Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #31
Kage2020

Default Re: Character concepts you have always wanted to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
Seems like it would take a lot of points. And would there be any way to model an advantage to increase damage done with improvised weapons?
Perk: Benedict of Amber.

No, wait, that wouldn't work. ;)
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #32
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
One that I've wanted to try in collaboration with other players: a cross-dimension game where each of us played a variation on the same person. So Melanie A might be an 18-year-old cross country athlete, but Melanie B is a 16-year-old fighter against the Nazi occupation, while Melanie C is a 29-year-old attorney with a superhero secret ID ... certain traits remain the same across all three, but the differences can be so very different.
I have always wanted to try something similar myself, I wouldn't go with the whole group but two or three different iterations of the same character could be a laugh.

I think that if you could agree to a single character sheet with the basic outline and then each customise it to your characters role and world it wouldn't even be that hard to achieve.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #33
digoraccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Though granted, it would be a little weird playing a Pony in an otherwise human campaign. Preferably it would be a GURPS game set in Equestria instead.
I thought the "Pony in a Human World" concept was quite amusing myself. Sure it had weird moments like trying to get around things that require fingers, but I find that magic was a pretty decent equalizer.

The Arbiters Conspiracy comics at its Fnordest.
digoraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
One that I've wanted to try in collaboration with other players: a cross-dimension game where each of us played a variation on the same person. So Melanie A might be an 18-year-old cross country athlete, but Melanie B is a 16-year-old fighter against the Nazi occupation, while Melanie C is a 29-year-old attorney with a superhero secret ID ... certain traits remain the same across all three, but the differences can be so very different.
I thought Melanie B and Melanie C were two of the Spice Girls. <g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
Alas, I'm usually the GM, so this remains a dream for now.
That doesn't mean you can't use the idea, though. Ask my players how many of my games somebody named Eimi Anderson has shown up in...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #35
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I thought Melanie B and Melanie C were two of the Spice Girls. <g>
They are. As is Geri. Which serves to show just how different selves from parallel worlds can get.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I've always wanted to play the god Sobek as both a variation on the "reformed villain" and pagan god super hero archetypes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
He originated from a different system, but he'd be doable in GURPS. There's a power in an indie game that I sometimes play that allows one to give anyone else a disadvantage the character possesses (essentially an Affliction). I always wanted to play a Buddhist monk with absolute pacifism (Total Non-Violence in GURPS) and the ability to "inflict"* it on other people.

He'd be kind of a one trick pony, but I thought it was a unique approach to RPG conflict resolution. So far, I've been able to run him as a NPC, but I would like to give him a go as a PC.

*Debates ensue about whether making other people non-violent against their will constitutes violence, but I have an argument grounded in Buddhist philosophy that it doesn't.
Did this to a particularly violent and sociopathic member of our party via Mind -Control. he had killed one-too-many hostages during interrogation.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
Jasonft

Something I once proposed for a Star Wars game but got turned down - The GM heard the words 'Tribble Force Adept' and got the most amazing look of pained horror on his face...

I was actually serious, and I had mostly thought out the background. Somewhere out there had to be a world where Force powers evolved naturally in an entire species. In this case a species that looked very much like a Tribble from Star Trek.

The 'Tribbles' exist in a quiet sort of hive mind and for the most part completely ignore the rest of the galaxy (aside from convincing those pesky explorers that that there is nothing of interest here) aside from the occasional rare individual that just can't mesh properly with the hive. These individualists occasionally hook up with members of a smuggling ring that has taken up residence in one of the cave systems on the planet.

The specific individual Tribble I was playing doubled as the ship's engineering 'droid' (via a hovering support shell) when he was not pretending to be the captain's pet.

But like I said, the concept got turned down.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #39
fireflythegreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
Ignoring Jackie Chan for the moment - one character I had had in my mind for years is a Blind character who pretends he isn't and who can learn another language instantly (or almost so). He wears all his clothes the same color and uses a fancy cane. He would have as much Luck as I can get away with for combat use or maybe some ability that lets him "radar-range" but not to the extent that it would negate or reduce his Blindness. He would require at least one extra Ready action to reload his gun but not enough to be obvious since he places his equipment very carefully so he can find it easily.
I first had the concept for a space campaign that never got started and I wonder if I could ever play the character.
One of my friends played a blind adept in a Shadowrun game. He had the ability to see things on the astral plane, but that only applied to living beings (including plants etc). He lived with a couple hacker guys so he was able to navigate their apartments by the things growing inside old pizza boxes. Then they ... obtained a maid, of sorts, and suddenly he was bumping into everything.
fireflythegreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers