Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Are we using the last gasp in this fight? And where are the rules for "One Foe" giving a bonus to defense?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
Plane

If you have access to Last Gasp then yeah that would be cool to use, though I don't know if fights would last long enough to run out of AP.

One Foe is found in Technical Grappling, it doesn't appear to have any disadvantages unless a 3rd party arrives. Better defenses might allow fights to last a little longer.

I forgot to tally, Committed Attack costs 2 AP which would bring me down to 9/12. I had forgotten it cost more, seriously regretting my choice!

(what would you think about converting the Extra Effort in Combat costs from FP to AP if using Last Gasp?)

Anyway after mulling it over, since target affects defenses, I am going to roll Random Hit Location from http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=109239

I got an 11 again on my 3d6, which is the abdomen. Rolling on sub-table E, I got a 5, which is pelvis (a hit location discussed in either High-Tech or Tactical Shooting I think, basically has similar effects to hitting the leg in regard to affecting stanc)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Wow, we're playing full Douglas Cole then? All right. I'm fine with extra effort costing AP instead of FP, though a 2:1 ratio may be appropriate.

Red deflects what he can only call a blow below the belt:

parry: base 11 +1 (one foe) =12 vs 9 ... Success!

Before his foe can withdraw his arm from such an extended attack, Red quickly throws a punch at a random location!

Attack (punch) at random location : skill 16 - 4(deceptive) = 12 vs 8 ... success!

and the hit location is... the shins. This makes no sense. I'm not sure if the shins have DR in this setup either.

7/10 AP.

NOTE: I made a couple of "Rolls" without dice in there.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
Plane

2:1 ratio for AP:FP cost is fine, so in that case instead of being at 9/12 AP and 11/12 FP, I would be at 7/12 AP and 12/12 FP. I was also thinking that using "Second Wind" to burn 1 FP to regain 50AP should perhaps cost a Ready maneuver in its basic form, but if you make a will roll then you can do it as a free action, sort of like a Quick-Draw?

Since you lose AP equal to shock, I would allow reducing people involuntarily below 0 AP, but in that case they would uncontrollably spend the FP, which would force them to take a Ready unless they made their will check (which would also be subject to the shock penalty, since IQ based)

back to 282 at https://dicelog.com/joinlogdice (I am willing to invite anyone else who wants to provide a registered e-mail, if you want to check our numbers, BTW, since I think only we can see them right now)

I guess I should have made a deceptive attack! I was hoping your parry would fail...

I think in cases of weird stuff like you punching me in the shin or the foot, you've opted to crouch? If you absolutely don't want to crouch, I think I'd be okay with substituting a "Do Nothing" (without the +4 bonus on HT roll to recover AP, of course) if a must-crouch thing came up on the table...

We probably should take the -2 to skill for crouching into account in the future if you remain crouched or if either of us must enter a crouch to attack a low target. The -2 to use arms to parry lower body in MA actually makes this a pretty decent deal (leg parries might be preferable!)

In your case since you rolled 8 v 12, you still would have succeeded with 8 v 10 so it doesn't affect the result.

In response to your shin-punch, I'm going to Dodge using Feverish Defense this time (the -2 to parry attacks on lower body makes dodging more attractive, even if Cross Parrying makes them equal numbers) spending 3 AP and... I fail with a 13, which is over my target number of 11 (9 grows to 10 with one foe, shrinks to 8 from deceptive, grows to 10 from feverish...

I'm not sure how I got 11, I was intending to retreat for a +3 but I guess since I only added a +1 I'll consider that a "slip" attempt) so you hit, please roll damage against my shin.

(I took the 1st roll, for some reason it rolled 12 times, I must have mistakenly added a 2 after the default 1 in "Roll how many times" without noticing... it seems they also cut off long messages so I'll try and figure out a short-hand and leave longer explanations for here)

I don't think shins have DR by default (1 DR as a house rule probably wouldn't hurt, considering the skull has 2, but I leave it up to you, since this would benefit Arthur), but perhaps it should be easier to Hurt Yourself when hitting shins with body parts in general? It certainly is when shins knock shins so I don't see why it wouldn't be when knuckles knock shins...

After we resolve Damage / Shock since I'm slipping into your rear hex (having already closed into close combat with you) we'll resolve my Evade vs your Obstruct context afterward. I'll be doing a 180 degree turn to face your back at the end of my turn, of course, since I don't want you starting your turn in my rear hex :)

Last edited by Plane; 11-07-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
2:1 ratio for AP:FP cost is fine, so in that case instead of being at 9/12 AP and 11/12 FP, I would be at 7/12 AP and 12/12 FP. I was also thinking that using "Second Wind" to burn 1 FP to regain 50AP should perhaps cost a Ready maneuver in its basic form, but if you make a will roll then you can do it as a free action, sort of like a Quick-Draw?

Since you lose AP equal to shock, I would allow reducing people involuntarily below 0 AP, but in that case they would uncontrollably spend the FP, which would force them to take a Ready unless they made their will check (which would also be subject to the shock penalty, since IQ based)

Naw, spending extra energy shouldn't take more time, you just spend the energy. You don't need to free it, you just suddenly do it. Auto-spending FP to bring your AP from involuntary loss up to 0 sounds fine. As a note, you get 50 percent of AP from an FP, not 50 AP.

Quote:
I guess I should have made a deceptive attack! I was hoping your parry would fail...

It is almost always worth it to deceptive attack until you're down in the 12 or 13 range. This works because 50% of the 3d6 probability is between 8 and 12. If their defense is above 8 and you have a 14 or higher for your attack, go deceptive.

Quote:
I think in cases of weird stuff like you punching me in the shin or the foot, you've opted to crouch? If you absolutely don't want to crouch, I think I'd be okay with substituting a "Do Nothing" (without the +4 bonus on HT roll to recover AP, of course) if a must-crouch thing came up on the table...

We probably should take the -2 to skill for crouching into account in the future if you remain crouched or if either of us must enter a crouch to attack a low target. The -2 to use arms to parry lower body in MA actually makes this a pretty decent deal (leg parries might be preferable!)

This thread is relevant. Basically, I rolled on the table for hit location, and so I don't get penalties. That said, on page 99 of martial arts it details additional penalties to locations in postures. punching a foot isn't mentioned, but it talks about punching a prone foe requiring "the attacker to stoop into a near-crouch", and inflicting a -2 penalty.

Quote:
I don't think shins have DR by default (1 DR as a house rule probably wouldn't hurt, considering the skull has 2, but I leave it up to you, since this would benefit Arthur), but perhaps it should be easier to Hurt Yourself when hitting shins with body parts in general? It certainly is when shins knock shins so I don't see why it wouldn't be when knuckles knock shins...
Martial page 124 has an option for this... but it looks like it only applies to shins vs. shins or attacks vs. skulls. Its also quite optional.

6 - 2 = 4 damage! max hit! (but not a major nor crippling wound, sadly).

Where are the rules for slipping?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Naw, spending extra energy shouldn't take more time, you just spend the energy. You don't need to free it, you just suddenly do it. Auto-spending FP to bring your AP from involuntary loss up to 0 sounds fine.
The "possibly takes time" idea is mostly to prevent people spending FP too quickly. The original system that that problem where if you used Extra Effort on both an attack/defense every second, you could burn through 10 FP in 5 seconds and fall unconscious very quickly. I guess converting EE costs to AP with a decent ratio solves that.
Maybe something like allowing

Quote:
As a note, you get 50 percent of AP from an FP, not 50 AP.
Actually, SW restores AP equal to 50% of your HT, so buying extra AP won't improve the amount you get per HP, so people who buy up AP apart from Health might want to buy up SW to get an improved ratio. At 5/level it's like people start with 5 levels for free [25].

It's hard to envision the math as % of HT, I think I'd prefer something like "get back 1 AP per level by spending 1 FP" otherwise it's like each point of HT has a built in "restore 0.1 AP per level of Second Wind" but then it's like Second Wind has a "restore 0.1 AP per level of HT" so it's all multiplicative...

Quote:
It is almost always worth it to deceptive attack until you're down in the 12 or 13 range. This works because 50% of the 3d6 probability is between 8 and 12. If their defense is above 8 and you have a 14 or higher for your attack, go deceptive.
It won't even increase the chances of critical failure, and critical successes only happen if you rise above 14.

Quote:
This thread is relevant. Basically, I rolled on the table for hit location, and so I don't get penalties. That said, on page 99 of martial arts it details additional penalties to locations in postures. punching a foot isn't mentioned, but it talks about punching a prone foe requiring "the attacker to stoop into a near-crouch", and inflicting a -2 penalty.
That matches up with Kromm's "You can easily hammer-fist a foot when someone is running and his foot is off the ground, and flexible person really can drop and punch the foot that easy"

Of course, there's no telling that someone actually does lift their foot off the ground (shufflers) and even though flexible people can punch the foot "easy" that's probably just be absorbing the -2.

That's why I figure the random hit location should be more like "ignore basic penalties, but still take standard posture penalties if they're required to hit it, and Do Nothing if you don't want to crouch and take the -2)

Quote:
Martial page 124 has an option for this... but it looks like it only applies to shins vs. shins or attacks vs. skulls. Its also quite optional.

Quote:
6 - 2 = 4 damage! max hit! (but not a major nor crippling wound, sadly).
Dang, this reduces me from 12 HP to 8 HP. This may not be a major wound, but it does inflict Partial Injuries to... hm you didn't say WHICH leg but I can see result 13 on the table is "Left (Left)".

This is "Injury over HP/5, up to HP/3" on MA136 so in HT*2 (24) seconds to kick/move/dodge to contend with. In the meantime, I only have the -4 to DX/IQ to deal with. I believe we should also use the "Bruised Knuckles" rule on MA124 where any hits attacks performed with an injured limb suffer lost HP in shock, mitigated by taking a damage penalty. It's not going to affect me much since I don't plan on kicking you!

Now that I'm thinking of left/right it occurs to me we do not know our characters' handedness. Do you want to assume we're both ambidextrous, both right-handed? I'm going to selfishly say "I'm not left-handed".

- - -

Page 9 of Last Gasp "Injury and Damage" means I would also lose 4 AP, less whatever I can mitigate AP loss by the margin of victory on an HT roll which suffers the shock penalty, so I have to roll against HT-4, or 8 or less.

I rolled a 14, a failure. My "Feverish Dodge" would've reduced AP from 7 to 4, so my AP is reduced from 4 to 0.

I won't benefit now since I failed my roll, but would you want to use the "let the same HT roll mitigate both shock and AP loss" guideline in the next paragraph in the future? In that case you would still penalize the HT roll by full shock, but then possibly lessen shock for future considerations if passing it.

I don't want to use "halve injury (round down) when figuring shock", that's why we have High Pain Threshold! I like every point of damage mattering... Since HP20 takes 1 shock per 2 dmg (high HP and Shock, B419) we could use 1 shock per HP/10 damage but that would favor Arthur Green (HP 12) over Zack Red (HP 10) and leave me with only -3 shock (more than 3.6 less than 4.8) and 1 AP instead of 0, so... your choice.

Quote:
Where are the rules for slipping?
MA123, Retreat Options, continued on 124 (upper left)

Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure if you can use Slips/Sideslips in close combat, because moving to any hex but the one you're sharing with your enemy is moving away from him, and would be a standard +3 retreat...

My perspective here though is that if I am trying to exit through your side's half, 3 hexes normally denied, moving THROUGH you, that this is initially moving toward you and so would only give a +1.

Since we started 1 yard apart, on your first turn when you punched to the torso you had to have used your free step. This would've made it cost 1 AP to retreat from Green's punch to Red's pelvis, perhaps why you didn't? :)

Since we were already in range C, I didn't use my free step, which is why I was able to retreat against your 2nd attack. I probably should've done it against your 1st but you already rolled the damage and that would've stopped me from counter-attacking...

B368 requires I ask if you want to stop me from moving behind you or not. Do you? This also gives you a chance to state preference for scaling shock tiers or not so I know whether to roll at -3 or -4 if you resist.

Last edited by Plane; 11-10-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Of course, there's no telling that someone actually does lift their foot off the ground (shufflers) and even though flexible people can punch the foot "easy" that's probably just be absorbing the -2.

That's why I figure the random hit location should be more like "ignore basic penalties, but still take standard posture penalties if they're required to hit it, and Do Nothing if you don't want to crouch and take the -2)

Frankly, I'd be happiest with saying that all low blows are rerolled on the random hit table, or that leg/foot hits are converted to arm/hand. I feel strongly that rolling on the random hit table should not change your posture. Also, "crouching" is not a posture (at least not in basic). Its either standing or Kneeling, and I think Kneeling is overkill.

Quote:
This is "Injury over HP/5, up to HP/3" on MA136
Thank you for the reference!

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking of left/right it occurs to me we do not know our characters' handedness. Do you want to assume we're both ambidextrous, both right-handed? I'm going to selfishly say "I'm not left-handed".

Its your foot, so it doesn't matter. I'm game with us both being right handers.

Quote:
I won't benefit now since I failed my roll, but would you want to use the "let the same HT roll mitigate both shock and AP loss" guideline in the next paragraph in the future? In that case you would still penalize the HT roll by full shock, but then possibly lessen shock for future considerations if passing it.

Yes, that's fine with me.

Quote:
I don't want to use "halve injury (round down) when figuring shock", that's why we have High Pain Threshold! I like every point of damage mattering... Since HP20 takes 1 shock per 2 dmg (high HP and Shock, B419) we could use 1 shock per HP/10 damage but that would favor Arthur Green (HP 12) over Zack Red (HP 10) and leave me with only -3 shock (more than 3.6 less than 4.8) and 1 AP instead of 0, so... your choice.
It lists that as an "OR" option, and I agree the mitigating HT roll is enough. Though that actually gives green the bigger advantage, because he's got much better HT. Lets use the mitigating HT roll.

Quote:
Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure if you can use Slips/Sideslips in close combat, because moving to any hex but the one you're sharing with your enemy is moving away from him, and would be a standard +3 retreat...

My perspective here though is that if I am trying to exit through your side's half, 3 hexes normally denied, moving THROUGH you, that this is initially moving toward you and so would only give a +1.

I can see why that would look like a side slip. By RAW, I don't think a slip or a side slip is possible, because of the movement restrictions. Basic page 391 covers Leaving a foe's hex in close combat, and is fairly explicit about which hexes are legal to step to. It talks about the need to evade in order to move past other characters as well.

Quote:
Since we started 1 yard apart, on your first turn when you punched to the torso you had to have used your free step. This would've made it cost 1 AP to retreat from Green's punch to Red's pelvis, perhaps why you didn't? :)
Correct, and also I'm used to using only one step per round, including the retreat. Not sure if that's a house rule or not.

Quote:
B368 requires I ask if you want to stop me from moving behind you or not. Do you? This also gives you a chance to state preference for scaling shock tiers or not so I know whether to roll at -3 or -4 if you resist.

Yes, You cannot move behind me! and its a DX contest where I have a bonus, you have a shock penalty, and I'm standing for -5 to your roll. I think that's a base difference of 11!

Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
Plane

I just realized I forgot to apply a possibly mitigator here so imma backtrace and (ab?)use my GM perogative to retroactively apply that,

Using "Roll With Blow" from GURPS Martial Arts page 87, which defaults to our combat skills at -2 so per http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/...dex.php?id=one my Boxing 14 gives me RWB 12, you Brawling 16 gives you RWB 14.

Since you roll this to determine how much damage you actually take, there's no shock penalty applied yet.

I... got a 14, a failure :( Still take 4 damage.... hey so what is your opinion on Cole's "Shrug It Off" rules of subtracting MoS on a HT roll to reduce crushing damage?

I didn't perceive an answer to the proposed house rule of applying "High HP and Shock" language to all situations, not just HP20+, so I'm going to selfishly apply it now (GM abuse!) in an effort to mitigate the start of this Death Spiral.
  • "your shock penalty is -1 per HP/10 of injury (drop all fractions)."
-1 per 1.2 of injury is -3 for 3.6 and -4 for 4.8 so 4 dmg only gives me -3, and also meaning I only lost 3 AP, leaving me with 1 left.

However... considering the potential benefits of RWB and how even how it's not an active defense it sorta fuctions like on, even though I don't recall Cole addressing RWB in Last Gasp, I think it would be fair to apply a cost of 1 AP to performing RWB, which still leaves me at 0.

I don't want to be at 0 so I'm going to give us both some AP refunds. Cole mentions you can house-rule in last gasp that a margin of success of 10 on a roll refunds the AP expenditure (0 cost). This is a bit extreme to me, so I'm only going to refund 0.1xMoS AP up to 0.9 so it costs at least 0.1 no matter how critical your success is. I'm also going to apply extra AP cost equal to MoFx0.1 which only penalizes me since I'm the only one who has failed rolls so far.

Here's how it goes:
  • 1aa) your brawling punch to torso 5<12, MoS 7 refunds you 0.7 AP
    1ab) my boxing parry 8<12, MoS 4, refunds me 0.4 AP
    1ba) my boxing punch to random location 11<16, refunds me 0.5 AP
    1bb) your brawling parry 9<12 refunds you 0.3 AP
    2aa) your brawling punch to shins 8<10 (applying -2 for crouching so its not 12, keep in mind this can limit how deceptive attacks can be, but since this doesn't reduce you below 10 and you still passed it doesn't matter) refunds you 0.2 AP
    2ab) my boxing parry 13>11 costs me an extra 0.2 AP
    2ac) my roll with blow 14>12 costs me an extra 0.2 AP
Total refund to you: 0.7+0.3+0.2=1.2 extra, bringing you from 7/10 AP up to 8.2/10 AP
Total refund to me: 0.4+0.5-0.2-0.2=0.5 extra, bringing me from 0/10 AP up to 0.5/12 AP

I must double the basic damage roll (4>8) to determine knockback. 8 is still less than 10 (ST-2) so I do not suffer any knockback from your attack.

RWB says to make a DX roll at -1 per yard of knockback to avoid falling. Since this is already how knockback works, I am going to choose to interpret that as an additional DX roll, not a reminder of what to do only in cases where knockback occurs, which means I need to roll DX-0 to avoid falling down any time I use RWB, regardless of outcome.

I rolled a 14 vs my DX of 12, so I am now in a state of "falling down". Actually, after I made this roll I realized that since I did not halve the damage, I should have applied shock penalties to DX (12-3=9) something to keep in mind for the future. This increases my MoF from 2 to 5.

Do you think DX checks to avoid falling down should cost AP? I'm liking this idea, since it would allow people who want to conserve AP to simply opt to fall down if they'd like, though it's probably not a smart idea to do that because if you take damage from the fall you'd lose AP equal to shock.

I think I'm going to do that, so I lose 1.5 more AP (+0.5 is due to MoF) which brings me to -1.0. Due to that, I am forced to expend 1 FP (12>11) to get back HT/2=6 AP, bringing me up to 5.0/12 AP.

Since I am now "falling down", I am going to use the Breakfall technique (MA68) which defaults to Acrobatics. Much like with RWB / DX check since Last Gasp doesn't actually address AP costs for these, I'm going to house-rule that this technique has a cost of 1 AP to do, like an active defense.

My DX 12 gives me Acrobatics 6 by default normally, but the -3 due to shock means the default is a mere 3, just barely allowing me the option to do so.

I rolled an 11, MoF=8 so the total cost of 1.8 AP reduces me to from 5.0AP to 3.2AP.

I'm hitting the ground now. Using B431 "Hit Locations from a Fall". I roll a 9 so I land on my chest, rolling sublocation D. Rolled a 5, avoided the Vitals.

Given that centre of mass of a 6ft tall person is approximately 3ft I'm going to treat falls from standing as 1 yard, resultig in velocity 5.

B430 damage from collisions, HPxVelocity is 12x5=60, 60/100 dice of crushing damage is 0.6 dice, any fraction larger than 0.5 is 1d-1. I roll 5-1=4. This is going to suck...

TWEAK: I think since am charging AP for Roll With Blow / DX to avoid fall / Breakfall like with active defenses that they benefit from the +1 from One Foe as well. I didn't include this in my rolls and I failed them all by more than 1 so it doesn't result in passing any of them, but due to that, am going to refund 0.3 AP as they would have lessened the MoF penalties. This brings me from 3.2 AP to 3.5 AP.

Last edited by Plane; 11-12-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: tweaking
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #19
Plane

TWEAK: per https://gamingballistic.com/2013/04/25/shrug-it-off/
  • let the same HT roll mitigate both shock and AP loss. In both cases, shock should be capped at the same -4 to DX and IQ."
    I’d probably combine the roll that allows you to mitigate action point loss in The Last Gasp with this same roll.
we'll do that from now on, doesn't affect me since I failed the HT check. Applying shock as HT roll penalty is similar to applying damage as HT roll penalty.

but actually, since my Retreat+Evade happened after your first damage to me, but before I actually did my failed Breakfall against the fall resulting from my failed RWB, I believe we should actually resolve who wins this Quick Contest before actually applying this damage... and I might try to RWB a 2nd time to mitigate that.

So we'll get back to this chest fall in a 2nd, before I land it would be good to know which hex I end up landing in.

Quote:
Frankly, I'd be happiest with saying that all low blows are rerolled on the random hit table, or that leg/foot hits are converted to arm/hand. I feel strongly that rolling on the random hit table should not change your posture. Also, "crouching" is not a posture (at least not in basic). Its either standing or Kneeling, and I think Kneeling is overkill.
I agree, and based on the hit location notes in MA, it seems like "slightly crouching" (which still creates the -2) is considered to simply be a combat option available while Standing, so Standing is still the absolute posture.

I believe crouching would be adequate to punch someone in the foot because the AOA (Long) option allows you to remain standing (avoid dropping to a kneel) if you make a balance roll, so long as you place your hand on the ground for balance, so if you can place your hand on the ground you can punch a foot, but it's so awkward that you'd be at -2 unless you exited the crouch as a free action.

Given that moving into and out of crouch is a free action, the only limitation it seems to provide is how often you can do it, and at what times that can occur during your own turn. Ending your turn in a crouch is beneficial in being a smaller target against ranged attacks, but the downside is the -2 to skill, I'm not sure if that would result in a -1 to parry or if it would only be a problem if you got to make free attacks on successful defenses, like if you parried an unarmed attack with a sword.

Quote:
Its your foot, so it doesn't matter. I'm game with us both being right handers.
It matters indirectly due to the option I'm going to be taking :)

Quote:
that actually gives green the bigger advantage, because he's got much better HT. Lets use the mitigating HT roll.
Good! I think I'm going to need it!

Quote:
I'm used to using only one step per round, including the retreat. Not sure if that's a house rule or not.
Last Gasp gives you 1 free step per turn, extra steps cost AP, so if you made your step, a retreat costs AP, but if you didn't use your free step, the retreat doesn't cost AP.

Apparently the 2nd step option from Committed Attack costs AP too, which I don't like, since you already pay a heft 2 AP for CA and already sacrifice a -2 to skill to get it!

Quote:
Yes, You cannot move behind me! and its a DX contest where I have a bonus, you have a shock penalty, and I'm standing for -5 to your roll. I think that's a base difference of 11!
Shock's reduced DX 12 to DX 9 using my house rule, the -5 for you standing means I roll vs a target number of 4. I'm not sure what bonus you're referring to, far as I know you would roll vs unmodified DX of 14, so the difference in our skill would be 10.

Or... hm I guess "One Foe" should give you +1 in the contest (is that what you meant?) forgot about that, so yeah you should roll v 15 to determine your margins.

Given that evading people should take more effort than moving unopposed, I'm going to apply a base 1 AP cost to this technique. To balance it out though, since obstructing takes some effort, I'm going to apply a base 1 AP cost to you as well.

rolling v target number 4 for my half of the QC...

for some reason I wrote 0 instead of 4... the 3d6 was 10, MoF 6 so I lose 1.6 AP reducing me from 3.5/12 AP to 1.9/12 AP.

Actually... I forgot to apply posture penalties. I will not be applying whatever Shock from crushing damage to chest from hitting ground yet, but since my chest is in the process of flying toward the ground as I am trying to evade, I am clearly rotating toward a prone/lying posture.

To stop me, you need to win or tie (B368) which will happen as long as you don't have a Margin of Failure greater than 6. Since you are rolling vs 15, even if you got an 18 you would win since that's only MoF 3, but I would still like you to roll to see whether I give you an AP discount or an AP reimbursement.

You also have the option (MA106) of expending a parry (I won't charge extra AP, just the usual 1 for resisting the QC w/ DX) with a melee weapon (in this case your limbs) to substitute your combat skill (Brawling 16 for arm/punch, Brawling 15 for leg/knee, Brawling 14 for leg/kick) for DX. This would allow you to roll against a higher target in the first case (16+1=17) possibly costing you less AP.

This will allow you to roll damage (halved) as if attacked with the weapon.

Not that in the case of parrying with your legs, this would prevent you from taking a retreat if I attack you next turn. I will rule to extend that restriction to slips/sideslips but NOT to dives, because I don't see how doing a leg parry would prevent diving, and diving really needs to be incentivized as it sucks)

Do you choose to roll against your DX, or roll Obstruction via an arm or a leg? Whatever your choice, roll appropriately.
*I thought about charging an extra 1 AP for it being a parry, but throwing out an arm or a leg shouldn't be much more tiring than shifting your body to obstruct, if anything it should be MORE efficient, so forget the extra AP, only note that this counts as one of your parries...
**wait, since your parries reset at start of next turn I guess that means if you want to do it with the same arm you blocked my pelvis-punch with, you would do so at -8 to skill (the -4 for cumulative parries doubled)... so since so far I assume we have been doing that with our "on" right hands, you would be better off using your "off" left, which would only be a -4 to skill). No penalty for using a leg (aside from basic -2 for kicks) since there is no "off" leg (should we do that?) and you haven't used them yet this turn. Actually since I'm in close rang, you can roll at -1 for a knee if you like, save the -2 for kicks if someone is trying to run past adjacent hexes.

You don't need to crouch to do this YET, but I think perhaps if someone was in a lying position and trying to slither past you that it would make sense to require crouching and -2 if you were using a Punch as the damaging Obstruction instead of standard DX-based obstruct or using legs (which should have the -2 from kicking). I'm not sure about Crawling posture, perhaps a -1 for semi-crouching if trying to use arms to block.

B368 say you can crouch for free at the start of your turn, and that it is a free action to rise from a crouch at any time, so you can do that to avoid the -2 penalty if you want to use a Punch-Obstruct Agressive Parry per MA106. My centre of mass is still equivalent to standing as of my failed Slip/Evasion attempt since its effects follow the active defense and damage, and the fall happens after the DX check remain standing following resolution of knockback.

If you do exit crouch for free you cannot enter it again until the start of your next turn though, so keep that in mind if someone starts coming in with ranged weapons or if a 2nd lying-down party tries to slither past.

Last edited by Plane; 11-12-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

So it seems we are playing with every possible combat option turned on, given that we're using both cinematic techniques (like roll with the blow) and gritty realism switches?

Quote:
I didn't perceive an answer to the proposed house rule of applying "High HP and Shock" language to all situations, not just HP20+, so I'm going to selfishly apply it now (GM abuse!) in an effort to mitigate the start of this Death Spiral.

please do not GM abuse. We can always rerun a fight rather than rigging it. Could we stay RAW unless required for this fight and apply those tweaks to the next one?

I block the evasive retreat through my half of the hex. 14 vs. 12 = success by two.