Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Lameth

Default other metals

I was wondering if anyone has prices for other metals, other then gold/silver/copper, in DF? I know there has been many posts for the "money" metals, but has anyone figured out prices for Iron, tin, lead, ect. ? Basically, im running a Alchemist and I am getting into deep role playing on components and items he needs for her items. I need a DF price list for sulpher, lead, ect.

thank you!

Last edited by Lameth; 11-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: other metals

Low Tech Companion have the costs of many materials.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think lead was mainly a byproduct of gold and silver mining, so they should go together.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I was wondering if anyone has prices for other metals, other then gold/silver/copper, in DF? I know there has been many posts for the "money" metals, but has anyone figured out prices for Iron, tin, lead, ect. ? Basically, im running a Alchemist and I am getting into deep role playing on components and items he needs for her items. I need a DF price list for sulpher, lead, ect.

thank you!
Well ...

DF Gold is 20 000 G$ per lb.
LT Gold is also 20 000 G$ per lb.

Pull the prices from Low-Tech for the stuff it has?

Alternatively: Pull the modern prices (in USD) for the substance you're looking for, adjust by the same factor as if you were buying bread (if it costs $1.50 USD to buy a loaf of bread at the time you are price checking, multiply the cost of the substances by 1.5; if it is $0.90 to buy a loaf of bread at the time you are price checking, multiply the cost of the substances by 0.90; etc ...) and use that?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think lead was mainly a byproduct of gold and silver mining, so they should go together.
Silver and lead occur together in sulphide ore associations, and silver is sometimes found in a natural alloy with native gold, but gold and lead aren't associated much because gold doesn't form sulphides. Which means that when silver is cheap there are places where lead is cheap, which doesn't interest us much while we are fixing a single price for all places and several tech levels.

I'm no help, since I am only going to point out that the relative prices of commodities vary from place to place and from time to time, that this is key to understanding both trade and technological development, and that if you're going to sweep those issues under the rug you might as well not bother to research a "real-world" price. You might just as well Google "base industrial metals spot prices" and use what you find. It's no more wrong than any other. But that's just me, right?

Last edited by Agemegos; 11-23-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Dustin

There's a pretty cool resource at http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/metal_prices/ that gives historical prices for some metals back to around 1900. If you're willing to use that as a baseline (should be good enough for DF except for industrial-era metals like aluminum) you can derive relative pricing from there. For instance in 1909, lead went for .04 $/lb while copper was .13 $/lb, so you could plausibly assign lead 1/3 the value of copper.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
You might just as well Google "base industrial metals spot prices" and use what you find. It's no more wrong than any other.
I usually do this. It's as wrong as anything else, and much simpler to find :)

I calibrate based around the list price for silver in DF, round to an aesthetically pleasing value, and that's usually as much fuss as I'm willing to go to. And yet I'll spend all afternoon fussing with the dimensions of coins, go figure.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote