Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
Solscar

Default UT Nanotech reactive uncontrolled shield

Hi all, long time watcher first post.
Diving right in:

Setting - Hard Science TL11-12 SciFi

Character - modified human born with nanites in her system

the nanites perform various functions for her without her conscious control (she is a favourite of the ruling AI and has Savant Syndrome).

one function is a reactive shield that forms (of nanites) to block/shield her from incoming ranged (only) energy attacks (only) attacks without her conscious control, the shield will be ablative (or semi-ablative). the reason is that the nanites will take the energy and then become inactive, she only has a limited number of nanites in her system to perform this defence, they do regenerate

I have played with Damage Resistance, with forcefield, semi-ablative, reactive, etc. but to get a shield that will stop a normal TL11-12 energy weapon is very expensive.

The Question:
does the community have any other ideas on how this should be constructed?

Thank you for your input
Solscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: UT Nanotech reactive uncontrolled shield

There are three major problems with the concept in a hard science fiction setting. First, there is really no way that DEW attacks can be anticipated. Second, nanomachines realistically could not absorb any significant amount of damage, so the idea that they could form an effective barrier would be rather impossible. Third, they would probably cause her grievous harm if they attempted to leave her body quickly.

Nanomachines augment human capabilities and add a few extra capabilities, but they are still limited by energy sources and by physics. They will probably depend on her chemical energy and, while potentially more efficient than their host, they will likely not have a greater than 98% efficiency. Assuming that the character consumed an extra 2500 kcal of food every day for her nanomachines, they could really only do 10 MJ worth of work, but they would likely kill her if they did more than 10 kJ every second.

As for a build, DR with Ablative, Force Field, Hardened 4, and Energy Only would be the best way to go for 5 CP/level. DR 60 would stop most attacks. Alternatively, you could use Damage Reduction 10 (Energy Only, -20%) and Regeneration (Extreme; Energy Only, -20%). You could accept up to 100 HP of injury per turn without much issue.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 12-09-2019 at 10:55 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
There are three major problems with the concept in a hard science fiction setting. First, there is really no way that DEW attacks can be anticipated. Second, nanomachines realistically could not absorb any significant amount of damage, so the idea that they could form an effective barrier would be rather impossible. Third, they would probably cause her grievous harm if they attempted to leave her body quickly.
I mostly agree, but science fiction is full of breaks with science, and the ability doesn't need to be possible in reality to be built in gurps.

To answer the question, yes, I find trying to out-do ultra-tech technology with points is extremely expensive. If I'm playing in someone else's Ultra-Tech game I usually avoid high ST high DR concepts, because they're really priced for lower tech games. If I'm running the game, I'll give them the DR of a normal suit of armor for its cost in wealth, or perhaps for licence perks that give them "permission" to enter civilian bars with the equivalent of an powersuit on. If its a powers game (and your description sounds like a powers game), I'll seperate the massive pile of points for powers from the rest of the points players can spend.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Solscar

Hi, thanks for the replies.

yeah hard SCIFI is probably a little harsh, it's more fantasy SCIFI with some harder aspects, so some CP based Advantages that (yes could be termed powers) are accepted.

in this character's case she has a built-in docking station for the nanites that perform this function and others. so coming out of her body is not an issue.

I envisaged that the nanites would form up an absorption field that dispersed the energy (or at least some of it to keep her alive) to the detriment of the nanites, thus the need for them to be reconstructed (regenerated)

I hadn't thought of the damage reduction route - I shall give that a whirl and see how that turns out - it's a little outside of the box for the concept but ill have a look, thanks for that one AlexanderHowl

Yes ericthered trying to convert UT items to CP is a nightmare in expense, our campaign allows for characters to purchase certain "abilities/items" with CP to allow them to modify as the game goes on to make them stronger or more versatile as the campaign grows.

this campaign we are all at TL11 burgeoning on TL12 so it's feasible that TL11 items will develop into TL12 as the campaign progress's
Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

You are welcome. It is probably the most affordable route. If you went that route, I would also suggest HP 10 (Energy Only, -20%; Massless, +0%) [18]. It would allow you to absorb 10 HP of energy damage per turn.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Solscar

Quote:
You are welcome. It is probably the most affordable route. If you went that route, I would also suggest HP 10 (Energy Only, -20%; Massless, +0%) [18]. It would allow you to absorb 10 HP of energy damage per turn.
AlexanderHowl I am unfamiliar with the "massless" advantage/disadvantage? where is that one from?
Old 12-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

I believe it is Supers. It just means that you do not do extra damage for the purpose of collisions but you also do not take extra damage from falls.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Energy Only HP would be difficult to properly use in play - namely, how exactly do you decide when you are below 1/3 HP, at 0 HP, at -1xHP, etc? You'd need to track normal damage and energy damage separately. For a character with HP 10 and HP +10 (Energy Only), they'd be below 1/3 HP when they'd taken 7 normal injury or a combined 14 normal+energy injury; they'd be at 0 HP with 10 normal injury or a combined 20 injury; they'd be at -1xHP with 20 normal injury or a combined 40 injury, etc. Vitality Reserve would probably work better, and seeing as that is designed to be comparable to Ablative DR and HP, it should probably benefit from Regeneration just as those do.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Aldric

I would just buy DR, add force field if they intercept attacks before worn armor. Modify eith Energy Only since that's how the ability is described and decide on Ablative or Semi Ablative depending on how long should the protection last.
I wouldn't bother with specific regeneration, since I assume someone with nanomachines that can intercept energy beams already has som sort of regeneration.

I can only see chaos from HPs that are depleted only by a specific type of damage, I'd probably try to model ot with IT:DR instead if possible.

Edit: None of this actually feels like a reactive shield, but limited use DR ends up overpriced I think.
Can you make a force field invisible, but have it flare (for example) when struck? How would that be priced?

Last edited by Aldric; 12-11-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
Solscar

Ive have looked at all the options put forward so far, and have priced them up in GCA. Its expensive to reproduce a UT piece of equipment in CP.

i had a thought after finding Kromm's post on the Mystic Shield (thanks Kromm):
Extra Arm 1 (Force Extension, +50%; Shield Mount, -80%) [7]
Force Extension is stolen from Stretching; see Powers, p. 78. In this case, it gives you a visible limb of force that can't be injured.

Shield Mount is by analogy to Weapon Mount. If being restricted to mounting and using one weapon is -80%, the same should go for any other dedicated-purpose limb.

You can make it invisible with No Signature if that's important to you. I don't see how it's worthwhile, but whatever. Since you can always specify special effects for your abilities, why not just say it has the appearance of a glowing shield?

As for the shield itself, I'd allow the arm itself to count as a shield to block -- it's an indestructible force! Use the standard Parry for an arm as your Block score, which is DX/2 + 3. If it needs to be higher, buy Enhanced Block (Mystic Shield) [5/level]. Enhanced Block requires a speciality, and I think this is fairly specialized!
Mystic Shield

and thought maybe doing an invisible extra arm that has a mounted Force Shield Bracelet UT:192 would work, not sure how to do the uncontrollable though or how it would be reactive, but it would do the block and attack with a 100DR shield - special effect could be that it flares (thanks Aldric for that idea) when hit?

many ways to skin a cat as they say :) sorry to all the cat lovers no offence meant :)

Last edited by Solscar; 12-11-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added in link to Kromm's original post