Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
hal

Default Psionics in a horror campaign

Hello Folks,
At present, I'm about to run the second installment of my "Modern Day Fantasy" campaign that started recently. One of the "threads" of things that I intend to introduce into the campaign, is a PSI master who uses people as toys.

For instance, this individual (Might be a man, might be a woman - definitely rich and well off due to their ability to manipulate people) has the ability to enter into people's minds, read their thoughts and memories, and then speak to them as they see fit.

Based upon the above, it wouldn't take much for this person to impersonate either a deity or an angel, and tell the person that they have a holy mandate to engage in certain behaviors. Imagine if you will, said person could persuade the victim, that all psychic advisors save a few, are fakes, and that some certain psychic advisors actually have the demon-spawned ability to read the future - but do so only to entrap souls for the devil.

Now imagine said individual being able to hunt through the internet and/or telephone directories in order to find such "targets" for the manipulated victim to kill/hunt.

If you were such a psi - what would you do, and why? If you were to build such a villian(ess) - what would you design into said NPC character?

For the record? The campaign I'm running is loosely based upon CJ CARELLA's WITCHCRAFT world, in which the following is true:

A) anyone with the "Gift" is to be hunted to extinction.
B) anyone who is using their gifts to the harm of others, is to be hunted to extinction
C) anyone who is willing to hunt these "monstrocities" is to be brought into the fold, and the organization is to act as their patron. Said organization has infiltrated many levels of the Law Enforcement agencies, and in turn, makes an attempt to insure that the organization's existance remains a secret.

This organization makes no effort to keep demons and other evil entities from engaging in activities that prey upon humanity - which means the organization is not really oriented upon finding evil (such as Monster hunters do) and rooting it out.

In all, I'm casting a net of sorts for ideas on how this interaction between the evil NPC and the ORGANIZATION might compell said individual to be exceedingly cautious about being found out, yet continue in their favorite pastime of "Puppets".

Thoughts? Comments?

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
hal

Default Re: Psionics in a horror campaign

And yes, before any asks...

There are Demons, Vampires, Ghosts, Voodun practioners, Spirits, Elves, Brownies, Water nymphs, mages, etc

It is just that for the longest time, the gifted were few in numbers, and mana has uniformly been exceedingly low. The Devil's Triangle suffers from surges of mana levels from time to time, and on certain days of the year, mana rises like a tide of sorts such that mana becomes more plentiful. Most of those who would practice magic will suffer from a -5 (or more) penalty due to ambient mana levels, and suffer an additional up to -5 depending upon whether or not the mage is near holy ground etc.

For what it is worth, I'm not yet sold on the idea of using GURPS MAGIC modified by the additional rules from GURPS CABAL. I am considering the prospect of using ritual magic in some fashion or wise, but can't really determine what sort of alternative magic I'd like to use. I am ALMOST tempted to use the MONSTER HUNTERS ritual magic system, but shy away from its use primarily because I won't be using 400 character point player characters!

Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
In all, I'm casting a net of sorts for ideas on how this interaction between the evil NPC and the ORGANIZATION might compell said individual to be exceedingly cautious about being found out, yet continue in their favorite pastime of "Puppets".

Thoughts? Comments?
How would The Organisation even find him? Can he use his psychic powers from afar, or does he need to touch (or be really close to) his victims?

Does the Organisation have something that help them combat psykers? Mental Strength-training or TL^ gear that gives a bonus against it?
Does they have anyone or something to "sniff out" psykers? Or maybe more importantly, someone he has been in mental touch with.

I mean, the only way really to make him be more cautious, is if he feels like they are closing in on him. So they need to have the means to do so.

Quote:
A) anyone with the "Gift" is to be hunted to extinction.
B) anyone who is using their gifts to the harm of others, is to be hunted to extinction
Why have B when you already have A?

[edit]
Quote:
For what it is worth, I'm not yet sold on the idea of using GURPS MAGIC modified by the additional rules from GURPS CABAL. I am considering the prospect of using ritual magic in some fashion or wise, but can't really determine what sort of alternative magic I'd like to use.
Oh I though you would be using the psychic powers rules, and not magic. I thought "the gift" was psychic powers. My above comments still stands though.

Last edited by Maz; 11-22-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
How would The Organisation even find him? Can he use his psychic powers from afar, or does he need to touch (or be really close to) his victims?

Does the Organisation have something that help them combat psykers? Mental Strength-training or TL^ gear that gives a bonus against it?
Does they have anyone or something to "sniff out" psykers? Or maybe more importantly, someone he has been in mental touch with.

I mean, the only way really to make him be more cautious, is if he feels like they are closing in on him. So they need to have the means to do so.

Why have B when you already have A?

[edit]

Oh I though you would be using the psychic powers rules, and not magic. I thought "the gift" was psychic powers. My above comments still stands though.
Some of the "organization" tend to have pet psi's in their employ. Psi sniffers in general, or even screamers.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:

Thoughts? Comments?
Just a thought, but if I was said Puppet-master, living in this world, I'd be the #2 Henchman to the (supposed) Master Villain, who would be, in reality, just another of my very well-cultivated Meat Puppets. Or maybe their embarrassing sidekick/jester, with Honest Face, Pitiable, Unattractive, Controllable Disadvantage (Cowardice) and the like--just awkward and servile enough that when Captain Squarejaw burst through the door, he'll be pointing his Omniblaster at anyone but the right person. Play it right, and the good Captain might actually rescue the bad guy...
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
Just a thought, but if I was said Puppet-master, living in this world, I'd be the #2 Henchman to the (supposed) Master Villain, who would be, in reality, just another of my very well-cultivated Meat Puppets. Or maybe their embarrassing sidekick/jester, with Honest Face, Pitiable, Unattractive, Controllable Disadvantage (Cowardice) and the like--just awkward and servile enough that when Captain Squarejaw burst through the door, he'll be pointing his Omniblaster at anyone but the right person. Play it right, and the good Captain might actually rescue the bad guy...
Yup! Nice... that'd be the smart way to play things.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Edman

A villain with good publicity could also pose an interesting conundrum. Yes, he's evil for stealing people's minds, and he uses them for his own pleasures, but he's also the mayor of a city that he treats exceptionally well. Almost full employment, many selflessly dedicated teachers provide good grades and well-mannered kids, alcohol and drug abuse are stamped out and crime is non-existent. Sure, some former "candidates for re-education" comes back a little wrong, but everyone's happy.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
but everyone's happy.
I just got chills down my spine... that's just pure evil.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
hal

Interesting arrangement there - regards to a mayor of a good town/city arrangement. Now all I have to do is figure out the ramifications of "re-educated" individuals relative to the Aura capabilites...