Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Zoomfarg

Default [Thaumatology/Magical Styles] broad optional rules by school/style

The Extra Option and Rule of Exemption perks in Magical Styles allow characters to benefit from optional rules from Thaumatology. However, when the perks benefit "ordinary" or "tactical" casting, mages must specialize the perk per spell.

What if I want to design a styles that takes advantage of an optional rule that can be used for ordinary casting of all spells?

For example, say most mages can't trade extra energy for extra skill, but the Order of Magical Misabthropes learns how to spend extra energy for extra skill. How does that work?

To me, such situations (as well as the original perks) sound like unusual background advantages/perks. But I'm not sure how to price them. Maybe 5 points if they're balanced compared to the standard system? They're not unbalanced, just unusual. So energy for skill is in, but the flexible magic "no energy cost" option is out.

Last edited by Zoomfarg; 07-16-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Zoomfarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
CoyoteGestalt

Default Re: [Thaumatology/Magical Styles] broad optional rules by school/style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomfarg View Post
For example, say most mages can't trade extra energy for extra skill, but the Order of Magical Misabthropes learns how to spend extra energy for extra skill. How does that work?

To me, such situations (as well as the original perks) sound like unusual background advantages/perks. But I'm not sure how to price them. Maybe 5 points if they're balanced compared to the standard system?
I don't feel qualified to form an opinion on the larger question, but... specifically on the energy-for-skill option, I'd be inclined to charge 10 points for that as an Unusual Background, since it's not really much different from Magery +1 (Costs 1FP, -5%) at 9.5 points....
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomfarg View Post
…What if I want to design a styles that takes advantage of an optional rule that can be used for ordinary casting of all spells? … For example, say most mages can't trade extra energy for extra skill, but the Order of Magical Misabthropes learns how to spend extra energy for extra skill. How does that work? …
That's fine. They just have to buy the appropriate Magical School Familiarity perk and at least one point in each required skill and spell of the school before they can buy the style's perks. Ideally, other styles will have other goodies, and mages that learn on their own without access to a style can't learn these goodies.

You might also choose to limit the perk to those mages who have achieved some progress in the school (reached the third circle, learned 10 Fire spells, etc.).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Zoomfarg

Thanks for the help folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
but... specifically on the energy-for-skill option, I'd be inclined to charge 10 points for that as an Unusual Background, since it's not really much different from Magery +1 (Costs 1FP, -5%) at 9.5 points....
Interesting! Makes me want to poke into the scale-able FP cost from Powers (can't remember what it's called of the top of my head). I'd be sort of inclined to charge less than 10, as the energy-for-skill option uses the values from ceremonial magic (20%, 40%, 60%, and 100%). So up to a 4 energy spell, these options are the same, but for 5 and up the option you presented is significantly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
That's fine. They just have to buy the appropriate Magical School Familiarity perk and at least one point in each required skill and spell of the school before they can buy the style's perks.
This is sort of what I was inclined to do. It's definitely an easy option for me as the GM. Though points-in-style-spells let characters buy points in perks, not perks outright (so a 5 point perk might take awhile to get). I think the "points in perks" is RAW, but I can't recall ATM without the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
You might also choose to limit the perk to those mages who have achieved some progress in the school (reached the third circle, learned 10 Fire spells, etc.).
This is a great idea thanks!
Zoomfarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical styles, thaumatology