Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Tobendspucke

Default Munchkin impossible Question not found on FAQ

In this recent game of Munchkin impossible, I kicked opened the door, and encountered a monster at a higher level than I was. I had to run away, and the Bad stuff was that I died. I lost the die roll which meant that I was going to die. after rolling the die, realizing I was going to die, I had in my hand a go up a level card that stated to discard/sacrifice a hireling to go up a level.

I stated that before dying, I sacrifice my Hireling to go up a level. then I put the rest of my items and hand out for the other player to loot my body. The other player said that I couldn't do that because it would be cheating. I informed them that there wasn't anything on the card or in the rules that said I couldn't sacrifice hireling to go up a level after rolling the die to run away. Because had I succeeded in running away, I probably would have kept the hireling, but as a result that I was going to die, I chose to sacrifice the hireling to go up a level. Would that be ok? Thanks.

Last edited by Tobendspucke; 01-23-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Tobendspucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Eben

Default Re: Munchkin impossible Question not found on FAQ

I would think that once you failed to roll, the bad stuff happens immediately. You wouldn't be able to play a card and then die. I think your friends were right.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Munchykin

Once the monster catches you, you're dead, you can't play any more cards at that point.

It's like attempting to run away from the monster and failing (which means he catches you) then right before he strikes the killing blow you yell, "WAIT! Hey hireling, I'm going to kill you for a level before he kills me. Ok, you have my permission to kill me now Mr Scary Monster." Doesn't happen that way.
Munchykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
jerrybeansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchykin View Post
Once the monster catches you, you're dead, you can't play any more cards at that point.

It's like attempting to run away from the monster and failing (which means he catches you) then right before he strikes the killing blow you yell, "WAIT! Hey hireling, I'm going to kill you for a level before he kills me. Ok, you have my permission to kill me now Mr Scary Monster." Doesn't happen that way.
when all else fails, this technique works to settle our Munchkin arguments. We play it out in a real-time scenario and see what makes sense.

I'm going along with this guy and say bad stuff happens right away.
jerrybeansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Munchykin

It's also in the rules:

If you are fleeing from multiple
monsters, you roll separately to escape
each one, in any order you choose, and
suffer Bad Stuff from each one that
catches you as soon as it catches you.

So you suffer the bad stuff right away, with no chance to play other cards first. If there's a chance you might die, better make sure you play all the cards you want to play before you roll the dice or take the chance on losing them.
Munchykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
StaticHamster

Your Go Up A Level (GUAL) can be played at any time and you will find that in many places in the rules and on this board but you will also find that there are very few cards in Munchkin that interrupt other cards and this GUAL is not one of them.

So, as everyone is saying, you must resolve the Bad Stuff first before being able to play any more cards. Your friend was correct, using that GAUL after failing to run away, dieing and before resolving your death is cheating. You could have however used it at any time before attempting to run away.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
thedag

yep rolling the die to attempt to run away unsuccesfully and bad stuff happening are the same thing. Seen as events must be resolved in order they happen bad stuff happens before you can do anything. FAQ also tells us that curses which can be played at any time can not actually be played between the die roll and bad stuff happening. The curse must be played before the die roll or after the bad stuff. So logically you would not be able to play other stuff between the die roll and bad stuff. The exceptions are clearly stated like in loaded dice where it states after a die roll you may change the die to any number you like. The card you mention does not specifically state you can play it during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. Exactly when do you die, and how long do you stay dead?
A. You die when you get Bad Stuff that says you're dead. (A very few other cards can cause death as well.) If you were fleeing from other monsters, you are excused from their Bad Stuff, because you're dead. While you are dead, you cannot receive cards for any reason, and you cannot level up or win the game. You STAY dead only until the next person's turn starts. Your new character appears at that point and may join normally in the combat, though you will get no new cards until someone gives you charity, you get cards as payment for helping in a combat, or your next turn starts. Fortunately, death is temporary . . .
So along with what munchykin said about bad stuff happens straight away this question then tells you that you can not play cards that make you go up a level.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Death is immediate; you cannot play cards to prevent your opponents from getting them.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, gual