Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: Spookier zombies ('n such)

Also, it's probably been suggested before, but it's pretty easy to make Tank Zombies. Give a zombie crazy high ST, strap it into full plate armor, and there you go. It may only rarely hit an opponent, but it will be a pain to defeat, and it makes a good guard. Particularly if backed up by some nimble ranged fighters.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 AM   #12
Shoug

I absolutely love these zombies, but what about vampires? I feel like they have been poorly executed in TFT. I prefer vampires which represent potentially vast power and vast evil. What if it was worded something like:

"A vampire gains the ability cast an empowered Drain Strength (it wounds the subject) spell on any creature who is asleep or otherwise defenseless by sucking their blood. Every 10 strength they drain this way rewards the vampire with 30 XP multiplied by the IQ of the dumbest creature drained. They have armor that stops 10 hits against everything but silver and fire, but they may wear actual armor.

Each turn during which a vampire is exposed to sunlight, they take damage equal to the theoretical club damage of a creature with STR=the attribute total of the vampire. They also become Dazzled and ignite like by a Molotov cocktail."

This better captures what I want from vampires. Terrifying forces of evil, lords of the night.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #13
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoug View Post
I absolutely love these zombies, but what about vampires? I feel like they have been poorly executed in TFT. I prefer vampires which represent potentially vast power and vast evil. What if it was worded something like:

"A vampire gains the ability cast an empowered Drain Strength (it wounds the subject) spell on any creature who is asleep or otherwise defenseless by sucking their blood. Every 10 strength they drain this way rewards the vampire with 30 XP multiplied by the IQ of the dumbest creature drained. They have armor that stops 10 hits against everything but silver and fire, but they may wear actual armor.

Each turn during which a vampire is exposed to sunlight, they take damage equal to the theoretical club damage of a creature with STR=the attribute total of the vampire. They also become Dazzled and ignite like by a Molotov cocktail."

This better captures what I want from vampires. Terrifying forces of evil, lords of the night.
For a different take on Vampires, or Vampyres, if you wish, check out Interplay Magazine #3 if you can.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I put Feral Zombies in my unlife book, and they function pretty much like Romero zombies. Basically they are regular TFT zombies which have no one controlling them, and in order to stave off the daily ST loss they seek out flesh to consume. If they can feed on the living, then no decay for that day. This has the side effect of making a zombie army cheaper for an evil necromancer to maintain - you just have to keep them fed.

Feral Zombies also have a contagion aspect. Any bite from one has a 50% chance of passing along the contagion, and when someone infected dies, they rise as a Feral Zombie as well. Also a useful aspect for the aforementioned evil necromancer.
I like it.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Shadekeep

I put "proper" vampires in my unlife book as Nosferatu. They are actual undead, as opposed to infected living people, though both can coexist on Cidri. They have the most subtypes of any in my book (four kinds of nosferatu).
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote