Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
orklord

Default fit, very fit, and the use of Chi

The book says that you can not use fit or very fit with magic or psionics
IE:anything to with a -10% modifier listed as magic or psionics.

Now my question is, what about -10% Chi or -10% biological?
Is it fair to let Chi and biological use fit and very fit?

And Magic has a way to get back to fatigue. Even if you only buy that spell to recover fatigue, but not psionics. what if you are using an advantage based magic system? Are you forced to buy regeneration. Just recover fatigue faster, and then technically you're covering it superfast at one per second, that's faster than I really want.

Couldn't I just put a + 20% modifier on fit and maybe a + 50% modifier on very fit [Or a +50% and a + 100%] to make them useful for Chi, biological, psionics and Magic?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
JoelSammallahti

Default Re: fit, very fit, and the use of Chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orklord
Couldn't I just put a + 20% modifier on fit and maybe a + 50% modifier on very fit [Or a +50% and a + 100%] to make them useful for Chi, biological, psionics and Magic?
A +50% modifier (like Cosmic) seems reasonable to me, since you're bypassing a limitation of the underlying advantage.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
David Johnston

Sure it's fair to let fit apply to biological and chi but not magic or psionic. Of course there's nothing to say that you couldn't have a "mentally focussed" advantage that applies to magic and psionic but not to physical exertion.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Der Wanderer

Regeneration (1FP/ 5 min; Fatigue Only -0%; Only every 5 min (= 20% of the time) -30%*; Only While Resting -20%) [25]
*Calculated from the Accessibility Limitation Table Powers pg99...

Considering the above I think +50% should be good enough to allow Very Fit to work on the recovery of FP lost due to Magic/Psi/Chi etc...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
orklord

Thanks guys that just what im looking for.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti
A +50% modifier (like Cosmic) seems reasonable to me, since you're bypassing a limitation of the underlying advantage.
Or you switch it around:
Fit (Only regain FP lost to Magic/Psi +0%)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
Regeneration (1FP/ 5 min; Fatigue Only -0%; Only every 5 min (= 20% of the time) -30%*; Only While Resting -20%) [25]
*Calculated from the Accessibility Limitation Table Powers pg99...

Considering the above I think +50% should be good enough to allow Very Fit to work on the recovery of FP lost due to Magic/Psi/Chi etc...
This seems horribly expensive compared to the Recover ST spell.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Xplo

Presumably, Fit and Very Fit weren't intended to be used with powers for the same reason they weren't intended to be used with magic and psi; in other words, they effectively have the "only for mundane physical effort" limitation. I might be wrong about that, though.

That said, I might allow them to work with powers from certain sources (chi and biological being good candidates), if I determined that doing so wouldn't facilitate significant abuse, or make those powers unbalanced against any other powers in the campaign. If I did, I wouldn't charge extra for it, since it would be a campaign-wide thing; more PCs would end up being Fit and Very Fit to take advantage of the benefits, but that would seem to be appropriate for a campaign about people with chi and/or biological powers. I'm imagining genetically engineered bird men and Shaolin monks and such, and those guys all look pretty athletic to me.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
orklord

not really, you have to remember that you're going to have to invest in magery even if it's just the 5 point one, then you have to invest in skill.

And remember there is no equal to fatigue recovery for psionics. The regeneration idea is good, if you put the 50% modifier on the very fit advantage it comes out to 23 points. But in seeing it, I think it might be better for a 100% modifier instead. because very fit cuts of the fatigue use in half. I think it will be a 50% modifier on fit, because all it does is let you recover every five minutes. But I think it will be a 100% modifier on very fit, because it allows you to cut your fatigue use in half.

And just for clarification, with the base fit/very fit advantage, does it work for powers with power modifiers in the first place? IE:super, biological, Spirit,and divine.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
not really, you have to remember that you're going to have to invest in magery even if it's just the 5 point one, then you have to invest in skill.
A typical high mage has IQ 13-14 and Magery 3+ (numbers drawn from GMing experience). That means that at IQ13+M3, putting 2 points in the spell gives a skill level of 15. And mages with Magery 3+ are the prime candidates for needing quick recovery (with all those missiles flying from their hands...).

Quote:
And remember there is no equal to fatigue recovery for psionics.
Breath Control, AFAIK.

Quote:
The regeneration idea is good, if you put the 50% modifier on the very fit advantage it comes out to 23 points. But in seeing it, I think it might be better for a 100% modifier instead. because very fit cuts of the fatigue use in half. I think it will be a 50% modifier on fit, because all it does is let you recover every five minutes. But I think it will be a 100% modifier on very fit, because it allows you to cut your fatigue use in half.
But remember that unlike Recover ST/Energy, Very Fit does not further increase recovery speed. Thus I don't see how modifiers should be different depending on level.

Quote:
And just for clarification, with the base fit/very fit advantage, does it work for powers with power modifiers in the first place? IE:super, biological, Spirit,and divine.
Well, Biological powers, if they're realistic (e.g. made with Biotech) are 'mundane' (i.e. non-supernatural, not vulnerable to Static etc.) by definition.