Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default So who has completed the campaign?

I just finished the campaign, and all I can say is (especially in #10) save often. It seems to have some gremlins in it that cause the scenario to barf. I was 2 turns away from easily completing it when I tried the replay button for the first time (the game routed my Mark III through rubble and got it stuck). That's probably a UI/AI bug in itself... there was a clear path the other way, why would it ever route through something it can get stuck in when there's no reason to?

The second time, I was on the final turn and decided to overrun the objective with my mark IV, and the overrun got locked up into a loop where I couldn't target the building to fire, or ram. being a long scenario, I was not very happy being 2+ hours into it (again) to be screwed on the final turn. thankfully, I did a save game and load and even though what loaded was a little odd, it still let me finish the scenario.

So fair warning, things are still a bit dodgy so save often.

Other than that, overall I'm very happy with the concepts in the scenarios. most of them play well, even if they didn't seem particularly difficult. I really think the last one is unbalanced; it was way too easy, especially with the reinforcements. There were still a few lingering bugs around disabled units that probably helped a little, but they didn't make that much of a difference. I still had an overwhelming force at the end of the game.

I think with some AI improvements, they would be harder/more balanced
Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #2
Blue Ghost

Default Re: So who has completed the campaign?

Still stuck on 7. I've tried an all SH, all GEV, an all LT, a mix of LTs and Missile Tanks ... I can't seem to get good enough die rolls on these guys.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Thirdpower

I'm taking my sweet time on the campaign, just finished the third scenario, and played a number of the 'skirmish' scenarios. Love the game but so far I've been unimpressed w/ the AI and I don't consider myself that good of a player.

Aside: I still party like it's 1989. Which is the 'save' button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I just finished the campaign, and all I can say is (especially in #10) save often. It seems to have some gremlins in it that cause the scenario to barf. I was 2 turns away from easily completing it when I tried the replay button for the first time (the game routed my Mark III through rubble and got it stuck). That's probably a UI/AI bug in itself... there was a clear path the other way, why would it ever route through something it can get stuck in when there's no reason to?

The second time, I was on the final turn and decided to overrun the objective with my mark IV, and the overrun got locked up into a loop where I couldn't target the building to fire, or ram. being a long scenario, I was not very happy being 2+ hours into it (again) to be screwed on the final turn. thankfully, I did a save game and load and even though what loaded was a little odd, it still let me finish the scenario.

So fair warning, things are still a bit dodgy so save often.

Other than that, overall I'm very happy with the concepts in the scenarios. most of them play well, even if they didn't seem particularly difficult. I really think the last one is unbalanced; it was way too easy, especially with the reinforcements. There were still a few lingering bugs around disabled units that probably helped a little, but they didn't make that much of a difference. I still had an overwhelming force at the end of the game.

I think with some AI improvements, they would be harder/more balanced
Old 10-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
JayBee13

I've completed it.

I almost completed #9 with a GEV only force-- all three ogres defanged, and everything gone except for the CP and it's howitzer protectors. I only had four GEV's left, so the math didn't work. I thought I had to complete it with only GEV's. I tried many times. Then I noticed the reinforcements rule during one replay. Then it became easy.

I completed #10 on the first try. I encountered no mission ending bugs, thankfully. I also made sure to not mistakenly click "Skip Phase" instead of "Fire". That's my big UI thing to watch out for.
JayBee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee13 View Post
I've completed it.

I almost completed #9 with a GEV only force-- all three ogres defanged, and everything gone except for the CP and it's howitzer protectors. I only had four GEV's left, so the math didn't work. I thought I had to complete it with only GEV's. I tried many times. Then I noticed the reinforcements rule during one replay. Then it became easy.

I completed #10 on the first try. I encountered no mission ending bugs, thankfully. I also made sure to not mistakenly click "Skip Phase" instead of "Fire". That's my big UI thing to watch out for.
I have skipped more times than I care to think about.

The main thing with reinforcements is the dialog box is too easy to miss. It needs to be displayed on the center of of the screen instead of hidden on the bottom.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I was 2 turns away from easily completing it when I tried the replay button for the first time (the game routed my Mark III through rubble and got it stuck). That's probably a UI/AI bug in itself... there was a clear path the other way, why would it ever route through something it can get stuck in when there's no reason to?
I can imagine doing that if it was outmatched in firepower and the unexpected rubble move gave it a shot at some of your units, but in general, yes. An AI of average skills should probably just never enter swamp or rubble. A hypothetical Really Smart AI would take the risk occasionally just to be unpredictable, but only when it stood to gain meaningfully if it didn't get stuck.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I can imagine doing that if it was outmatched in firepower and the unexpected rubble move gave it a shot at some of your units, but in general, yes. An AI of average skills should probably just never enter swamp or rubble. A hypothetical Really Smart AI would take the risk occasionally just to be unpredictable, but only when it stood to gain meaningfully if it didn't get stuck.
Exactly. This was simply moving around a crater. One direction went through clear terrain, the other through rubble. Double-clicking the destination hex chose the path through the rubble and, of course, rolled a 1.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
skraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Still stuck on 7. I've tried an all SH, all GEV, an all LT, a mix of LTs and Missile Tanks ... I can't seem to get good enough die rolls on these guys.
#7 Turning the Tables.
Yeah I have tried all those combinations too. Any hints guys? The third wave is always a problem. I have tried using armor to taxi infantry out to battle, to enhance the firepower. I even tried a mobile howitzer. It is able to get into the fight via the road but if the enemy goes to the other side of the map...
skraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skraig View Post
#7 Turning the Tables.
Yeah I have tried all those combinations too. Any hints guys? The third wave is always a problem. I have tried using armor to taxi infantry out to battle, to enhance the firepower. I even tried a mobile howitzer. It is able to get into the fight via the road but if the enemy goes to the other side of the map...
IIRC, that's the one where you need to keep anything from reaching the beach. I did it by using HVYs and GEVs; roughly 2/3 GEV, 1/3 HVY. I put the HVYs and one group of GEVs on the left side with access to the roads, and the other group of GEVs on the right side, and spilt the INF between both sides.

I ran the GEVs up the roads and started with the MBs, then focused on trading shots at treads between the Ogres. Don't underestimate the value of the 1:2 ratio shots of GEVs against a D4 MB; it's surprising how often it works.

Since the main issue is speed, it's important to not get wrapped up in reducing a single Ogre by multiple movement; it's better to get them all to M2, then M1, otherwise one of the ones with M3 will sneak through. Dropping by even 1 movement lengthens the map. I also made sure to place AUs in position to fire at multiple Ogres each turn so I could shift gears and change to the next-fastest Ogre once I had reduced the speed of a different one.

Don't be afraid to force the Ogre to overrun, either. Especially toward the end, you can knock off a couple treads by ramming if you really need to.

By the time the 3rd wave is coming in, the INF are in a decent position to harass in the middle of the map with a couple of the GEVs. The AI seems to try avoiding units, so it's possible to corral them into the middle.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee13 View Post
Yeah, there's no time limit really, so you can keep bobbing and weaving with the GEVs. Once the broadcast centers are taken out, they can bait the forces away from the right side so your reinforcements can move in.