Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Marcus Evenstar

Location: Comfy Chair, Seattle Metroplex, NW US, NorthAm, Sol-3, Sector 2814
Default What's the Deal?

I was doing MQ demos at ConQuest and I got a question about Deals that went around and round causing much head-ache & annoyance. (Turns out that one player is well-known for being a jerk and, besides, no-one had the money to test the option) I had to use my MIB powers to declare settlement and promised to ask this forum for clarification.

The argument focused on the Deals found in Ye Olde Donjon Shoppe and the Chamber Of Commerce which state you may buy/ sell up to three face-down Treasure/ DxM cards for 500 gold each. I felt that it meant that the Deal you could make once per turn was to spend a Move getting up to three cards for a ridiculous price but only once per turn. The other side was contending that it you would need to make three separate Deals, each costing a Move. As I was getting a head-ache from the cross-talk, I went with the former ruling. We did agree that buying & selling cards in the same rooms were separate Deals.

The Wishing Well, Guild Hall, and Level-O-Mat strike me as Deals that involve a single Move and can be legally repeated on a turn. The Gym seems to permit any number of Levels can gained with a single Deal. Hoever, in my understanding of grammar, when it says buy/ sell "up to three" cards in Deal, that means spending a Move allows the player to buy/ sell one, two or three card in that action.

Can I get some informed opinions, please?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: What's the Deal?

For Chamber of Commerce, one deal involves selling up to 3 DxM cards or buying up to 3 DxM cards. Ye Olde Donjon Shoppe allows purchasing up to 3 Treasure cards or sell 3 Items, one deal.

However, I do not believe that Chamber of Commerce sets a limit to performing its deal once per turn, while Ye Olde Donjon Shoppe definitely does. Someone else will have to say if such a limit was intended.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-21-2009 at 05:09 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
mib2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Evenstar
when it says buy/ sell "up to three" cards in Deal, that means spending a Move allows the player to buy/ sell one, two or three card in that action.
That's what I read it to mean as well.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Marcus Evenstar

Location: Comfy Chair, Seattle Metroplex, NW US, NorthAm, Sol-3, Sector 2814

Well, that settles that blasted "up to three" argument. Buying and selling are distinct actions, each requiring a Move. Lastly, unless the room says otherwise, you can Deal until you run out of Move.

Thanks!