Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Rhino

Default Fast Draw (Axe)

Does anyone allow this? Not included in the list of specialties, but if you can fast draw a scroll or potion, perhaps it should be.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
martinl

Default Re: Fast Draw (Axe)

We allow fast draw for basically anything that can be readied in one turn, and Kromm hasn't kicked down the door and cursed us.

You could assuage your guilt by requiring a special harness etc.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Dalin

I would definitely allow that.

There is support for this in the larger GURPS canon, too. The GURPS Basic Set explicitly allows GMs to add other variations: "The GM may add Fast-Draw skills for other weapons (or even tools) that one could reasonably draw quickly" (B195).

For DFRPG, I would rewrite this to say, "The GM should add Fast-Draw skills for other weapons that it would be fun to draw quickly." With Dungeon Fantasy, I definitely don't get hung up on things being "reasonable." I figure that if a Barbarian needs something quickly, they'll figure out how to manage it.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
Gnomasz

I usually do allow this (and ask my GM for this, as a player), but I do sometimes have doubts, because a fine, balanced dwarven axe is a bargain compared to a fine, balanced broadsword. And that's even before I start to consider if an axe counts as a metal weapon and could be meteoric silver-coated. The possibility of being fast-drawn could give swords… an edge.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Anders

Shadiversity made a video about an axe attachment that made it easy to fast-draw the axe. I would definitely allow a special harness for this purpose.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
Balor Patch

I don't like it simply for balance reasons.

<cynical><oversimplified>
An axe costs $900 and gives reach 1, +1 to hit, and either 2d6+6 or 3d6+8 cutting (because DF knights).

A sword costs $650, reach 2, +0 to hit, two less damage, but can be fast-drawn. It can also do 1d+3 or 1d+5 impale, for what that's worth.

That extra reach is nice but it's giving up a lot, and letting the axe be fast-drawn makes it worse.
</oversimplified></cynical>
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:17 AM   #7
ArchonShiva

If you want to do this but are worried about balance, you could mitigate by giving the axe (e.g.) -4 to Fast-Draw.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
I don't like it simply for balance reasons.

<cynical><oversimplified>
An axe costs $900 and gives reach 1, +1 to hit, and either 2d6+6 or 3d6+8 cutting (because DF knights).

A sword costs $650, reach 2, +0 to hit, two less damage, but can be fast-drawn. It can also do 1d+3 or 1d+5 impale, for what that's worth.

That extra reach is nice but it's giving up a lot, and letting the axe be fast-drawn makes it worse.
</oversimplified></cynical>
Big bonus for impale is the hit locations it opens up, but you can get a spike for an axe too.

The big bonus for the sword is it "goes higher." If you are not limited by money, get a sword. If you are, get an axe or whatever. I like that.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

In a genre where people mix TL1-4 with abandon, have skin tough enough to stop weapons, are half-cat or half-ogre, and explode heads with magic, I don't see the world screeching to a halt if the GM permits Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace)!

Someone with more time and investment can find it for me, but somewhere on these forums I mentioned a breakaway rig that would seem to allow this skill. Provided that the delver were paying something in the ballpark of $10 per axe to carry axes that way, I'd allow Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace). This is similar to how Fast-Draw (Potion) requires delver's webbing or a potion belt ($7.50-15/potion), and how and Fast-Draw (Scroll) requires delver's webbing or a scroll belt ($6/scroll). Weight would be at most 0.5 lb. per axe, and I'd be fine with 0.25 lb. per axe.

So for a quick hack:
Quick-Draw Axe Rig. Belt with four "breakaway" pouches that can carry any one-handed Axe/Mace weapon. The business end goes in the pouch while the handle protrudes, enabling Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace) skill. $45, 1.5 lb.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
Polkageist

Fast drawing is cool, so you should be able to fast draw anything.

Store a thing fast-drawishly, roll fast-draw (thing), get thing fast.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote