Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Cheese8242

Default Re: Multiple Munchkins vs The Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Evenstar
MIB 2932 wrote:

The card does indeed say you get one level for each monster you help defeat. The goldfish is not fearsome, and if there were a total of 4 monsters in the combat, the elf would gain 4 levels.

Well... the card does say "go up a level for every monster you help someone else kill." However, as noted by Progmode, there is a very specific MQ rule on helpers and leveling up that disallows your scenario.

IMHO, if an Elf could get all those levels, it would change the nature of the game and make it less fun at the same time. Since the MQ rules trump the description on the Elf card, I'd say the card might need some editing for the 2nd edition.

Actually, the part of the rules that Progmode quoted is dealing with "Fearsome" monsters. Fearsome monsters give two levels, and from the rules if you have a helper in a combat with a fearsome monster, then you get a level and the helper gets one. The part of the rules that Progmode quoted just says that if your helper is an elf they don't get two levels (one coming from the fearsome part of the monster and the other from their ability), they just get the one from the fearsome part of the monster and nothing from their ability.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
mib2932

Quote:
Since the MQ rules trump the description on the Elf card, I'd say the card might need some editing for the 2nd edition.
Page 1 of the Munchkin Quest rules:

Quote:
This rulebook gives the general rules. Cards and rooms add special rules, so when the rulebook disagrees with a card or room, follow the card or room. If a card disagrees with a room, follow the card.
Cards trump rules, not the other way around.

Last edited by mib2932; 01-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
MunchkinMan

Quote:
IMHO, if an Elf could get all those levels, it would change the nature of the game and make it less fun at the same time. Since the MQ rules trump the description on the Elf card, I'd say the card might need some editing for the 2nd edition.
You have played Munchkin before, right? Perhaps you should take a look at the Elf card from the card game, while you're at it. The Elf in the card game also gets a Level for every Monster the card game Elf helps kill. So, the Elf's behavior DOES NOT change the game in any way, shape, or form as recognizable by your regular Munchkin player.

Anyway: Cards always trump the rules unless a rule expressly explains or describes behavior concerning a specific card. That's a gaming meta-rule, in general, but one that is specifically called out in Munchkin and Munchkin Quest.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Marcus Evenstar

Location: Comfy Chair, Seattle Metroplex, NW US, NorthAm, Sol-3, Sector 2814

Okay, it looks like I've been missing something all these years. Maybe it's because we rarely let the Elf help in any fight so it hasn't been been as apparent as it should have been. I shall remember the SJG mantra: " Cards always trump the rules."

And I shall be even less likely to ask for Elf help in the future.