Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #101
maximara

Default Re: GURPS 4th edition 15th anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
To be fair, he's not the only one.

The GURPS games I've run so far (in rough order):

Star Wars, weekly for about six months

2 sessions of my Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy setting, before RL hit some of my players.

3 sessions of a Fantasy on the High Seas game, before players were lured off by a Pathfinder Planescape game

another Star Wars game, again weekly for about 4-6 months

A space opera space pirates game, lasted several months

Marvel Superheroes, for about a year and a quarter

There are others I've played in, but only one of those was (Dungeon) Fantasy, and it's... well, it's been a once-a-month game for two months, so...
But (Dungeon) Fantasy isn't what most people think when they hear the term "Fantasy" that that is what springs to mind when GURPS Magic is on the table. You could use it in a Marvel Superheroes campaign but other then Doctor Strange there just aren't that mean well known magic users in the Marvel Universe so it wouldn't get much use there.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #102
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
You pick the book(s) that overlap with the settings you're interested in. I imagine a Bestiary line to be the same: Fantasy Bestiary, Mundane Bestiary, Alien Bestiary, Mythos Bestiary, Prehistorical Bestiary, Mutant/Post-apoc Bestiary, etc.
Mundane Bestiary is unlikely to be a popular title with the marketing team.... :-)

Would Alien Bestiary cover space opera, hard sci-fi, planetary romance, or all at once together?

This is sounding more and more like an insoluble problem — which is probably why it hasn't been published....
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #103
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Mundane Bestiary is unlikely to be a popular title with the marketing team.... :-)
Yeah, I think that one would just be called GURPS Bestiary, and be book one in the Bestiary series, same as Spaceships 1 is just called GURPS Spaceships, the first book in the Thaumatology series is just called GURPS Thaumatology, and so on.

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 7/03/2019: Austrian Navy (Österreichische Bundesmarine) military article has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #104
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
To be fair, he's not the only one.
Sure, I was mostly making a joke, though I can't imagine "barely running fantasy" with GURPS, unless we're talking a very narrow definition of fantasy. I primarily run fantasy with GURPS, mostly Sword & Sorcery or Dark Fantasy stuff, and barely ever any Dungeon Fantasy.

I did recently get the DFRPG to see if I could somehow bring myself to use that, but I figured I was just wasting time & money, but it's the only 4E print support, so...
Anyhow, trying to read through the DFRPG is giving me a bad case of PTSD, dredging up memories of horrible sandbox campaigns and Forgotten Realms games I played back in the 90's - *shudders* - it's giving me nightmares, and I'm very, very, scared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
GURPS Vehicles is really just a science fiction bestiary!
Well played, sir, well played.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #105
lordabdul

Quote:
And that's why I'm not working in marketing :D

Quote:
Would Alien Bestiary cover space opera, hard sci-fi, planetary romance, or all at once together?
I imagine it would be a "buffet"-style book of sci-fi aliens/monsters/animals/plants/whatever that you can use as a base for whatever sci-fi game you're running. Of course you would modify it, the same way you might modify the Fantasy Bestiary templates because frankly, from one med-fan world to the next, the dragons/orcs/trolls/etc. are never truly the same, and sometimes they're completely different. True to GURPS, probably less than half of each book would be actual Bestiary examples with stats, with the other half being guidelines for figuring out those stats for custom worlds.

Quote:
This is sounding more and more like an insoluble problem — which is probably why it hasn't been published....
I don't think it's insoluble. SJGames has been able to release books or series of books on other similarly varied things like spaceships and post-apocalyptic worlds and zombies and different types of magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
Sure, I was mostly making a joke, though I can't imagine "barely running fantasy" with GURPS, unless we're talking a very narrow definition of fantasy.
I mean "fantasy" as in "medieval/dungeon fantasy", i.e. low tech stuff. I've mostly used GURPS for Call of Cthulhu-type horror (from the 1920s to modern day Delta Green campaigns), post-apocalyptic, and sci-fi. The only one of those that had "magic" was the horror campaigns, and even then it was very specific, corrupting, sanity-blasting, unstructured, obscure magic.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote