Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
RedMattis

Default Difficult to Hit Advantage

What do you guys think would be a fair price for an advantage which makes a character difficult to hit?

I'm looking to set a generic advantage so I can add (home-made) modifiers to.

Examples:
A shadow-monster with a small 'heart' which is the only part which can be injured. The rest of its body is still substantial, but ignores damage which doesn't have a special property which circumvents the advantage.

A wraith wearing a trinket which binds its soul to the physical world. Most attacks to its body just go through it as if it was an illusion.

A vampire which takes something like 1/5 of normal damage except when hitting the heart (or to a lesser extent, brain).

In most cases I could use existing advantages and modify the heck out of them, but I don't really feel like it tends to give very fair point-values.
Active Chameleon (sight) tends to work out too cheap compared to, say, enhanced dodge (which won't help you when unaware of the enemy). IT: Damage divisor ends up extremely expensive (especially compared to just buying HP). HP with modifiers is a bit awkward.

This is what I figured would be 'fair'. I based the value on the idea of an Enhanced Dodge (15p) that was always active and helpful.

Hard to Hit [25 Points]
Hitting you is more difficult than your size modifier would otherwise indicate. This might be due to a telekinetic shield, strange blur, parts of your body being immune to damage, etc.

Enchantment ideas:
Obvious Signature: (or very well known) weak-spot, like a nano-bot swarm with a highly visible red energy core in the center, +0%
Low Signature: A ghost wearing bound to a worn necklace, +10%
No Signature: A vampire's heart, +20%
No Signature & Unknown: As per above but virtually no one knows about your weak-spot (but could target it unknowingly if is fairly large), +50%

Limitations ideas:
Bleed-through: Attacks that fail to hit you due to this trait still cause injury but cause less damage and/or heal faster, -?%
Invulnerable: Attacks that fail to hit you due to this trait still hit, but cause no injury. You can still be grappled or knocked back, for example. -20%
Old 06-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Difficult to Hit Advantage

I think most people start with Obscure (with things like Stealthy and Defensive) to make it harder to get hit. That's not perfect because it doesn't affect all senses, though.

You can do Unkillable w/Regeneration or Supernatural Durability, either with a limitation based around what actually does kill you (I think SD actually has that built in).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Refplace

Maybe go for an Obscure with Defensive, Stealth and Targeting only?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
RedMattis

For a PC Obscure typically ends up costing no more than 10 points per level even if you start stacking enhancements since it has a base cost of 2. That is extremely cheap for something which is generally significantly stronger than Enhanced Dodge even in a direct fight unless you're facing extremely skilled opponents, which in a non-dungeon fantasy/pulp-action kind of setting that is unlikely.

Even if you just use a version that covers vision and not other senses it will work for 95% of the fights*. And this without considering that you're also getting a great stealth ability, which frankly is the intended primary use.

*(I'm not going to shoe-horn in frequent echo-locating bat-monsters just because someone has Obscure)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
whswhs

Just do a combination of the three Enhanced Defenses, I think.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
For a PC Obscure typically ends up costing no more than 10 points per level even if you start stacking enhancements since it has a base cost of 2. That is extremely cheap for something which is generally significantly stronger than Enhanced Dodge even in a direct fight unless you're facing extremely skilled opponents, which in a non-dungeon fantasy/pulp-action kind of setting that is unlikely.

Even if you just use a version that covers vision and not other senses it will work for 95% of the fights*. And this without considering that you're also getting a great stealth ability, which frankly is the intended primary use.

*(I'm not going to shoe-horn in frequent echo-locating bat-monsters just because someone has Obscure)
Honestly, my gut reaction for the cost of the advantage was [10]. Each +1 to defense is roughly the equivalent of -2 to attack (this trade is made in several places). +1 to all defenses is [30], so -2 to hit should be at most [30], or [15/level].

I'd argue that most of defense could be summed up with dodge, which derives from basic speed at [20] per full level. half of that indicates [10].

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Honestly, my gut reaction for the cost of the advantage was [10]. Each +1 to defense is roughly the equivalent of -2 to attack (this trade is made in several places). +1 to all defenses is [30], so -2 to hit should be at most [30], or [15/level].

I'd argue that most of defense could be summed up with dodge, which derives from basic speed at [20] per full level. half of that indicates [10].
Makes sense to me. It might be a bit strong against ranged opponents, since there isn't a Telegraphic Attack for ranged attacks as far as I recall, but then again someone spending 60 points to give everyone a -4 to attack them doesn't seem better than 6 points of DR or the offensive power of DX+3.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #8
RedMattis

For a vampire which can only be slain via heart-damage and recovers other damage very quickly.

Hard to Hit 5 [57]
(No Signature, +20%; 'Invulnerable', -10%; Still takes normal injury elsewhere, but it won't kill unless below hp*-5, it regenerates quickly, -20%)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Obscure (Anti-Targeting) seems to be a very good fit.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
...since there isn't a Telegraphic Attack for ranged attacks as far as I recall,...
Prediction Shots is an optional rule in Martial arts 121.