Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
giganerds

Default Cunning folk talent question

I'm trying to understand why cunning folk (power up 3, p9 and horror 19) has both animal handling and veterinay on the skill, list. while "village sages" and alike problably wil take care of the local animals, i don't relise why this type of skill has in common with the others on skill list.

Anyone has a tip about it?

regards

GigaNERDs
giganerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Cunning folk talent question

As I don't know the flavor text that goes with the talent I'm only guessing.

One otion the talent represents skills the person has been dealing with sences they were knee-high to a grasshoper that it is second nature to them.

Another is it's the same link as psychology and physiology has under the model of biology dictates mental thought.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
lexington

If you're not a traditional sage or witch why do you have the Cunning Folk Talent?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
giganerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
If you're not a traditional sage or witch why do you have the Cunning Folk Talent?
I think you misinterpreted my post. The character in my mind actually have the talent and are a witch. But that is irrelevant to the post.

The question is, why does the talent have the two cited skills on his set?

I cannot see the point of a talent cover Fortune-Telling, Herb Lore, etc aside Animal Handling and Veterinary.

regards
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganerds View Post
I cannot see the point of a talent cover Fortune-Telling, Herb Lore, etc aside Animal Handling and Veterinary.
It's a talent for understanding the natural world, living things, and "small magic", which are all intimately linked in many folk tales and settings. Discworld witches would probably use a variant with Psychology for example, and it would be just as legit.

But really, it's hardly a secret that GURPS tends to be lenient with talents that don't encourage munchkinry. It's a rare player that's looking to minmax his Veterinarian and Weather Sense skills.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I'm trying to understand why cunning folk (power up 3, p9 and horror 19) has both animal handling and veterinay on the skill, list. while "village sages" and alike problably wil take care of the local animals, i don't relise why this type of skill has in common with the others on skill list.

Anyone has a tip about it?

regards

GigaNERDs
Veterinary is one of the most essential skills of the local wise-person...saving livestock lives may not be quite as prized as saving human lives, but it's not too far off in a lot of places you'd see this talent.

Similarly, getting animals to cooperate in difficult ways is vitally important, but somewhat arcane.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Veterinary is one of the most essential skills of the local wise-person...saving livestock lives may not be quite as prized as saving human lives, but it's not too far off in a lot of places you'd see this talent.
No quite as prized? There is a reason they would risk minor children to stay out with the flock at night to watch for the scary preditors. Loose the flock or just prized animals would often mean the death of the family.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
lexington

Quote:
The question is, why does the talent have the two cited skills on his set?
That's the question I was answering, perhaps a bit snidely.

It is the skill set of a traditional witch or sage. Talents are thematic.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No quite as prized? There is a reason they would risk minor children to stay out with the flock at night to watch for the scary preditors. Loose the flock or just prized animals would often mean the death of the family.
Ayup. You can always have more children if these die; they are likely to die anywise. You won't survive without the resources provided by those animals.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I recall a quotation from a woman in Cambodia whose family had received a buffalo from Heifer International. She said that they would be better off if her husband died than if the buffalo died, because the buffalo is essential to getting the crop in while the husband isn't.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote