Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Sentinel

Default Others trading during your combat.

The rules say:
You may give or trade your carried, worn, or packed Items – not Items
from your hand – to other players whenever you are in the same or adjacent
rooms and not in combat. Just give them the card.

--------

One person believed they could trade with another person because neither of them were in combat, but this was during my combat with the Boss.

One person was in an adjacent room and could use potions but had none, while the other had potions but was not adjacent to me but was to the first person who could legally use them.

I assumed the "not in combat" means combat is not going on in general and not that neither party involved is not in combat.

Sentinel
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Others trading during your combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
The rules say:
You may give or trade your carried, worn, or packed Items – not Items
from your hand – to other players whenever you are in the same or adjacent
rooms and not in combat. Just give them the card.

--------

I assumed the "not in combat" means combat is not going on in general and not that neither party involved is not in combat.
"In the same or adjacent rooms" and "not in combat" are both tied to "you are." If the rule had meant that trading could not occur during ANY combat, it would have been written differently.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Sentinel

Wow, so they can form a chain and pass potions down the line to a person next to the person in combat?

Very interesting.

Sentinel
Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Leintati

Hmm that could make for interesting game play, but their trades would have to be quick ones as if I remember correctly when you are in combat you only have to give them a measly few seconds to play a card before you roll dice and resume combat as normal. If I am correct in this just remember to use this tactic against them as I am sure many people forget this little rule.
Leintati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leintati
Hmm that could make for interesting game play, but their trades would have to be quick ones as if I remember correctly when you are in combat you only have to give them a measly few seconds to play a card before you roll dice and resume combat as normal. If I am correct in this just remember to use this tactic against them as I am sure many people forget this little rule.
We have a house rule where everyone is given an option to act. We go clockwise around the table from the person whos turn it is and from the moment the active player says I am ready to roll the next person either passes or does something, if they pass the next person has the option to do something or pass. If everyone passes then the rolling begins. If anyone does something then it starts over again from the active player when they say they are ready to roll again.

Sentinel
Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Leintati

ahh i see yeah then that could put you in trouble if they form a chain. My group tried that house rule, but in the end found it more fun to be ruthless with the rules.
Leintati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Cheddar Limbo

The "2.7 seconds" rule in our games (both Munchkin and Munchkin Quest) is interpreted to give everyone a chance to say "Hang on, I wanna do something". We don't interpret it to mean they've only got a few seconds to act. Otherwise things would degenerate into a quicklyshoutedhardtounderstandstate. And that's hard to resolve and not much fun.
Cheddar Limbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

The "2.6 second" rule is, in fact, just that. It's not meant to mean a literal 2.6 second time period. If people are actually trying to time out 2.6 seconds, they will probably need to get some perspective. The person in combat is not allowed to play out a bunch of cards, scream, "I win!" and then not give anyone a chance to stop him. It's up to individual groups how they like to handle it, but I always say, "Okay, I'm winning, is anyone going to stop me." If I don't hear any responses, or limited response, I ask again, making sure everyone heard, then I take my winnings. When teaching, I will usually sit out of a game and in those situations, direct things, hopefully giving people the clear understanding of what the "2.6 second" rule actually means.

But even giving people only 3 seconds is just going to cause the situation you described: A mess.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
MIB2826

I've always describe the "2.6s rule" as an reasonable amount of time for a player to react.

Thus that time is a variable based on the experience of the players.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #10
tgape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826
I've always describe the "2.6s rule" as an reasonable amount of time for a player to react.

Thus that time is a variable based on the experience of the players.
Actually, the rule is, you have a reasonable time to act. I *strongly* suspect the 2.6 seconds is mentioned for humorous value, as the authors realized that everyone would instantly recognize that 2.6 seconds is *not* a sufficiently reasonable amount of time to react. Of course, the real joke is that there are, in fact, very many players of Munchkin and Munchkin Quest who have not actually thought about whether 2.6 seconds is actually reasonable, and have simply treated the rule as 2.6 seconds. For reference, the text from the rulebook:

Quote:
Before you roll, you must say “I’m rolling,” and wait a reasonable time, defined as about 2.6 seconds, for anyone else to speak up.
tgape is offline   Reply With Quote