Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Joe

Default Re: Psionics and Alchemy: Any help appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
Sure! I'd love to know what other people think of it. Basic campaign sketch: ....
Happily continuing the thread drift: this sounds great. If I'm getting it right, it's basically a medieval middle-east/byzantine fantasy world threatened by Lovecraftian horrors from the Astral plane. Nice!

I guess the next thing I want to know is: where does the psi come in, thematically? Often Psi seems to come in as a result of Lovecraftian horrors arriving, disturbing the universe, etc etc - but from your description it sounds as if in this game world Psi powers were already an accepted part of society before the coming of the Lovecraftian stuff: is that right?

If so, how do you envision psionics fitting into the normal operations of medieval society? Just wondering.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
kdarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Happily continuing the thread drift: this sounds great. If I'm getting it right, it's basically a medieval middle-east/byzantine fantasy world threatened by Lovecraftian horrors from the Astral plane. Nice!
Yup, that's the gist of it! Just add Renaissance level technology in the making, and it's getting there!

Quote:
I guess the next thing I want to know is: where does the psi come in, thematically? Often Psi seems to come in as a result of Lovecraftian horrors arriving, disturbing the universe, etc etc - but from your description it sounds as if in this game world Psi powers were already an accepted part of society before the coming of the Lovecraftian stuff: is that right?

If so, how do you envision psionics fitting into the normal operations of medieval society? Just wondering.
Correct, psionics existed before the arrival of the Lovecraftian horrors. The basic outline is this: Psionic powers begin to manifest around puberty, and anyone showing such talent can be "claimed" by the government and sent to a psion-academy, or by one of the organizations licensed to recruit and train psions. These organizations vary in nature, some being classic academies, some being tied to religion, others paramilitary, etc. Psions usually then follow the traditions of their given organizations, most of which doesn't concern themselves very much with day-to-day affairs of ordinary people - though some do. Psions are therefore judged very much upon what tradition they belong to, and by different people for different reasons. Some have a reputation for being stuck-up scholars, other for being benevolent healers, etc.

I hope that made sense. :)
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Edman

Quote:
Yup, that's the gist of it! Just add Renaissance level technology in the making, and it's getting there!

Correct, psionics existed before the arrival of the Lovecraftian horrors. The basic outline is this: Psionic powers begin to manifest around puberty, and anyone showing such talent can be "claimed" by the government and sent to a psion-academy, or by one of the organizations licensed to recruit and train psions. These organizations vary in nature, some being classic academies, some being tied to religion, others paramilitary, etc. Psions usually then follow the traditions of their given organizations, most of which doesn't concern themselves very much with day-to-day affairs of ordinary people - though some do. Psions are therefore judged very much upon what tradition they belong to, and by different people for different reasons. Some have a reputation for being stuck-up scholars, other for being benevolent healers, etc.

I hope that made sense. :)
So psionics is essentially magic? Why not simply give it that name to avoid a genre clash? To me, it seems as if that's what it would look like, though a fancy word like Supernal or Spectral Sciences might work even better.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
kdarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
So psionics is essentially magic? Why not simply give it that name to avoid a genre clash? To me, it seems as if that's what it would look like, though a fancy word like Supernal or Spectral Sciences might work even better.
In some ways, yeah - and in retrospect, I probably might have done so. But my players and I all like the concept of psi. Plus, I wanted to check out the various GURPS supplements for it. So it's really just cause me and my group like psionics. :)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
Edman

Quote:
In some ways, yeah - and in retrospect, I probably might have done so. But my players and I all like the concept of psi. Plus, I wanted to check out the various GURPS supplements for it. So it's really just cause me and my group like psionics. :)
As someone who has spent way too long building various magic-as-powers-systems, I can totally sympathize with wanting to look at the rules for psionics, and if the group doesn't mind it, by all means, go for it. I, as a player, would be a little baffled with psionic academies in a renaissance setting, but, other than the name, it is an awesome idea, that actually reminds me a little of the setting of my current campaign. Would you like my intro vignette by PM?

- Baron von Münchausen
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
kdarc

Quote:
As someone who has spent way too long building various magic-as-powers-systems, I can totally sympathize with wanting to look at the rules for psionics, and if the group doesn't mind it, by all means, go for it. I, as a player, would be a little baffled with psionic academies in a renaissance setting, but, other than the name, it is an awesome idea, that actually reminds me a little of the setting of my current campaign. Would you like my intro vignette by PM?
Sure, that would be great!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Psionic powers begin to manifest around puberty, and anyone showing such talent can be "claimed" by the government and sent to a psion-academy, or by one of the organizations licensed to recruit and train psions. These organizations vary in nature, some being classic academies, some being tied to religion, others paramilitary, etc.
Governments at this TL don't tend to have centralised administration. Could you live with:

"anyone showing such talent is normally claimed by one of the organisations with the right to recruit and train psions. These tend to be either religious orders, or sponsored by local rulers, whose organisations may be military, or academies in a classical form."

And at this point, you can use GURPS Locations: Worminghall as a outline for such an organisation, though it will need a bit of work.

Last edited by johndallman; 11-19-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Phrasing
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
kdarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Governments at this TL don't tend to have centralised administration. Could you live with:

"anyone showing such talent is normally claimed by one of the organisations with the right to recruit and train psions. These tend to be either religious orders, or sponsored by local rulers, whose organisations may be military, or academies in a classical form."

And at this point, you can use GURPS Locations: Worminghall as a outline for such an organisation, though it will need a bit of work.
I had actually wondered about the same thing, and wondered if I had overdone the draconian policies of the Empire a bit. I think your approach sounds more plausible. I imagine still, however, that the government keeps a strict eye on unusual psion activity. And punishment for being involved in disciplines considered unethical, invasion of privacy using telepath, etc. would still be quite severe.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Edman

Governments at that TL don't usually have the communication possibilities that Telepaths offer. I would be very careful in thinking that real world Renaissance governments would look similar to a government where you could literally communicate at the speed of thought no matter where you were.

- Baron von Münchausen
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Anaraxes

Quote:
So psionics is essentially magic? Why not simply give it that name to avoid a genre clash?
See the Camber of Culdi books by Katherine Kurtz, where the "magic" in setting is pretty much psi. (Not very true of the earlier Kelson books -- and I never made it through all of the later run.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, powers, psionics