Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-14-2019, 04:19 AM   #1
blacksmith

Default LITRPG inspired Dungeon Fantasy

I am thinking about a new campaign with LITRPG inspirations. So Dungeons are viewed as resources of treasure/loot and managed, with them being a form of genus loci who draws power from the ritual blood sacrifice of having adventurers delving in them.

I see this as having few to no intelligent normal races in a delve with also no need to have a ecology or anything like that. It opens interesting possibilities and other things as well.

Like what would a martial art developed to fight specifically in Dungeons look like?

Has anyone tried this and how did it work for them and what do others think about this as the explanation of dungeons?

There certainly is room for non dungeon adventures as well, new discovered ones, politics around them and so forth but it seems like it could work nicely.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
(E)

Default Re: LITRPG inspired Dungeon Fantasy

I've toyed with ideas relating to it,

Rescuing an oppressed dungeon from a cruel master.

A thieves guild having a training dungeon.

An "ancient dungeon" a very high level dungeon where even a single rat can be a challenge.

Dungeon rules, for example the delvers are unable to rest anywhere but designated rest areas.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:57 AM   #3
blacksmith

Thinking on this more I see combat styles adapted specifically for close quarters fighting against monsters. So Bows seem really impractical, you have issues with many targets with impaling damage and the range vs thrown weapons just isn't that big a deal. The big benefit is lighter ammo as I see it though reusing throwing weapons muddies that a bit. And of course an opening volley of crossbow fire is also a good option.

Any other adaptations to people specifically trained to fight in dungeons people can think of?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
I am thinking about a new campaign with LITRPG inspirations. So Dungeons are viewed as resources of treasure/loot and managed, with them being a form of genus loci who draws power from the ritual blood sacrifice of having adventurers delving in them.
I actually have a DF game I am creating with something similar in mind. The world is a Labyrinth of dungeons, with very few safe places for people to rest. There are several sanctuaries that people start at.

Quote:
I see this as having few to no intelligent normal races in a delve with also no need to have a ecology or anything like that. It opens interesting possibilities and other things as well.
I think the same way. Every intelligent race come from a sanctuary, none are found in dungeons.

Quote:
Like what would a martial art developed to fight specifically in Dungeons look like?
There would be tactics and strategies for dealing with certain creatures and environments, but i don't think there would be anything like actual martial arts for dungeons. Don't get me wrong, there would be Martial Arts, it would just be used more likely against other intelligent beings.

Quote:
Has anyone tried this and how did it work for them and what do others think about this as the explanation of dungeons?
This approach is very good in my opinion for GMs to create a quick world, no need for a lot of details. In fact, making the PCs learn about the world is great story telling and lets them help flesh it out!

Quote:
There certainly is room for non dungeon adventures as well, new discovered ones, politics around them and so forth but it seems like it could work nicely.
It does! Why do the dungeons exist? Where did they come from? what do the powers in charge know about them? All great gaming points.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote