Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #31
jason taylor

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The first one was a recurring character on N.C.I.S. except he was quite a bit over 6 feet. Though all your suggestions lead to massive Mary Sue point bloat, in my opinion.
Well I was mostly trying to simply eliminate the quirks and eccentricities normally associated with a character. In most cop shows for instance the techie is geeky, has eccentric and sometimes disgusting tastes, and so on. Likewise sailors are supposed to be covered with tatoos and drink like pigs at a trough.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Well I was mostly trying to simply eliminate the quirks and eccentricities normally associated with a character. In most cop shows for instance the techie is geeky, has eccentric and sometimes disgusting tastes, and so on. Likewise sailors are supposed to be covered with tatoos and drink like pigs at a trough.
I meant that that was why he was memorable at all. He disagreed with geek stereotypes.

But cop shows do give individuals the skills and time of a dozen people. Or in NICS' Abby's case a hundred people. Making a Grups character like that plus athleticism would break the point bank outside of comic books. That kind of would create bargain basement Batman.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #33
jason taylor

A serial killer who instead of leaving exotic riddles for the police to solve cleans up his crimes like any other murderer.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #34
David Johnston2

A pirate who talks in a lower class London accent.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A pirate who talks in a lower class London accent.
To think that entire stereotype of speech style comes from one man's portrayal in a movie.
It wouldn't have taken much of a change in history for an alternate timeline to have a radically different "pirate accent".
Now I'm giggling over a pirate jumping over the railing to yell, "Hush ya' breeze, bruv! I've here for ya' grimey!"
Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
A serial killer who instead of leaving exotic riddles for the police to solve cleans up his crimes like any other murderer.
Dexter?
Or just one that doesn't take souvenirs, return to the scene of the crime, or try to ingratiate themselves to the investigators.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #37
woodchuck

A Second Lieutenant that can read a map.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #38
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
A Second Lieutenant that can read a map.
A second lieutenant who has served for twenty years paired with a sergeant who has served for six months.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:45 AM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I can't imagine how drill sergeants can be nice during training and remain effective. Off the clock so to speak and super gentle and caring, sure, but not when doing their job.
Jai Mahakali, Ayo Gurkhali.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:47 AM   #40
RogerBW

Quote:
Dexter?
Or just one that doesn't take souvenirs, return to the scene of the crime, or try to ingratiate themselves to the investigators.
This is fine in principle, but it's not the way it tends to line up - all the side behaviour seems to be a necessary part of the pathology.

Of course, there's a sampling bias - studies of serial killers necessarily have as their subjects serial killers who have been caught.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote