Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #71
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: FnordCon Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'm letting the dev team know so they can find and replace it, if so. But that would be a damn weird misprint.
It would be effectively impossible, since everything was created from the same files and printed together. It is possible the text was too small for someone to read.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #72
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I looked under mine -- there were no markings of any kind. I'm starting to wonder if I got a misprinted board.
Hey 43Supporter:

Very strange. Unfortunately, you played a different game than most of us.

I remember seeing you playing at one point at the front left table (if you are facing the stage). I never came over to check your board (I hadn't even learned the game at that point).

Now I'm a bit curious if you played more than one game with different boards.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 AM   #73
schoon

Thanks for the 1:64 replies, Folks.

I only ask because there's something viscerally cool about a nice big demo game for Cons where the whole thing is BIG.

And I certainly intend to run this at Cons myself when the time comes.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #74
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Sam sent me a pic of all the dashboards used at the convention, plus a closeup of one so you can see what we're talking about. Every one of them has control markers visible. 43, I'm sorry, but you're just wrong about the board you played.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dashboards.jpg (102.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (95.9 KB, 81 views)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #75
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
One quick correction: Take X control markers + any provided by cards, where X is the number of Control icons currently showing on the dashboard (because assuming yours was a misprint, they would have gotten covered up as the sliders move...speed 3 and speed 4 each cover up one, as do Tires 6, 4, 2, and 0).

Did you happen to get a picture? I'd love to be able to compare/contrast against the board I was playing off of.
Actually it was speeds 4 and 5 that each covered one up. And that was a big part of the reason that I spent a couple of the build-your-own games alternating between speeds 3 and 5 (courtesy of a couple of pieces of equipment). As you received the control markers at the start of turn, prior to adjusting speed, it let me run with the maximum number of tokens when I moved my car at speed 5 and 2 fewer when I was running at speed 3.

This seemed to give the maximum return on defense for the lowest risk. Especially since the equipment also gave an ace token each. Ask the player whose 7 point heavy rockets hit got shrugged off how effective it was. :)

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #76
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
Thanks for the 1:64 replies, Folks.

I only ask because there's something viscerally cool about a nice big demo game for Cons where the whole thing is BIG.

And I certainly intend to run this at Cons myself when the time comes.
One of us! One of us! Don't let my lack of being crazy enough to do it discourage you from being crazy enough to do it. Will be looking forward to pictures of your completed rig. :D

1:64 Car Wars looks amazing, no matter what edition it is...and with the new movement rules is probably way more viable without needing a simply absurd amount of table space. The mats we played on at Fnordcon were 36x36...which at 1:64 would be 54x54. That's "slap a pair of 30x72 tables together, and have almost enough room for players to sit on the corners yet too" territory.

For comparison's sake, my Tilkendröm is 48x48 at 1:87 [making it 72x72 at 1:64] and it is...intimate...with CWC movement rules because they're covering so much more distance / making so many more maneuvers from turn start to turn start.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #77
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Sam sent me a pic of all the dashboards used at the convention, plus a closeup of one so you can see what we're talking about. Every one of them has control markers visible.
OK -- I'm looking at those pics, and seeing a *whole lot* of markings which *weren't* visible with the sliding bits in place. Those "Speed" markings on the Tire gauge? Not visible.

And, as noted earlier: The instructions we were given were "5 Control markers to start with" -- nothing was said about reductions for Speed, or anything else; and no rules manuals were provided for us to look stuff up for ourselves.

I didn't have a camera with me, as I wasn't sure what the rules were for taking photos.

(Oh well -- at this point, it really doesn't matter to me.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #78
HeatDeath

I ran into those speed reduction markers in my second game real hard. Everyone at my first table finished the first game with no tire damage (other than from incoming fire) so I went into my second game thinking, a la Formula De, "If you still have tire points at the end if the game you weren't turning hard enough!"

So I used them :)
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #79
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
One of us! One of us! Don't let my lack of being crazy enough to do it discourage you from being crazy enough to do it. Will be looking forward to pictures of your completed rig. :D
Sadly, I am both crazy enough and willful enough to probably give this a go.

I really like big demo games.

However, I'll have to see once I've gotten some games under my belt.

...and an I the only one who thinks this dashboards are really cool!?
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #80
Dolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
...and an I the only one who thinks this dashboards are really cool!?
No...you are not. They look good, but even better than that is how functional they are. I was able to play games of car wars without having to hunt for my pencil to tick off damage or modify stats.
Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote