Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
elpelepele

Default Library/laboratory room

The question I have for these tiles comes from the wording of the last sentence of each room

"You may only buy Scrolls/Potions that are in the discard pile when you enter the room.

What happens if you start your turn in the room? Can you still make a deal or can you only make a deal as you enter the room? If you can make the deal, what scrolls/potions can you purchace? (Timing) Ones that were in the discard when you started your turn, or only ones that were in the pile when you entered the room.
elpelepele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Library/laboratory room

I think you are interpretating it wrong. I'd say that the potion and scrolls have to be in the discard pile when you enter the room. This means that if you fight while in the room, and use scrolls or potions from your hand, you cannot get them back, unless you leave the room and come in again.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
rek075

Agreed. The original intention was probably to prevent use of potions and re-purchase of them right away.
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Well, right after combat was over with the munchkin winning, since one can't make deals when a Monster is present.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
elpelepele

This was much later in the game. The room had been opened up early in the game and the munchkin moved into the room at the very end of the game with his last move token. He couldn't make the deal during that turn so when he started his next turn he tried to buy a scroll. There was much loud arguing but at the end, the owner of the game made a rulling that he could not make a deal because he had not entered the room. That what my question was about. I know that the intention of the rule on the tile was worded so that you can't buy back scrolls/potions that you used in combat when you kick down the door.

How do you read "when you enter the room" when you start there?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Houston MIB

In my opinion, the wording is pretty clear. "When you enter the room" means exactly what it says. If you start your turn in the room, you're already there. Therefore, effects triggered by entering a room would not trigger if one were already present in said room at the start of one's turn.
"A proud Steve Jackson Games volunteer"

Last edited by Houston MIB; 12-31-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Houston MIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
worms919

Actually I think Bone got it right. "when you enter the room" is NOT a condition of when you can make the deal, but of what potions you are allowed to buy. Perhaps a more accurate wording could be: "You may only buy Scrolls/Potions that were in the discard pile when you entered the room.
worms919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Houston MIB

Oops! I was a little unclear about my answer, I was referring specifically to the phrase "When you enter the room" in regards to the availability of potions or scrolls when one chooses to make a deal after entering the room. As far as actually making a deal, that could have been the start of one's turn if one so chose.
"A proud Steve Jackson Games volunteer"
Houston MIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
elpelepele

So would you all agree that "when you enter the room" as a qualification of which potions/scrolls you can choose from when you make the deal can basically be replaced with "at the start of your turn" when you start in this type of room.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
bonetm

No. You can Trade the potions and scrolls at any time during in your own turn. The expression "when you enter the room" refer to the potions/scrolls that can be bought.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote