Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Nameless

Default Dropping and Searching

It seems like, according to the rules, if you are forced to drop something in a room where search is prohibited, it is lost forever (albeit with a few rare exceptions where items can be grabbed from other rooms). Is this correct?

A game scenario: Fighting the boss. You take enough hits to die. You drop *all* of your gear. The entrance is not a searchable room, so you simply can not pick any of that stuff up?
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Progmode

Default Re: Dropping and Searching

No. The rules also give the option of spending one move to pick up anything in the room without performing a search.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Nameless

I looked for a rule about that last night but couldn't find it. Can you point me to the spot in the manual that refers to such an action?
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Progmode

Sure, it starts on page 16, bottom of the right-hand column and continues on page 17 (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking up Items
When you are in a room with dropped Items (see p. 7) you may spend a Move to pick up any of those items. Also, when you Search a room that contains dropped Items, you automatically get any of those Items you want, as well as the results of your Search roll.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Cheddar Limbo

Argh! I mis-read this one too. Add this to the growing list of Things I'm Doing Wrong...

I thought that rooms like the Mud Room that didn't allow for searching were inherently more dangerous because if you dropped your stuff it was gone forever.

Good to know!
Cheddar Limbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar Limbo
Argh! I mis-read this one too. Add this to the growing list of Things I'm Doing Wrong...

I thought that rooms like the Mud Room that didn't allow for searching were inherently more dangerous because if you dropped your stuff it was gone forever.

Good to know!
That does seem appropriate for places like the Mud Room, but as-written, the items are still able to be picked up, you just can't make Search rolls.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
That does seem appropriate for places like the Mud Room, but as-written, the items are still able to be picked up, you just can't make Search rolls.
Contrast the Mud Room with the Dark Room.

The Dark Room explicitly states, "Items dropped here are lost permanently." The Mud Room, and others, do not. So you can still pick up from those places, even though you cannot search. The Dark Room doesn't let you pick up at all, even if you -can- search (which requires a Flaming item or something).