you roll. But yes, you could add Extended Duration to keep your tunnels open for longer.

Quote:
despite the encumberance limitation?
Encumberance doesn't apply to tunnels:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
If you have Warp (Tunnel +100%) [200], is the number of people that can go through the Tunnel limited by the Warpers BL?
No. There's a big tunnel that anything can go through, as long as it doesn't exceed your SM ("about your size"). This utility is balanced by the fact that anything can go through (the tunnel isn't discriminatory) and you can't control the duration (which is random).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Which then asks the question what you should get if you want to enlarge the tunnel and link its duration to your concentration.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
ssveter

I see...

The concept of the power is the character can draw the magic circle, takes about 10 min and a symbol drawing skill roll, to set up the anchor. She then can activate the tunnel for an unspecified number of minutes and when she is finished with it can dispel the tunnel or simply let it expire. Oh, and she can only do this 4/day.

Ok then here is the power build so far

Warp 100
Modifiers:
Extended Duration x100 +80%
Limited use 4/day -20%
Magical -10%
Preparation required (10min) -30%
Reliable +3 +15%
Requires Symbol Drawing Skill roll -0%
Special Portal (Maigic Circle) -20%
Tunnel (forms before) +100%
TTL 215

Am I right on this
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I see...

The concept of the power is the character can draw the magic circle, takes about 10 min and a symbol drawing skill roll, to set up the anchor. She then can activate the tunnel for an unspecified number of minutes and when she is finished with it can dispel the tunnel or simply let it expire. Oh, and she can only do this 4/day.

Ok then here is the power build so far

Warp 100
Modifiers:
Extended Duration x100 +80%
Limited use 4/day -20%
Magical -10%
Preparation required (10min) -30%
Reliable +3 +15%
Requires Symbol Drawing Skill roll -0%
Special Portal (Maigic Circle) -20%
Tunnel (forms before) +100%
TTL 215

Am I right on this
I don't think preparation from the limitation will count for the purposes of negating penalties and gaining bonuses. So if you prepare for 10 minutes then open the tunnel immediately, she'll be doing it at a -10 penalty, before counting the range penalty.

How far do you want her to be able to teleport? Can she open tunnels to places she can't see?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
ssveter

The ten minutes is just to prepare the magic circle (the anchor) in a sense she inscribes the location she is trying to reach. The level of success would determine accuracy. Which makes me think I should add drift to the modifiers. The difficulty would be determined by how far she is trying to go.

Maybe there is another way to structure the power that better reflects this aspect. Especially given that Area effect has been established as the way to make your tunnel bigger.

This would be almost like a hand drawn stargate.

Tags
gurps 4e, powers, teleport, teleportation, warp