Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Decreased Mana Costs as an advantage

In an old campaign, the GM and I came up with a trait we were both happy with for decreasing the cost of magic spells. It was adapted off of Wild Mana Generator, with the assumption that dropping everything but the no mana cost on spells was a feature.

Looking at it today, I'm pretty sure 100pts* for "Spells have no mana cost" is too strong. However, it was intended to be allowed in the same campaigns as Wild Mana Generator. What would be a good way of going about figuring out a trait that makes spells free?

And once that's figured out, what's a good way to turn it into a leveled trait for making spells merely cheaper? I used an exponential leveling system, set up so even 1 mana less on spells is very useful, while at a certain point spells being cheaper by enough is effectively the same thing as being free.

On a side note, I would like to know how this affects enchanting (and Wild Mana Generator), but that's not a huge deal, I remember reading somewhere that changing Quick Gadgeteer to Quick Enchanter is about as good.

Any thoughts? Thank you ahead of time.

*Technically 105pts but there's no reason for it to go 5pts over and 100 fits the discussion better. The formula came out to 3^([x]/15), where [x] is the amount of points spent. 1 and 2 less costs were simplified to [5] and [10], the rest is a leveled trait of 15pts/lvl, making it so 2000 mana cheaper is the same as being free.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote