Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #21
mehrkat

Default Re: A really good persuasive description of roleplaying

Sorry been busy at work this week.

The homeschooling community as a whole does have a strong prevelence of religious fundamentalism but there is a strong growth of liberal home- schoolers and in general I have found at least easy going conservatives. I originally tried to find homeschoolers that had parents that used to roleplay and wanted to find a way to play with their children. However, didn't get any hits to that post. My nonRPing partner suggested I try to create new roleplayers which seems to be the tack most of the really successful GMs take.

Now I want to try to find parents of kids who might want to try roleplaying will read the email and mention it to their kids and they will think its neat. The parents of kids who already read fantasy an science fiction or play video games and might be willing to branch into a new pastime.

I was mainly looking for a fairly short statement that explained what role playing was but did so in a positive light so that I could make it something that sounded interesting to do. That when they read the statement they think "that sounds kind of neat maybe I should mention it to Jon and we can try it out"
Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
walkir

A german RPG company used a telephone call between an editor and a journalist to explain RPGs. I think that works better than most dry explanations.

Editor: Did you ever watch Robin Hood?
Journalist: Yes.
E: Okay, imagine you're in Sherwood Forest. Suddenly, you hear a clicking noise somewhere in the bushes.
J: I'll go see where that noise came from.
E: You see trampled grass and a piece of green cloth hanging on a branch.
J: I want to see if I can find out whose clothing that was. Is there a track?
E: You just played the first RPG in your life.
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkir View Post
A german RPG company used a telephone call between an editor and a journalist to explain RPGs. I think that works better than most dry explanations.

Editor: Did you ever watch Robin Hood?
Journalist: Yes.
E: Okay, imagine you're in Sherwood Forest. Suddenly, you hear a clicking noise somewhere in the bushes.
J: I'll go see where that noise came from.
E: You see trampled grass and a piece of green cloth hanging on a branch.
J: I want to see if I can find out whose clothing that was. Is there a track?
E: You just played the first RPG in your life.
I find it hard to believe German kids don't play "Let's Pretend" in participially "House" 8)

for by that editor's definition "Let's pretend" is an RPG. Most definition that I would use has RPG's being more advanced version, "Let's Pretend with rules/guideline to settle arguments" and that sample had nothing in worthy to claim it the first RPG experience over Let's Pretend 8)

Which actually related to how i would sell it to any parent:

"As I'm sure you aware of creativity and social benefits children get or got from their games of 'Let's pretend'. Role Playing Games, extends these into older age-groups adding in math skills included better grasp of probabilities, problem solving while maintain the fun and catering to the developing interests."

Last edited by roguebfl; 10-21-2010 at 11:27 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 AM   #24
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Not really apt for parents, but I personally liked this one, by Vin Diesel
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #25
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemi3e View Post
Yeah, I have friends who can't use dice because of that. They live in a woman's shelter and so aren't allowed to have dice for fear of gambling. I think they are going to use cards instead.

But. but...It's so freaking Calvinist. Didn't they learn better the first time around? Or wait, that explains why Tea Partiers are all pro Ayn Rand Bible Thumpers.

God Controls Everything. If you make money it's because God wants you to. God rewards the good and wants us to be good. Making money is good, or a sign of goodness. The slave trade makes a hella lot of money. Slavery is good!

*hair pull*
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Bill they (A brand of Social Darwin/Capitalist Christian) ignore that aspect of her writest just like they ignore the inconvenient parts of Christianity. Basically they don't base them selves off Ayn Rand's works more uses aspects of it to justify their actions.

Might I suggest to you that derogatory political and religious opinions should stay to those sections of the forums designed for them to avoid derailing threads and causing flame wars? Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it came across.

Last edited by JCD; 10-24-2010 at 05:25 PM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
JCD

To get back to the original thread:

I applied myself more to literature, mathematics, history geometry, and a bit of statistics as a result of RPGs. Mind you, my interests were very selective.

Now the question was, was I already into that stuff and found a recreation which dealt with it, or did the recreation inspire me?

I don't know a lot of other people who tried to do analysises of medieval baronial land fiefs and income streams outside of grad school or RPGs.

Last edited by JCD; 10-24-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #27
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Might I suggest to you that derogatory political and religious opinions should stay to those sections of the forums designed for them to avoid derailing threads and causing flame wars?
Nothing political there. There is a group exactly like that. though they are unlikely the target group mehrkat is after, as they don't tend to be same sub group of Christians that home-schools so I left it at the single cleaifying statement to Bill's question.

I has been my experiences that families that call themselves Christian Home-schoolers are a distinctly different group that call themselves Home-schoolers (who happen to also be Christian)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #28
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
Here is a site with a lot of good pro-gaming resources written from a Christian point of view: Christian Gamers Guild. Yeah, I know you're looking for something pithy and easy to pass on, but seriously, there's a lot of good material here for countering the "D&D = Satanism" canard.
Damn straight. A total canard....sorry, I need to add experience points to my demonic Impudite of Belial in service to Lilith. Knocking off those angels let me add a Force. ; )
Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Nothing political there. There is a group exactly like that. though they are unlikely the target group mehrkat is after, as they don't tend to be same sub group of Christians that home-schools so I left it at the single cleaifying statement to Bill's question.

I has been my experiences that families that call themselves Christian Home-schoolers are a distinctly different group that call themselves Home-schoolers (who happen to also be Christian)
Fair enough and I didn't mean to sound mean. I know people like that intimately. Some of the people here might actually have religious or political opinions similar to them.

As a personal rule, I try to leave my political and religious opinons on political and religous forums.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Damn straight. A total canard....sorry, I need to add experience points to my demonic Impudite of Belial in service to Lilith. Knocking off those angels let me add a Force. ; )
So you are arguing that RPGs are satanic because you play a demon in one? Not entirely helpful.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roleplaying