Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #31
Greg 1

Default Re: How would you promote GURPS to RPG newbies?

GURPS lets you play the character you want in the universe you want, which operates by the rules you want, with the rules defaulting to reality. The basic system is simple and there is tons of optional detail if you want it.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #32
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
GURPS lets you play the character you want in the universe you want, which operates by the rules you want, with the rules defaulting to reality. The basic system is simple and there is tons of optional detail if you want it.
That's maybe a little too simple. "The character you want" is an appeal for the players; but "the universe you want," "the rules you want," and probably "optional detail if you want it" are appeals for the GM. The same person wouldn't benefit from all of these.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:01 AM   #33
Taneli

"Unlike DnD, GURPS is not limited to semi-medieval dungeon fantasy."
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #34
Isikyus

For players completely new to RPGs, I agree about selling the game, not the system.

Helping with character creation is also important: while GURPS doesn't have "trap options" per se, the sheer number of skills makes it easy for new players to miss something essential to their concept.
Kromm's list of skills helps here, and I expect wildcard skills and templates would too.

For players coming from D&D, GURPS gives you both a better range of settings and more genres within them. Pathfinder etc. tend to break down once a game stops being about combat, but GURPS has well-designed mechanics for things like politics or inventing. (Grittier defalt combat also gives PCs a reason to avoid it!)
Isikyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #35
Gumby Bush

I've been running GURPS for RPG relative-newbies to an experienced D&D player/DM recently. Mostly I just said: I'll GM, here's the system, I'll help you out with mechanics.

I think the biggest selling point for them has been the degree to which, between setting and system, it allows me to say "yes" more easily than, say, D&D. It's a fantasy game: the PCs include a moth person and an uplifted rat (like, literal, 5" rat) wizard. Maybe I could say yes with D&D, but it would be more work than taking 15 minutes to stat up a moth person.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #36
David Johansen

Pitch the setting, not the system and use very cut down character creation or pregens. One way to go is use GURPS Lite and hand out 20 points to customize a 130 point template. But if the players have no rpg experience it's best to use pregens. Also, use a well known setting that appeals to your target audience. I find Harry Potter easier to sell than marsupials of ancient Rome for some reason.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #37
Anders

You start them on the easy stuff, like a converted setting. Then, when they're hooked, you spring the Latin marsupials on them.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #38
SolemnGolem

Agreed on the "interactive storytelling" approach. My wife had played card games and board games, but never an RPG before. She wanted to play as a heroic squirrel saving her forest from various threats.

I handled the GURPS mechanics, and the game is mostly social interaction, with a bit of puzzle solving. Every so often, dice come up and it's just a simple 3D6 vs. the skill with a few modifiers.

It's quick, it's clean, and it lets us focus on the story and characters and funny little voices as she likes.

For RPG veterans, I've found that they're also happy to play GURPS if the GM is willing to do the heavy lifting on character generation and progression. I've had a player ask "can my PC discover she's a {whatever hybrid here}?" or "I'd like to try out spellcasting for my centurion, can we do that?"

For players who like to explore other options, I'll share rulebooks and supplement books and ask them what they're interested in. One player was mostly a combat swordsman, so he took the Martial Arts book and worked a few pre-arranged combat maneuvers (with modifiers prepped) using Extra Effort rules and so forth.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #39
AlexanderHowl

As long as the GM is willing to do the heavy lifting, GURPS can actually be one of the simplest systems for new players (roll 3d6 against z, which is x +/- y, and you succeed if you do not exceed z).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #40
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
As long as the GM is willing to do the heavy lifting, GURPS can actually be one of the simplest systems for new players (roll 3d6 against z, which is x +/- y, and you succeed if you do not exceed z).
Yes. My mantra to new players at gaming conventions is: "If you can roll three six-sided dice, you can play GURPS."
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote