Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
DataPacRat

Default Re: Building a "Telepathic" AI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There is no strong reason to do this as anything more than very high skill levels in psychology and influence skills; if it's not assumed to be using superscience, it's not doing anything that the skill (as available in that setting and TL) can't do.
What's available to these AIs isn't necessarily available to anyone else, so I don't feel bound to keep both groups on the same scale, for those tricks the AIs have to themselves.

Fluff-wise, almost every AI has a completely unique architecture, meaning that each one is going to count as a different 'species' in terms of what affects them mentally. I anticipate all sorts of AI-vs-AI conflict in the background, only some of which spills over enough to be noticeable by near-baseline humanity. I'm probably not going to try to model their Red Queen races (working as hard as possible just to maintain parity) with GURPS; it mostly feels more like plot-device parts of the narrative than anything I need to worry about humans interacting with. ... Though maybe I should try digging up that old GURPS Cthulhu book, just to see if there's anything relevant about eldritch inhuman entities with incomprehensible powers that treat humans as near-forgotten disposable pawns.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
DataPacRat

I'm considering bringing in computer/program Complexity rules here, by letting these AIs shove these advantages into "skill set" computer programs, ala Transhuman Space; in the 4e adaptation, the base rate is C3 for up to 2 CP, C4 for 3-4, C5 for 5-8, and so on to C9 for 65-128. Of course, the AIs involved would need a better Modular Ability than comes standard with THS AIs (30 CP for 3 slots of 2 CP each, only for skills and languages, and with -3 to the slot's rolls in sudden emergencies or combat). So a 42-CP version of Intuition would be a C8 program, while a much less-effective 27-CP version would only be C7.

This gives me an easy handle on letting the AIs bargain with each other, exchanging particularly useful sub-programs in exchange for resources, or the like. (Other than one AI simply eating another AI whole, absorbing all their knowledge, and possible reprogramming them and letting them loose; which still remains an option.) And also gives me an excuse for why an AI might not have the best-possible version, if whoever they traded for it only released a crippleware version. (And gives me another reason to come up with the most Limitation-laden versions of the Advantages that I can think of, to lower the Complexity needed when running lots of them at once, or for AIs with relatively small Modular slots.) And gives me a way to guesstimate how long any given program takes to write, with the New Invention rules on pB473-4.

Anyone see a problem with the basic mechanics of this?

Are there any supplements with additions or alternatives to GURPS' basic software-writing rules?
Old 11-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
DataPacRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
Are there any supplements with additions or alternatives to GURPS' basic software-writing rules?
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the cost of the facilities for a computer program invention are being spent on? ($50k for a software of C1 to C3, up to $500k for C8+)

And does anyone have any thoughts on how a critical failure during the Prototype stage would lead to 2d damage to the programmer, and having to pay the Facilities cost again?

(The best I've got so far is spending excessive amounts of cash on the local TL's version of Amazon Web Services for neural-net training; and/or a death-march overtime crash-project leading to excessive fatigue, which either leads to medical issues, or tired individuals physically tripping over themselves, bumping into walls, accidentally triggering halon systems, failing to cook the chicken in their lunch, or the like. ... I'm having a bit more trouble figuring out the equivalent when the programmers are AIs, though.)
Old 11-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the cost of the facilities for a computer program invention are being spent on?
Usually, computers (and related hardware, such as networking).
Quote:
And does anyone have any thoughts on how a critical failure during the Prototype stage would lead to 2d damage to the programmer, and having to pay the Facilities cost again?
Unless the software is controlling a robot or something similar, ignore it.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Usually, computers (and related hardware, such as networking).
Possibly buying licenses for software libraries and middleware.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote