Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
ChronicAlcoholic

Default Transhuman books to get

decided I would invest in the Transhuman Space universe especially since the books are so cheap on warehouse 23 and the upcoming Changing times is (hopefully) close.

However I'm not sure about all the books, orbital decay is an adventure I might no be so interested in, same with personnal files. However would the spaceship book be any use to me as it has 3e rules. Will the stats be updated in Changing times or fully redone?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
sn0wball

Default Re: Transhuman books to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicAlcoholic
However I'm not sure about all the books, orbital decay is an adventure I might no be so interested in, same with personnal files. However would the spaceship book be any use to me as it has 3e rules. Will the stats be updated in Changing times or fully redone?
Spaceships of the Solar System is a small book, with alot of numbers. I am not sure, how it works with 4e, but it is based on the space combat rules in THS and the construction system found there, so I donīt see why you couldnīt use it with 4e.

If you donīt already have them, Iīd recommend the "bigger" books, though, for example Fifth Wave or Broken Dreams.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
hackbarth

Good decision!

I Highly Recommend the 'core books':

Transhuman Space
In the Wheel
Deep Beyond
High Frontier

These are absolutely necessary!

Good books also are:

Under Pressure
Toxic memes
Personnel files

They add a lot of color.

SotSS is a bit more 'hard', with more numbers and less 'fluff'. (THS fluff is the great reason for me to buy the books), orbital decay seems to be more a 'haunted mansion in space' adventure than one that takes advantage of the unique THS scenary.

The other books are about the earth, and I can't pass judgement on the contents as I dont have them yet. Probably useful if you gona play on earth, of course. But I think that this takes the 'S' from THS, which is the reason I like the scenary so much.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
ChronicAlcoholic

Well I'm more into the Transhuman aspect of THS so the earrth books are a must. But I would love to have space open to go adventure there also.

i put an order on all the THS books today except for Orbital Decay, Spach ships and Personnel File. Also I didn't order the Hardcover rulebook as it will be really expensive when it would arrive to Iceland (around 60$*) I'll just try to grab one here. Maybe get my FLGS to order one for me the same time I get them to order GURPS Space.

* The other books are also around 16$ when here instead of 10$ but that's still really affordable.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicAlcoholic
decided I would invest in the Transhuman Space universe especially since the books are so cheap on warehouse 23 and the upcoming Changing times is (hopefully) close.

I have found Fifth Wave the most useful of the books, with both a guide to the nations and politics of Earth, and a system of mechanics for breaking into computers. Toxic Memes seems potentially useful, with its system for memetic attacks. I've gotten some use out of In the Well, Under Pressure, and Deep Beyond, though not a lot: the Mars stuff in In the Well was the biggest help, with one of the PCs having been a marshal. The Personnel Files information on infomorphs has been useful as well.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Fnordianslip

I'm also a fan of Broken Dreams. Good stuff there to add color and challenge to a game. It shows how a lot of the world isn't in the fifth wave, and how some of em resent it.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Khaoticphury

Between Fifth Wave and Broken Dreams, you can re-create any "Have-Have Not's" situation in style. Outside of the core rulebook, those were the two I used the most to make my character.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Honor

Well... I picked up "High Frontier" at a used bookstore on a whim and loved it, so I decided to go to the beginning...

The hardbound Transhuman Space arrived today, and I only got a chance to read the first few pages before I had to go to a couple other engagements... Mostly, just the vignette with the Martian Triads.

There's not much that makes me want to resort to internet teenage girlisms like

Quote:
OMG! Squeee! *dies!*
...but this is sure doing it for me so far.

I'm an old-school Traveller and T2300 player from back before the days of gravity and weather, and I can tell you I'll probably be buying everything in the Transhuman Space line in the forseeable future. Especially the Spaceships one (thank you for the tip!)... That sounds like just my thing.
Honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
RelFexive

How is Broken Dreams for backstopping a good cyberpunk-styled THS game? I've heard a lot of the not-so-Fifth-Wave area sections of the book are good for that kind of feel...

"My God - you're like a trained ape. Without the training."

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."
RelFexive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelFexive
How is Broken Dreams for backstopping a good cyberpunk-styled THS game? I've heard a lot of the not-so-Fifth-Wave area sections of the book are good for that kind of feel...
While there are areas in the THS world which look and feel a lot like the good old cyberpunk megaplex (LA for example), what I liked most about Broken Dreams was the information about the TSA and the Caliphat. These powers make the THS world really interesting ad offer something really novel.