Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
Broadway Phil

Default Ogre 3rd Edition counters

Okay, while everyone continues to gush over the big hexes and 3-D counters, etc., I'm an old fogey (if the words "Wargames West catalog" mean anything to you... I wrote most of them up to 1990) and like a more manageable size of things. That's not a criticism, just a preference.

Anyway, I'm working on a spreadsheet (with explanatory notes) of all the various editions of Ogre, GEV, etc. that contain "classic" counters, from the not-necessarily-so-good old Metagaming days (I have a 1st edition Ogre in my collection) all the way up to the Classic Counters set that came in the Designer's Edition.

I have a number of questions about some of the products I don't have, but I am going to limit the discussion here to a single topic to weed out extraneous information and suggestions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this case it is the 3rd edition of Ogre, published in 1982. It was the first edition published by Steve Jackson Games. I do not have this edition, nor have I been able to find a picture of the counters. Timothy Swenson's history of Ogre does not provide any information at all about this counter sheet except that it is double-sided.

So: how many counters (112?), how many of each type in each color, and what exactly is on the back of the counters? This last is particularly important for Ogres, CPs and infantry. Do the CPs have names?

A low-res scan of both sides of the counter sheet would be most helpful if available; it need only be readable; I am not interested in making copies of these counters. However, I would be surprised if there are any intact counter sheets out there after 35 years!

A related question is the Hobby Japan edition. My best guess is that it is a licensed version of the 3rd edition, and that the principal difference (other than the translation into Japanese) is that green ink was used instead of black on the counters. Any information confirming this, or to the contrary, would be appreciated.

Please limit the discussion to the 3rd edition (and/or if applicable, the Hobby Japan edition). Thanks!

Phil

Last edited by Broadway Phil; 01-24-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Broadway Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
jfleisher

Default Re: Ogre 3rd Edition counters

I’ll have to check on my third edition, but as far as the Hobby Japan version, I posted this on my blog a while back...

http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com/2...nese-ogre.html

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Broadway Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
I’ll have to check on my third edition, but as far as the Hobby Japan version, I posted this on my blog a while back...
Thank you! The one photo showing part of the counter sheet indicates that it is a licensed version of the 3rd edition, as there are 112 counters, likely backprinted. They also are not green. Swenson's history has a picture of a set with green counters, so maybe green is a variant? (Or the owner had the counters copied in green ink at his local copy center.)

I also observe that the one visible CP counter is not named.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Unfortunately, unpunched is the issue.

I can't reliably verify the counter totals because of it, but I can verify the CPs are not named.
The back printing is the same as what's on the Classic Counter set: The unit silhouette, with the D value and the word "Disabled". The INF is back printed with the reduced value (eg, 3INF/2INF, etc).

The colors are white on black, black on white, and several (I have 5) Ogres that are black on grey. All the Ogres are MarkV/MarkIII double-sided.

I do have a partially unpunched sheet (the white on black is uncut), but I can't tell how complete the set is.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
ColBosch

Someone on eBay has a unpunched Pocket Box (3rd) edition copy for sale. I'm not about to drop $80 on it, but perhaps they would be willing to provide pictures of the counter sheet.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

there's also a listing on BGG that seems to match what I have.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Broadway Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
there's also a listing on BGG that seems to match what I have.
Ah! Fool that I am, I had downloaded this and forgot I had it. I will go through that now, and perhaps this will take care of all my questions. Will let everyone know once I've looked.

Thanks,

Phil

UPDATE: Bingo! This takes care of my 3rd edition questions, and also tells me what was in the original version of Ogre Reinforcements.

Thanks again,

Phil

Last edited by Broadway Phil; 01-24-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Updated to include search results.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Phil View Post
Ah! Fool that I am, I had downloaded this and forgot I had it. I will go through that now, and perhaps this will take care of all my questions. Will let everyone know once I've looked.

Thanks,

Phil
I reconstructed my sheet and it does, in fact appear to be a "standard" 112 counter sheet that matches that BGG page exactly, right down to the "5 grey Ogres." Through some miracle, it looks like I have not lost any counters, either.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Phil View Post
UPDATE: Bingo! This takes care of my 3rd edition questions, and also tells me what was in the original version of Ogre Reinforcements.
That's my data for the break down of counters for "Reinforcements", it got bought, cut, and bagged in 1987, and pretty much was never touched again.

I suppose it could be off a bit, but I was always very fastidious with my games back then.

Last edited by Mack_JB; 01-25-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
That's my data for the break down of counters for "Reinforcements", it got bought, cut, and bagged in 1987, and pretty much was never touched again.

I suppose it could be off a bit, but I was always very fastidious with my games back then.
I have an uncut set of the '87 Reinforcements, so if we assume that Ogre sheet matches the 3rd Ed Ogre sheet (which it seems to); your numbers are good.